Getting stucked in Neutral when i was trying to Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Getting stucked in Neutral when i was trying to Reverse

Hi,Everyone.I recently bought 2000 TL for $5000(100000KM).Everything is fine ,driving smooth.

But two weeks ago when i was trying to Reverse the car during park.It stucked in Netutral .It can goes to Drive but no Reverse.So i drive to dealers and they told me the fuse blowned and replaced one.It works for two weeks.

But now the same problem came again.Still. the shift stuck in Neutral.

Is anyone can told me is just me or TL both have this problem? And how to fix it.I guess it may not only the fuse problem.

This is my first car and so far i like it a lot.It's just this problem made me upset...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Stuck in neutral....fuses ?

Originally Posted by aucragirl
But two weeks ago when i was trying to Reverse the car during park.It stucked in Netutral .It can goes to Drive but no Reverse.So i drive to dealers and they told me the fuse blowned and replaced one.
Is anyone can told me is just me or TL both have this problem? And how to fix it.I guess it may not only the fuse problem.

Hey Aucragal, Call the dealer and load up on some spare fuses until you can get to a real mechanic to resolve your "stuck in neutral" problem. You may want to talk to the dealer who sold you the car ! Best luck with your "1st" !
Old 10-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it in Netutral position could not move, or in Netutral position but car no action?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you may have a short in the brake light circuit,,causing no brake lights
when that happens you have to use an override switch in the car to get into gear
the switch is under that little cover on right side of shifter- remove cover - insert car key and push down, while foot on brake pedal
now you can shift into N - remove key--insert in ignition and start car

ck the brake lights- all 4 bulbs in the corners and the center light must work

ask dealer what fuse blew,,they are to protect the rest of the electrical downline
look in phone book for smaller ad,, honda acura import car shop- or electrical shop
for more help
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

other possible on brake lights being part of the problem is the brake light switch at the pedal
those get loose,,or fail
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 PM
7th Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Aucragal, Call the dealer and load up on some spare fuses until you can get to a real mechanic to resolve your "stuck in neutral" problem. You may want to talk to the dealer who sold you the car ! Best luck with your "1st" !
I went to the mechanic,they replaced a "shift lock solenoid" ,which cost me $200...it worked for 6 days and now the problem happen again...it totally drive me crazy....
Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by deeplies
Is it in Netutral position could not move, or in Netutral position but car no action?
Well,in netutral,the car still can move .and the shift also can go to "Drive". It's just stuck on N and cant go to Reverse and Park.....
Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM
7th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you may have a short in the brake light circuit,,causing no brake lights
when that happens you have to use an override switch in the car to get into gear
the switch is under that little cover on right side of shifter- remove cover - insert car key and push down, while foot on brake pedal
now you can shift into N - remove key--insert in ignition and start car

ck the brake lights- all 4 bulbs in the corners and the center light must work

ask dealer what fuse blew,,they are to protect the rest of the electrical downline
look in phone book for smaller ad,, honda acura import car shop- or electrical shop
for more help
I went to the mechanic,they replaced a "shift lock solenoid" ,which cost me $200...it worked for 6 days and now the problem happen again...i call the mechanic he told me to put a pen or sth in the right side of shifter and press it.then the shifter can go to Reverse when i try to back up...
It's just the problem is still there ....which made me upset...this is my first car....i bought it less than two month and i went to mechanic for 3 times....
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

they are describing same thing I did in case brake light switch is out
that lock on right side of shifter prevents it from shifting OUT of Park,
,dont know it affects N to R,,never heard that

the shop owes you a refund as they did not correctly diagnose and repair the problem
all work comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and labor
there is a state agency to protect your rights

If they are screwing around go to another place
look in phone book for small ad under auto repair,,one with acura honda listed on ad will be better choice

do you have a guy friend who knows about cars-- a neighbor maybe--that can go in and deal with the manager with you?
Shops try to bs everyone, especially ladies who just bought the car

sad to say- but all used cars need something or two or three
thats why they were for sale!!
expect to spend $1000 on a 5g car and it will be back to spec
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
7th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
they are describing same thing I did in case brake light switch is out
that lock on right side of shifter prevents it from shifting OUT of Park,
,dont know it affects N to R,,never heard that

the shop owes you a refund as they did not correctly diagnose and repair the problem
all work comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and labor
there is a state agency to protect your rights

If they are screwing around go to another place
look in phone book for small ad under auto repair,,one with acura honda listed on ad will be better choice

do you have a guy friend who knows about cars-- a neighbor maybe--that can go in and deal with the manager with you?
Shops try to bs everyone, especially ladies who just bought the car

sad to say- but all used cars need something or two or three
thats why they were for sale!!
expect to spend $1000 on a 5g car and it will be back to spec
Thanks for your suggestion..

too bad i m actually in canada...not sure canada has the same policy with states....
i just sent the car to the repair shop this morning...
If it won't work...i'm thinking maybe go to Acura Dealer for help( i know it will cost me more money)...
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know if you're jumping around between shops and now the dealership, but as 01tl4tl previously suggested.....make sure that you fully understand the reason why work is required and especially if it "did'nt" actually fix the problem.

