Future owner, want honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 08:37 PM

Cool Future owner, want honest opinions

ALL:

I am very interested in the Acura TL. The factors that I am weighing most heavily are its reliability, performance, and comfort. I have driven Saab's, BMW, and some American cars, and fell in love. However, I would like an honest opinion. What is your biggest complaint about your TL? I'm looking to purchase a 2000 TL (can't afford a new one) and wondered if anyone had any problems with their car, second thoughts, or praise.

Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2001, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a few complaints, but the superior Acura service department has made me very happy. I've had seat creaks and a transmission issue (turned out all I needed was the fluid changed).

I'd say go for the car. Mine is a 2000 and I love it. Especially with my Comptech upgrades now.

Good luck!

------------------
Jason
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank>

</A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Comptech Headers & Exhaust
Comptech Springs & Sways
Comptech Air Filter
Factory Spoiler & CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
35% Tint, Tinted Rear Plate Cover
Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging From Trunk
Removed Front Plate Holder
Old 03-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

Great car! I love it. Try and get a 01', because they are trying to get rid of them for cheap! All my problems are minor and i've been known to be picky . Best car out there for the price, quality and reliablity!

Just buy it!

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit, factory body kit...
Quiets ride
Old 03-30-2001, 08:47 PM
Racer

the only thing i gotta complain about is those squeaks and rattles, however, they say it can be fixed. Theres is no better car out there for 30 g's.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Occasional seat squeaks are my only complaint, and they are really minor. Really, you wouldn't notice the squeaks in nearly any other car but the TL is so quiet inside.

Awesome car, you should buy one. I personally think it's worth easily five grand more - think 530i with slightly inferior handling.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-30-2001, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Red face

The car has been mechanically flawless since I got it in 99, but I can not get used to the non stop squeaks and rattles. They are a bummer.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:18 PM
Pro

If you have taken the car for a test drive, you will be driving the same car in two years, and maybe even longer. These things are built like no other car I have driven, and they don't have reliability issues like other cars do. I see no reason why I would ever buy another car other than an Acura (except for maybe a Porsche).
Old 03-30-2001, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Honestly - the only complaint I have about my 2000 TL is that it's not a 2002 TL-S. I think the TL-S "fixed" anything I didn't like about the 2000TL (mainly minor stuff like not having an in-dash 6 disc changer, fog-lights, memory seats, etc)

--MING

------------------
Ming Chen - ming@viewaskew.com
2000 WDP 3.2 TL w/NAV and Inspire Taillights
Old 03-30-2001, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Great car!!!...Only Issue like everyone said is the squeaking seats....I hate that.

Overall the best buy for $30k....
Old 03-30-2001, 10:00 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My biggest complaint is that freakin Honda decided to sell the 2002 so damn early in the year and didn't allow me to have the choice to choose.. and the improvements they built into the 02 could have been put in the 01!!

But seriously, I love the car. When you start comparing it to others, you can see the quality and comfort options the TL has over other cars in it's class.

The only problems that I really have had is the squeaky sunroof... but that will be fixed tomorrow. The other is that there is this stupid CD holder thing that I hate.

Oh yeah.. don't forget to get Navi too.

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 03-31-2001, 12:27 AM
O.G.

JUST BUY IT!!!

Seriously, I have a 99TL and it has been mechanically flawless. The only problem was the squeaking sunroof and I got it fixed. Now it is perfect and I have close to 48K miles on it already.
If you can, buy the 2001. They are really trying hard to get rid of them.
I love this car more and more everyday.
Trust us, you will not regret buying it.
Old 03-31-2001, 12:30 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

HONDAS KICK FAT AS*!!!
Old 03-31-2001, 05:05 AM
Burning Brakes

sorry to sound arrogant, but check out my pics and tell me you don't want that car. It has some squeak issues, but they are easily fixed with some lube. Plus. with the right mods, you can't say sh*t about the handling cuz it feels like a longer s2000 to me.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 03-31-2001, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Smile

