GOODBYTE TL, HELLO CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 03:58 PM

Red face GOODBYTE TL, HELLO CIVIC

I'm trading our 2000 TL for a 2001 Civic coupe EX. Black, spoiler, fog lights, etc. I will get the CR-V back from wifey as a bad-weather car... drive the MR2 on sunny days. She puts many miles on a car, so she will save us big bucks by driving a 31-38 MPG car, plus the payment will be half of what the TL payment is.

After getting the MR2, I realized how much we both love small cars, and don't really need a luxury car.

I'll be sad to let go of the TL. But I will be looking forward to the S2000 I expect to trade the MR2 on next year !!!
Old 05-12-2001, 04:06 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a sad day in TL land.
I hope everything works out for you two.
BTW, the S2000 is going to be sweet!

------------------
Old 05-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn... this is a first... never heard of anyone downgrading to a civic... Man, you think the TL is too big?? Man, i think its still too small... i need me a big body, like a benzo. But im stickin to acura because its worth the money... benzos are for filthy rich peeps...
Old 05-12-2001, 04:28 PM
w.t.f., mate?

That's not a fair trade is it? Does that mean the dealer is gonna give you some $$$ back too?

------------------
~Phil~
2K1 3.2CL Type-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia. Satin silver, bright-white road lamps, and reflective tint, just got a spoiler, baby!!! Uniden 6599 radar detector. Xephyr CAI to be installed on 2/3/01 hopefully.

Old 05-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro

I'm wondering how that will work, trading in a at least $26,000 car for a $18,000 car, but you said you still owe on it, so i guess you have it all figured out.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit, factory body kit, custom grill...
Quiets ride
Old 05-12-2001, 09:03 PM

Cool

yeah, I'm getting money "back". That's why my payment will be $240 instead of $480... My loan will be smaller. BTW, I figured out how much "loss" there was over the year or so I owned the car. Less than $250/month. Not bad at all!

The wife will be driving the Civic. I will be driving a sports car. The CRV is the car that will make sure I never get the sports car wet or salty!

As for the size... well, good things come in small packages too.

BTW, the manager asked me a favor for the trade-in he was giving me... to leave the Bridgestone 225/55's on the car and put the OEM tires in the trunk. Seems that most of the employees at Honda wandered out to admire the tires.

The Michelin Arctic Alpins are going on the CRV next winter.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Einstein on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-12-2001, 09:10 PM

yeah, I'm getting money "back". That's why my payment will be $240 instead of $480... My loan will be smaller. BTW, I figured out how much "loss" there was over the year or so I owned the car. Less than $250/month. Not bad at all!

The wife will be driving the Civic. I will be driving a sports car. The CRV is the car that will make sure I never get the sports car wet or salty!

As for the size... well, good things come in small packages too.

BTW, the manager asked me a favor for the trade-in he was giving me... to leave the Bridgestone 225/55's on the car and put the OEM tires in the trunk (Instead of just re-mounting the OEM tires). Seems that most of the employees at Honda wandered out to admire the tires.

The Michelin Arctic Alpins are going on the CRV next winter. Hope the wheels fit the same.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Einstein on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro

Exclamation

awesome congrats...

have fun spending 1.5 grand in mods and getting 9 hp out of it! hahahhah j/k

We all know you can just drop a B18C in that badboy and smoke Type S's...
Old 05-13-2001, 12:48 AM
Drifting

well, we'll see ya around after you get the S2000! that's a sweet car. actually, the new civics are very nice, my cousin just got one, and it has good quality and good value too.

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 05-13-2001, 02:07 AM
Drifting

Well, we'll miss ya.
I hope you will still be around on this site.
Civics are great fuel-economy car. I considered getting one myself too before... just as a commuter car. Hope you like your new car (I doubt you'll like it as much as you would a TL.)
Old 05-13-2001, 07:47 AM

Einstein,

This board won't be quite the same without you. Good luck with your new ride.
Old 05-13-2001, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Talking

you'll still hang around won't you?