Take someone else along and always get everything documented on the receipt for repairs.
All reputable shops should stand behind their work ethics.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad i m actually in canada...not sure canada has the same policy with states....
If it won't work...i'm thinking maybe go to Acura Dealer for help( i know it will cost me more money)...
I believe Canada will have similar policy, especially for dealer.
Find their manager
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

If it won't work...i'm thinking maybe go to Acura Dealer for help( i know it will cost me more money)..
If you look at a single bill one at a time it may be, but by time you start going to multiple shops all the time spent the dealer may end up cheaper in the long run
Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ok now as for the problem. Without actually being there to test with a volt meter it will be hard to say with certainty. You replaced the shift lock solenoid and that worked for a little bit but then the problem came back. I would start out by checking/replacing the shift lock relay (under the hood drivers side relay box top right (closest to the windshield when standing in front of the car) and check the ground as well. I would also check the brake switch. If the brake isnt depressed you cant shift. If that sensor isnt working you wont be able to shift it to R or P.

Your problem sounds like a open/short in the system possibly. I would also have the wiring by the range switch inspected to see if its been chewed thru or melted?

The last thing would be the ECU causing the issue.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (11-08-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
7th Gear

Updating...

I found when the shifter won't go in to park from neutral.The radio also doesn't work.
So the mechanic told me maybe the radio system had a short circuit problem which cause the fuse blown all the time.

So right now.they cut off all the radio system and see if the problem still coming or not...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
The radio and gear selector aren't connected. You really need to take your car away from those shady mechanics right now and get back whatever you've paid them.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Aucragirl, do ya have the factory stereo or has it been replaced ?

While it's difficult to say, without knowing the exact fuse which has been blowing, but it's remotely possible that the wiring may have been messed up by a rookie installer. Maybe a nearby harness was inadvertently tapped into and is causing a short resulting in the issue which you're experiencing.

How many different mechanics have been involved in this problem, with no answer !
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Fuse #8 in the driver's side dash fuse panel feeds the radio, both power outlets, and the shift lock relay. What do you typically plug in the power outlet(s)? Occasionally phone and other chargers will work ok, but draw too many amps. Also try wiggling the plug in connector and cord with the radio on. Make sure a coin or other metal object hasn't fallen into either outlet.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Aucragirl, do ya have the factory stereo or has it been replaced ?

While it's difficult to say, without knowing the exact fuse which has been blowing, but it's remotely possible that the wiring may have been messed up by a rookie installer. Maybe a nearby harness was inadvertently tapped into and is causing a short resulting in the issue which you're experiencing.

How many different mechanics have been involved in this problem, with no answer !

Maybe i got some misunderstandings at the begining post...My bad... i only went to only one repair shop...
I actually bought this car from craigslist.it's a private sale...
The first time the shifter didn't work,i went to the mechanics and they replaced a blown fuse.
then the problem happened again,they replayce the shift lock solenoid...
The last time.they cutted off the radio system cause when the shifter didn't work, the radio didin't work too.and also,they replaced a few fuses.(they didn't charge me this time,and i already spent total $300 on this problem).They told me i should wait to see if the problem related to the radio system or not,...if yes ,i shoud replace the whole radio system...

My plan is no matter the problem is related to the radio system...i will let them restore the radio system .if the problem happen again,i will go to Acura dealer to fix it...
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
Fuse #8 in the driver's side dash fuse panel feeds the radio, both power outlets, and the shift lock relay. What do you typically plug in the power outlet(s)? Occasionally phone and other chargers will work ok, but draw too many amps. Also try wiggling the plug in connector and cord with the radio on. Make sure a coin or other metal object hasn't fallen into either outlet.
Ignore this. I didn't look at the year. 03 is different from 00 which has an in-line fuse to the power outlet.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

shifter....or.....stereo ?

The first time the shifter didn't work,i went to the mechanics and they replaced a blown fuse...then the problem happened again,they replayce the shift lock solenoid...

The last time.they cutted off the radio system cause when the shifter didn't work, the radio didin't work too.and also,they replaced a few fuses.(they didn't charge me this time,and i already spent total $300 on this problem).

They told me i should wait to see if the problem related to the radio system or not,...if yes ,i shoud replace the whole radio system...

My plan is no matter the problem is related to the radio system...i will let them restore the radio system .if the problem happen again,i will go to Acura dealer to fix it...

I'd be more concerned about the shifting issue. For the kind of money and time you've already spent, the shop should've had you fixed up by now. It appears as though you are no better off, other than being out of $300. I feel your pain !