After over a year of ownership of my 2000TL I have been very happy. I drive on pothole DC. streets & have had no rattles. The only problems that I had came on the first week of ownership.The SRS light came on & did not go off. Acura had a service bulletin about this problem.They fixed it this was a very minor problem.My heated seat light switch would not light up in the high position.The heated seat would work but the light switch would have to be pused a few times for it to light. Acura had some bad switches in some cars.This problem was fixed & I have had no problems with it. I have used my heated seat alot in the past 2 winters.I read Consumer Reports Buying Guide for used cars the TL gets high marks.Like someone said try to get a deal on a 2001 if you can. I see you test drove BMW,SABB & some American cars & feel in love with them. The TL can conpete with all of them & most of the time beat them in most areas. If you were thinking about a BMW 3 series its smaller than the TL & does not have some of the features.The SABB is a quirky kind of car nothing speacial about the 9-3. Lincoln LS is about the best thing out there to compare with a TL. CHRYS 300M was not my thing because of the interior workmanship. GM has nothing to compare with the TL. The Grand Prix GTP has all that plastic looking inside.The TL is an entry level upscale sedan.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FTM-1 on March 31, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-31-2001, 12:37 PM
AC
Drifting

I love the TL, best bang for the buck, minus the Corvette

Yeah, try to get a new 01 since the 2000 will run you close to $24K anyway, unless you find a private seller. I would sell mine, but the wife now loves the freakin car. As someone put it, I hate the creaking seats, but the great Acura Service makes me not even worry about the creaks. Look at it this way, I have a 540i and its seats creak too. I don't think you'll ever find a car whose seats won't creak eventually.
Old 03-31-2001, 04:01 PM

[QUOTE]I drive on pothole DC. streets & have had no rattles. [QUOTE]

That is my biggest concern - I drive to work on Kenilworth Ave., 295, and downtown DC roads, and they are scattered with potholes, and debris. The one reason I am steering away from the Saab is that reason. I have heard nothing but bad news when it comes to rattles from the car. The seat is another issue - thanks for your comments.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

I haven't heard a single squeek or a rattle in my interior, and mine's got 18K miles on it. So I have no idea about what you guys are talking about.

Answering your question: I have been VERY happy with the car. I considered an Audi A4 when I was looking, but I am more than happy I went with the Acura. Mine is a 2000 Navi, and I can almost guarantee you'll be happy with the car if you do choose to get it.
Old 03-31-2001, 08:32 PM
Drifting

No complaints that can't be remedied with some aftermarket touch.

No foglights - got PIAA's
Soft susp - got lowering springs
crappy tires - got 18" rims w/ sprt tires

That's about it... I love everything else about the TL.

------------------
Y2K SiLVeR TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18x7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
H&R OEM Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint all around
Valentine 1 w/ concealed display
Old 04-02-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro

Amen to the above post from Black2000.... in addition to the above mentioned points, grippier tires would also help make this out-standing car, an even better one...

We had made a 2500 mile round-trip to Illinois (from NJ) a while back, through Ohio.... absolutely flawless performance.... donot forget the Navigation system with this car.... few other cars on the road offer this fantastic equipment even as an option... ... the overall mileage during the trip was 32mpg with 4 people and light luggage....at 70-80mph with automatic climate control on...no squeaks/rattles or any other un-pleasant situations yet (knocking on burl-wood shift knob)...

The only issue I have had with this car (no reflection on the car) is that my windshield had developed a crack about 3 months back, after a stone hit it on the highway... the wind-shield was replaced at the dealer (paid for by me)....

Actually, if you do a search, there was a poll from long-term owners of the TL about a month or so back (people who have owned the car for over 50-60000 miles).... the only issues I read about were about a few squeaks/rattles...

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
It's a great car!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...
= ------------------&gt;
Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 04-02-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro

My only complaints were that the handling was soft (my previous car was a '96 328 is), and the rim/tires were ugly with excessive wheel gap. Solved the problem over the weekend with the installation of Comptech springs and sways, and 18 inch rims and 225/40 P7000s. The BMW is now a distant memory, and the TL is perfect.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

All I can say is you'll love it.