Hey Danny, is that you with a silver stock? same person?
Old 05-13-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro

Good luck with that.

When the dealer gave me the Integra Loaner a couple weeks back, it felt like i was driving a go cart. You're seriously gonna miss the comfort of the TL whether you realize it now or not. NE ways, good luck with the Civic.
Old 05-13-2001, 05:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Don't feel so bad, Einstein...Back in Feb '00 when my mom got into the accident with my car and I was car-less for 2 months, I was seriously considering dumping the TL and getting a '00 Si to futz around with....Guess not..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 05-13-2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by bdimc2001:

Hey Danny, is that you with a silver stock? same person?
He is the original danny.

Anyways, I remember Einstein posting regularly in the ol' days. His responses were always informative and wellspoken. The board is losing a good member if you decide to leave.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:52 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
He is the original danny.

What does that mean?? You're not the fist one that joined the forum? It seems like "Danny" has fewer posts than you do.

------------------
Y2K SiLVeR TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18x7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
TL-S Tail light conversion
Comptech Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint all around
Valentine 1 w/ concealed display

H&R OE Springs for sale
Old 05-13-2001, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Einstein, I haven't had the pleasure to know you yet, but for any guy checking out this topic for the first time, you would have to understand that they would be shocked.

This is a huge downgrade. I mean, you are not even going down to an Accord, but to a Civic? Don't get me wrong, Civics are great cars, but how could you ever settle for that car after driving a TL? Once you have had the good life, it's tough going back.

It's like going back to buy clothes at K-Mart when you always shopped at Macy's.

It's like moving from a single family house to an apartment.

It's like trading in your Pentium 4 computer for a Pentium 3.

As long as you are happy, I guess that is most important. But I'm just venting what most people on here are thinking.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by SLVR TL:
What does that mean?? You're not the fist one that joined the forum? It seems like "Danny" has fewer posts than you do.

yeh, I have more posts, but he registered July 2000...making him one of the OG's of this board, haha.
Old 05-14-2001, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Good Luck with the Civic...I like that car
Old 05-14-2001, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Best of luck with your choices. Hope you'll pop into our board and provide valuable info as you have in the past.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:10 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by acuraguynj:
Einstein, I haven't had the pleasure to know you yet, but for any guy checking out this topic for the first time, you would have to understand that they would be shocked.

This is a huge downgrade. I mean, you are not even going down to an Accord, but to a Civic? Don't get me wrong, Civics are great cars, but how could you ever settle for that car after driving a TL? Once you have had the good life, it's tough going back.

It's like going back to buy clothes at K-Mart when you always shopped at Macy's.

It's like moving from a single family house to an apartment.

It's like trading in your Pentium 4 computer for a Pentium 3.

As long as you are happy, I guess that is most important. But I'm just venting what most people on here are thinking.

It's like trading Oprah Winfrey for Ashley Judd.

Sometimes size and jewelry isn't everything...
Old 05-14-2001, 02:01 PM
Banned

Wink

Originally posted by Einstein:
This would've been true if you were getting an NSX... a Civic is more like Ally McBeal...
Old 05-14-2001, 02:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by grishulia:
This would've been true if you were getting an NSX... a Civic is more like Ally McBeal...
Hahahaha

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"
Old 05-14-2001, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Sometimes size and jewelry isn't everything...
Are you saying that the TL is a hot as Oprah! YIKES! :-). It's more like trading in Angelina Jolie in for Celine Dion, which is JUST NOT RIGHT!

But you all know what I am saying, TL down to a Civic is a huge drop.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:36 PM

Einstein I understand that your just choosing something else. Even though I upgraded my intent was not to upgrade or out do the TL, the X5 just fit my lifestyle better.

------------------
Had a '99 TL w/Navigation system,factory chrome wheels,kit,deck spoiler, burlwood shift knob and V-1 radar detector before it was totalled due to flood damage.

