Is fuel system/fuel injector cleaner safe for our cars??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 06:26 PM
Team Owner

for the cost versus risk versus performance gain-
many will simply remove the resonator box- which comes out if you are installing a long reach cai
see diy for many good reasons to do that over a long ram kit, including drains in the splash panel below a giant air storage area~

short ram kits just take in hot air from the engine compartment
Old 07-27-2010 | 07:59 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by crazyjkz
I'm kinda confused as to what intake to get for my TL. I really like AEM but now I'm thinking maybe it would be easier just to get the Short Ram system, I see they make one for the 2002 CL which is essentially the same car as my 2002 TL so logically I would have to think it would fit with no problem. I also like Injen's systems, originally I wanted to get the AEM CAI but I keep on reading and hearing different things like it only takes about a teaspoon of water to create hydrolock in the engine and if the filter is below the hood level there is always a risk of enough water getting into the filter to create a possible devastating hydrolock situation which kinda scares me.

Does anyone have any idea on what kind of approximate gains I could expect in hp and torque with either the AEM or Injen short-ram intake systems and which one is the preferred system over the other? Also is there really any risk of hydrolock with the AEM CAI with or without the bypass valve and is it really worth the extra money and extra hassle of installation to go with the AEM CAI over the AEM or Injen short-ram intake systems?

Also is it normal for the yellow "maintenance required" dash light to blink on and off a few times right after you start the engine on a 2002 TL?
you could always go comptech icebox

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the light means its close to 7500 miles since last time the oil change reminder light was reset
It will blink more insistantly until it goes on solid one day
Time for oil change!!
easy DIY reset too
means you need an oil change

for the cost versus risk versus performance gain-
many will simply remove the resonator box- which comes out if you are installing a long reach cai
see diy for many good reasons to do that over a long ram kit, including drains in the splash panel below a giant air storage area~

short ram kits just take in hot air from the engine compartment
and kinda pointless (even the stock one is cold air iirc)
Old 07-27-2010 | 09:35 PM
Advanced

Ok I was planning on changing my oil and filter this weekend anyway so I will take care of it.

Whats the details on this Comptech Icebox intake system and where can I buy one online for my 2002 TL non-Type S?

Well if the stock system is a cold air system then wouldn't an AEM or Injen short-ram intake system kind of act like a cold air intake because the cone filter would be right where the ram air passage is from the fender and what not? So in retrospec wouldn't it be taking in cold air from that hole that remains when you remove the stock airbox?? I just want to try and get the best intake that I can get for my car that will give me the most hp and torque gains without running the risk of hydrolock that's all.
Old 07-27-2010 | 09:43 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by crazyjkz
Ok I was planning on changing my oil and filter this weekend anyway so I will take care of it.

Whats the details on this Comptech Icebox intake system and where can I buy one online for my 2002 TL non-Type S?

Well if the stock system is a cold air system then wouldn't an AEM or Injen short-ram intake system kind of act like a cold air intake because the cone filter would be right where the ram air passage is from the fender and what not? So in retrospec wouldn't it be taking in cold air from that hole that remains when you remove the stock airbox?? I just want to try and get the best intake that I can get for my car that will give me the most hp and torque gains without running the risk of hydrolock that's all.
where from... right here http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=2374 (and take your pick lol, but also if you notice there is one for a type-s and one for a base/preminum

as far as ram air from the fender and such, some but really though, alot of the air will still come from the engine compartment, since that will be the easiest path for it to come from (compared to putting the filter in a cooler spot to begin with, to pull air from)

then the last part, as long as you don't flinch at the price, i would say comptech wins hands down (since it already has a seperate flap for air to come in if needed, and it is still before the filter; then also the filter is serviceable from the top which is REALLY NICE; then also it does not have metal piping so heatsoak is a bit less of an issue)

Last edited by friesm2000; 07-27-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2010 | 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Im cheap and like the remove intake resonator way- throw in a K&N and enjoy!
Thats what the head tech at dealer told me was the best option for more airflow from a safe location

you dont actually force or ram air into the engine
Its 20 plus inches vacuum will pull what it needs thru whatever piping is involved

Having a large storage bin- several cubic feet of available air on demand- is what works best vs a pipe of limited diameter

Water would have to be at full car flooding height to get into the stock airbox--you keep that in place- look under car at bottem inner fender panel- see the many drains in it!?

stay out of waist deep water~ or the cai location will be the least of your worries
Old 07-27-2010 | 11:28 PM
B A N N E D

Im cheap and like the remove intake resonator way- throw in a K&N and enjoy!
Thats what the head tech at dealer told me was the best option for more airflow from a safe location

you dont actually force or ram air into the engine
Its 20 plus inches vacuum will pull what it needs thru whatever piping is involved

Having a large storage bin- several cubic feet of available air on demand- is what works best vs a pipe of limited diameter

Water would have to be at full car flooding height to get into the stock airbox--you keep that in place- look under car at bottem inner fender panel- see the many drains in it!?

stay out of waist deep water~ or the cai location will be the least of your worries
as said you should not be driving in that deep of water to begin with
Old 07-28-2010 | 09:12 AM
Team Owner

true AND I am glad the bottem inlets to the airbox are nice and high,
so I dont worry if the nose goes thru a big puddle or some splash.. like I would if the inlet were at the very nose
Old 07-28-2010 | 09:55 PM
B A N N E D

true AND I am glad the bottem inlets to the airbox are nice and high,
so I dont worry if the nose goes thru a big puddle or some splash.. like I would if the inlet were at the very nose
let alone being pretty well protected by the bumper cover itself from the start
Old 07-28-2010 | 11:56 PM
Team Owner

hmm- the long rams I have seen for the TL had the filter right behind the lower grill opening, open to the airflow
my 01 had the fake fog light indents so I removed the driver side one with a cutout tool to feed more direct outside air to the `storage space` in the inner fenderwell
Old 07-29-2010 | 12:06 AM
B A N N E D

hmm- the long rams I have seen for the TL had the filter right behind the lower grill opening, open to the airflow
my 01 had the fake fog light indents so I removed the driver side one with a cutout tool to feed more direct outside air to the `storage space` in the inner fenderwell
as you kinda say the "storage space" is pretty well protected, and you opened it up more then stock, so yes you would have to be more "concerned", but even then as long as you don't drive though any deep puddles, no worries (and that is also normally where the filter for CAIs sit anyways)
Old 07-29-2010 | 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Just use the TechTron; I've been using it for years in my TL w/o issue - it's good stuff.