Reliability: impeckable (sp), Honda is known for it's reliability. And you'll find that maintenance is a lot cheaper than some other makes, especially BMW.

Performance: Yes, you can get higher performance, but not much, and at what sacrifice of comfort, reliability or financial costs (especially fuel).

Comfort: I like it, I think the car is great. I had a CL before my TL, and the TL comfort level is higher yet (I didn't think that was possible). For me it's been the most comfortable car I've tested or owned.

Biggest complaint: None.... Trully none yet. Like my two previous Acura's it's been great, and I know that if something does come up with the car Acura will take care of it pronto. Some people (especially '99's) have complained about squeeks and such, but I know that if you have a good dealer they'll go through exteme pains to get rid of them (seen it first hand).

Old 04-02-2001, 04:29 PM
Racer

One thing to add:

You asked about my biggest complaint. It would probably be the squeak I get from the rubber gasket around the moonroof. It's easily fixed with silicon spray every 2-3 months (depending on percipitation!), but I wish it was quiet all the time. And...
  • I wish the moonroof controls were on the ceiling where they belong.
  • I wish it had memory seats.
  • I wish there were rear reading lamps.
  • I wish the OEM tires were more sporting.
  • I wish it had been available in that great new dark grey color.
  • I wish, um.. uh... I think I'm done.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by black2000 on April 02, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-02-2001, 04:41 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by black2000:
One thing to add:
You asked about my biggest complaint. It would probably be the squeak I get from the rubber gasket around the moonroof. It's easily fixed with silicon spray every 2-3 months (depending on percipitation!), but I wish it was quiet all the time. And...

Hey talk to your dealer, i took mine in this past Sat. and they fixed it with some tape or sealant in addition to the silicon spray. Hopefully this will last longer than 2-3 months.

------------------
"Knowledge is potential, Action is power."
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 04-02-2001, 06:54 PM
Racer

Reliability was king in my decision: you just can't beat Acura (OK, maybe Lexus beats it)

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 04-02-2001, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
rattle and squeak.

broken center console, lousy gas mileage (16-19).

I just recently discovered a new problem. The humming noise from underneath the trunk. The technician believe that the exhaust is leaking. But so far can't pin point the location.

Other than that, the car is okay. The stock tire are poor. So you may want to consider an upgrade. Traction control is not really that great since its a low speed system. I have nearly lost control 3 times within last 2 month. Twice on 237 and once on 880.

This is a decent family hauler. But comparing it to a 530i it not even close.

IMHO, this car's chassis is way too soft. Driving my 530i so far has proved that point.

But not bashing TL. It is still a tremendous value as there aren't any other $30k car that can match its feature.

Service wise, I have bad experience with one particular dealership. But otherwise, was treated with great respect.

Highly recommend Acura of Pleasanton in the bay area.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:18 PM
Instructor

My biggest complaint is that you can't raise both windshield wiper blades while they're in the OFF position - only the driver's side blade can be raised while the passenger side blade is partially under the hood. I have to turn the wiper ON, let the blades start it's upward wipe, then turn off the ignition to stop the blades - THEN I can raise both blades (wipe them clean, clean the glass area under the blades, etc...)

Other than this MINOR irritant, I just LOVE THIS CAR!

Just Me
Old 04-02-2001, 07:42 PM
Racer

U fell in love with the car, so what u like about it? We tell u the samething man, just get it, it's all good.

I wouldn't say this about I30, ES300, or Mellienia S, Diamaite.