Now I have a '01 BMW X5
Premium Package
Activity Package
Climate Package
Towing Package
Xenon auto-level headlamps
Alpine Mobile Multimedia Station (TV/VCR/NAVI)
19" Mille Miglia Evo 255/50 front 285/45 rear.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally posted by Danny with a silver stock:
yeh, I have more posts, but he registered July 2000...making him one of the OG's of this board, haha.
Plus he's from Stamford, and you KNOW how cool we are!
Old 05-14-2001, 08:14 PM
Acuras Only in

Cool

Ally ? No way !

But seriously, Einstein, still come back to this site once in a while ... This site won't be the same without the "old timers"
Old 05-14-2001, 09:42 PM

Arrow

Don't forget, I'm getting an S2000 next year, and will be driving an MR2 until then.

The wife will be driving the Civic (but I won't mind driving it once in a while, too).

My stock TL, gold and with no mods, attracts a few admirers. But it blends in with all the accords an tauruses out there. I get 500% more admirers with the MR2, and it's just a blue car. Imagine what I'll attract when I get the yellow S2000!

But it's not all attraction. I enjoy driving a car with a lot of feedback and personality. The TL is just too isolative and boring. The romance is over. I look at the car and can't find one reason I shouldn't love the car. But then again, I can't for the life of me say it's a more memorable car than the other dozen cars I have owned.

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

why is everyone talking like he's going somewhere? he just won't be posting as much, not like the man has cancer and is gonna die? Lighten up. See now he'll stay.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:12 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget, I'm getting an S2000 next year, and will be driving an MR2 until then.
Imagine what I'll attract when I get the yellow S2000!

Hey an TL -> MR2 -> S2000!! Heck yeah!! GO for it!!

If you don't need the larger car, and the wife is ok with it. Then, there shouldn't be anything stopping you. Looks like you have several cars, so I'm sure you know what you are doing...
The new civic coupes are pretty nice.

PS. all you guys crack me up with the women comparisons!!
But Ashley Judd?? Come on! Unless you are talking about the S2000.

Civic and Alley McBeal.. maybe. Simpler looking, less features, smaller, can go longer with less fuel..

------------------
June 10, N. Cali Meet - Click Here
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>2001 SSM. 02 tails, 02 vent trim, burlwood knob.

Mods? What mods? I can't afford mods, I'm getting married!!
Vin says 2001, but it's really a 2000 with an upgraded cupholder!!
Old 05-15-2001, 07:44 AM
Pro

Cool

I'm trading our 2000 TL for a 2001 Civic coupe EX. Black, spoiler, fog lights, etc. I will get the CR-V back from wifey as a bad-weather car... drive the MR2 on sunny days. She puts many miles on a car, so she will save us big bucks by driving a 31-38 MPG car, plus the payment will be half of what the TL payment is.

After getting the MR2, I realized how much we both love small cars, and don't really need a luxury car.

I'll be sad to let go of the TL. But I will be looking forward to the S2000 I expect to trade the MR2 on next year !!!
The Honda Civic is a good car.

Another good alternative would have been the 4-door Acura Integra (with its DOHC 1.8L engine).....impeccable build quality and superb fit and finish and terrific handling for a front-driver....and it is a premium small car too....The Honda Civic (with its SOHC 1.7L engine and front Macpherson strut suspension) is a good car, but personally I would have sprung for the leather clad Acura Integra especially since they are going for heavy discounts now, since its replacement the RSX is around the corner. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, then it will provide you with absolutely flawless performance with no repair nightmares over its lifetime. Since its model cycle has spanned several years now, Acura (who builds it in Suzuka,Japan with 100% Japanese components) has perfected and fine-tuned it all these years. I would have sprung for it if it came with a Navigation system (similar to the one in the 3.2TL) and a small V6 engine (2.5-2.8L).

The 4-door Acura Integra Sedan , in addition to all its other good points also has some things that are not as easily visible....it uses a 3-coat 3-bake painting process, while higher-end cars like the Acura 3.2TL makes do with a 2-coat 1-bake painting process....there are lots of other premium visible and not-so-visible touches in that superb little small car....

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on May 15, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-15-2001, 08:57 AM
Instructor

I have a 97 civic and a 01 TL. Look forward to better gas mileage, more noise, rougher ride, poor radio, and easier parking. I would be surprised if the money you make up in better gas consumption will make up for the downside shown above. Especially when you already have taken the depreciation hit from th TL. Dollarwise you are probably betteroff staying with the TL you already own. On the other hand the civic is listed as one of the best transportation values going wrt resale, initial cost, insurance, gas, etc...
Old 05-15-2001, 12:56 PM

too bad they don't make the Si anymore! 18k for a car thats just as fast as the TL, has an 8000 RPM Redline and gets 32-35 MPG if you drive her nice!

Sorry, i just love my Si. Anyway, the S2000 should be awesome, I would give nearly anything for that car!

------------------
~blue rocket~
-1999 Honda Civic Si

Old 05-15-2001, 01:44 PM
Racer

Cool

Originally posted by blue rocket:
too bad they don't make the Si anymore! 18k for a car thats just as fast as the TL, has an 8000 RPM Redline and gets 32-35 MPG if you drive her nice!
Whacthu talkin' bout Willis???

It LIVES!!!

Old 05-15-2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by hunter001:

Another good alternative would have been the 4-door Acura Integra...
I had a 95 GS-R, so I know what you're talking about. I agree it was a great car. But the Integra gets 24/30 MPG while the Civic gets 31/38 (both with automatic). For only 15 hp difference, that's a big difference. Despite the suspension changes, the Civic handles really well (I know, the saleman let me push it). But it also has VTEC, direct ignition, etc.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by stevebo:
I have a 97 civic and a 01 TL. Look forward to better gas mileage, more noise, rougher ride, poor radio, and easier parking. I would be surprised if the money you make up in better gas consumption will make up for the downside shown above. Especially when you already have taken the depreciation hit from th TL. Dollarwise you are probably betteroff staying with the TL you already own. On the other hand the civic is listed as one of the best transportation values going wrt resale, initial cost, insurance, gas, etc...
Actually, the radio is not so bad. It's 4x30 plus 2 tweeters. The MR-2 stereo cranks better than the TL, including a better subwoofer. The ride of the Civic is much better than our 92 Civic EX was.

As for depreciation, I already explained that I have done just fine with my trade-in value. I put $4500 into the TL when I bought it, and got $6500 back out!

If I want a TL again, I would get the 6-speed manual Type-S in a sporty color and never regret trading this one in.

I had the choice to continue paying $3300 more per year in gas and in payments for a car that I just drive back and forth to work. Trust me, I'll be making out better.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by FlyingPig:
Why not trade it directly for a S2000?
I suppose it's a bit too late......
If I did that I would have a MR2 and a S2000, and my wife would still be driving a car that gets the low 20's MPG. She doesn't drive stick shift, so I wouldn't have the CRV to use if she needed it.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Eskimo:
Sounds like a marriage headed for the rocks. Taking the TL on a long road trip will help rekindle the romance.

I had an econo box before and it was fine for puttering around town but out on the open highway I take the TL any day. TL=touring luxury.
My wife falls asleep in the TL because it's so comfortable. So much for THAT idea! I'd make out much better (no pun intended) in the CRV, with the fold-down-flat seats. Touring Luxury = Buick Park Avenue. That's not me.
Old 05-15-2001, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by blue rocket:

Sorry, i just love my Si. Anyway, the S2000 should be awesome, I would give nearly anything for that car!

I had an Integra GS-R, and at the same time I test drove a Del Sol DOHC VTEC. The lack of low-end torque was very noticeable. The 1.6 car was on/off compared to the 1.8's flexibility. Likewise, the 2.2 Prelude is better than the Integra for driveability. But then again, we're not buying these 4-cylinder cars to loaf around at 2,000 RPM, now are we
Old 05-15-2001, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Prez808:
Whacthu talkin' bout Willis???

It LIVES!!!
How about these cars?

Quick Reply: GOODBYTE TL, HELLO CIVIC