Acura home run on this one for sure.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:45 PM

Honestly, the seat creaks are my biggest complaint because I when I ride with the stereo off, I like it to be quiet, maybe hear the rumble of the engine...but the seat creaking drives me insane. My solution: Turn the music up.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:58 PM
Pro

It's a nice value priced sedan. It's very comfortable for 80% of my driving, which is in city traffic. After a stress filled day in the office you will look forward to coming home in your TL. As a serious driving machine it doesn't not compare to Bimmers nor do I suspect Acura had such intentions for the TL. As far as quality is concerned it is 98% good. Minor flaws you would not expect to find in other near luxury cars from competitors such as Lexus, Infinity are the squeaky weather strip on the driver's door (easily fixed by dealer), the occassional squeaky seat and the cheap plastic covering the pillars where the front seat belts come out of. Good luck dude.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:44 PM
Racer

As far as reliability and comfort, you just can't do much better. Acuras have always had sterling reliability, even better than Honda's. JD Powers surveys, Consumer Reports, etc. all bear that out. And I'm with you - I didn't realize how important reliability was to me until I owned a car (a Ford) that wasn't - It drove me bezerk! I was so frustrated with the constant problems that I ended up selling the car much earlier than I planned.

The TL is also supremely comfortable. I just completed a 3,400 mile vacation trip, and the TL made the driving a real pleasure. We had one 950 mile day and, while we were all tired at the end, I was much less fatigued than I thought I would be. The car is smooth, quiet and comfortable, and can cruise at any speed you care to go, all day long. And potholes? Man, I live in Boston! DC can't hold a candle to our crappy roads. The TL smooths 'em out just fine.

Performance is the one area where the TL can be bested. Although it's quick enough and fast enough, it doesn't handle with the precision, balance, and reflexes of the very best (I'm thinking BMW...) The steering is precise, but lighter than I'd prefer. The brakes are also a little soft. It leans more in the corners (although the rear wheels follow the fronts around the corners very nicely.) My guess is that bigger sway bars would probably go a long way towards addressing this (My car is stock.)

Before I get flamed, let me emphasise that my criticisms of the TL are relative to the best among its competitors. I am very satisfied with the car's performance, and extremely satisfied with the complete package.

And I think that, on balance, it beats its competition: It is more reliable and more comfortable than the BMW 3 series, the only car that outperforms it in any serious way in this price range. It also comes with a lot more features than the Bimmer for the money (not to mention a back seat big enough to stretch out in for a few hundred miles...)

I don't hesitate to recommend a TL.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 04-03-2001, 04:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
>the cheap plastic covering the pillars where the front seat belts come out of<

Sorry, compare to 50K plus BMW, Acura's plastic parts are much simply much better in quality.
Old 04-03-2001, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ming:
[B]Honestly - the only complaint I have about my 2000 TL is that it's not a 2002 TL-S. I think the TL-S "fixed" anything I didn't like about the 2000TL (mainly minor stuff like not having an in-dash 6 disc changer, fog-lights, memory seats, etc)

--MING
Hi, I saw your post and I agree with you. I was wondering your opinion on trading in the 2000 TL for the TL type S. My TL has 13000 miles on it and mainly I want the extra HP buy the other stuff is good too. By the way I live in Rockville, MD. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2001, 07:22 PM

Everyone:

Thanks so much for your replies. You have helped me tremendously!! This is a VERY big investment for me, and most people, outside of purchasing a home. I just wanted to make sure that all of my bases were covered. Man am I glad that I found this website!!

On another note, I realize that this car is impecable when it comes to reliability. My question is this - do most of you take your car to the Acura dealer for all repairs? Some? Reason being, I have found a great mechanic, that has fixed my car for the past several years. I don't know if they even service Acura's, but I'm wondering from your perspective, if it's best to take it to the dealer for oil change, alignment, water pump, etc., or to a local garage.

Again - everyone, THANKS SO MUCH for all your help.

Alex.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:57 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

Actually, I always have my car serviced at the dealer. But you do not have to.

Basically, you will have to keep receipts of scheduled maintenance performed to maintain your warranty. Where you do the service is immaterial, as long as the mandatory maintenance is performed. You can even do the maintenance yourself.

But the assumption is that since the dealer services Acura cars every day, they would know exactly what to do and how to do it. Therefore I get my servicing done at the dealer.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires