Front end clunking. Figured out what it was.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaqs2002TLS
I take it you don't like taking your car to the stealership? After all that money, time and frustration it probably would've been worth a shot. Just have them inspect it for ~50-60 or maybe free. Little too late I guess.

Anyway , you deserve a congrats!!!
I dont like taking my car any where. Only place i bring my car is to the alignment shop, because that is simply something you cant do without the equipment. I can do every thing else. The dealer would have charged me well over 100 dollars to find out what the issue was. I did it for free.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
My issue was 2 fold. One part was the rack, the other was the end links. Tierods shouldnt have much movement in them at all. They should be tight and require good effort to get them to twist (tops under 1/4 inch)

So can the tie rods on the power steering be changed or is the play from the rack itself?

I had a clunking sound in coming from the rear once and it turned out to be that dumbell looking part as the picture he posted That link but in the rear passenger side.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking

I had a clunking problem a month back, i would hear this annoying clunking noise during regular driving even if it wasnt a bump ... sound also came when i was turning...
mechanic replaced the links ... ( forget to ask him to elaborate) but he replaced the links underneath , and the car runs smooth and quiet as ever
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlack
So can the tie rods on the power steering be changed or is the play from the rack itself?

I had a clunking sound in coming from the rear once and it turned out to be that dumbell looking part as the picture he posted That link but in the rear passenger side.
Yes the tierod ends can be replaced. If there is play in them its probably from them (especially if you can twist them like you claim)
That dumbell looking thing is the endlink
Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where can you buy the tierod ends? On the Acura parts websites I dont see them seperately.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
before changing the part, how did you decide it was the tierod ends? Mine are fine and tight from what I can tell but I am thinking this has something to do with the sway endlinks or sway bar. Possibly the upper arm hitting the fender well from bing dropped? I still dont know.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlack
Where can you buy the tierod ends? On the Acura parts websites I dont see them seperately.
Look under PS Gearbox. (11 13)

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jproy
before changing the part, how did you decide it was the tierod ends? Mine are fine and tight from what I can tell but I am thinking this has something to do with the sway endlinks or sway bar. Possibly the upper arm hitting the fender well from bing dropped? I still dont know.
If your having clunking it may be the endlinks. Mine made the noise when you yanked the swaybar with the weight on the car. Its not the arm hitting the fender from being lowered. If it was hitting that you would have other problems
Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I need to get some ramps and check that out. Its driving me nuts.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
i doubt mine is the rack, cause it clunks when i turn too.
im thinking mine is now endlinks or tierod ends.
i know its not the springs cause i changed out the springs for new ones.
its not the ball joints since they still look good and arent leaking.
as for the shocks, they dont leak but they do take a few seconds to rebound but this would be my second guess.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
i doubt mine is the rack, cause it clunks when i turn too.
im thinking mine is now endlinks or tierod ends.
i know its not the springs cause i changed out the springs for new ones.
its not the ball joints since they still look good and arent leaking.
as for the shocks, they dont leak but they do take a few seconds to rebound but this would be my second guess.
Just because your balljoints look good doesnt mean they arent bad. You cant see a bad ball joint, and they really dont "leak" they can have a torn boot and grease coming out, but not leaking. ONLY way to know is to lift the car and apply pressure to them and yank and pry on them to see if there is movement.
Shocks, same thing. They dont have to be leaking to be bad. If they are original id bet they are probably past their life.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this has become a general Q&A thread on driveability noises, I have one to throw in:

I have a strange noise that seems to happen, unrelated to speed, at a specific compression on the suspension noticed under braking (seems like left front). So, when I am installing my RT cat the other day, I notice that there is seemingly seepage from the LF strut. The question is, can a strut that is, as you said, past its life and leaking make a buzzing sound under braking due to loss of the hydraulic cushioning?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

it may be the result of it thats causing other things to make the noise. Ive never heard a shock make a buzzing noise but i wouldnt be amazed if it was.

I think alot of people need to realize these cars are getting old now. Even with low miles age is starting to take its toll on a lot of parts. And many of these parts should be starting to be replaced soon for many.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Dude, i totally understand. I am just now starting to realize it. I have plans of H&R sport and Tokica's, but still wavering between the blues and the adjustable ones. Actually need to check my ball joints really well, but know that my tie rod ends seem to be good. Suppose the old creaky bones are starting to ache!

Thanks for your help.

Oh, do you know whether there would be a good advantage (aside from adjustability) to the adjustables. I haven't heard any complaints on the blues.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly with the miles we are all starting to get replacing the ball joints regardless isnt a bad idea. I prefer replacing the whole arm (upper and lower) due to getting new bushings with them as well. End links are another good one to replace with age. (as ive found out)

The blues are nice. Only thing nice about the adjustable ones is just that, being able to fine tune it. If your going to spend the money on adjustable ones i would go with the pricier koni yellows.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks man. I will look into those. I also see browsing acuraoemparts in my future . . .
Old 05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Another nice thing about the yellows is they have an reversible perch for the spring to raise or lower slightly more

Oh and look here for control arms
http://www.macautoparts.net/Catalog....ategoryid=5900
Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Is that where you bought yours? You are pleased with them, I assume?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bibledriver
Is that where you bought yours? You are pleased with them, I assume?
yes. and yes
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Just because your balljoints look good doesnt mean they arent bad. You cant see a bad ball joint, and they really dont "leak" they can have a torn boot and grease coming out, but not leaking. ONLY way to know is to lift the car and apply pressure to them and yank and pry on them to see if there is movement.
Shocks, same thing. They dont have to be leaking to be bad. If they are original id bet they are probably past their life.
my autoshop teacher helped me try to solve the problem by using a large pry bar and applying pressure to the joints on the lift. no noise came from them and no budge.
not sure if these shocks are original but they are OEM so they might be. shocks would be what I replace after i inspect the endlinks and tierod ends. its just that i doubt the shocks are making the clunking/creaking noise.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
my autoshop teacher helped me try to solve the problem by using a large pry bar and applying pressure to the joints on the lift. no noise came from them and no budge.
not sure if these shocks are original but they are OEM so they might be. shocks would be what I replace after i inspect the endlinks and tierod ends. its just that i doubt the shocks are making the clunking/creaking noise.
You may have worn control arm bushings. It could also be your sway bar bushings and/or links are worn out too. I'm thinking the clunk I have on my car is the same as Kris's car, the sway bar links. I already ordered them to install ASAP. That clunk drives me nuts!

Kris, are the sway bar links load bearing at all? Or can I just unbolt them, put the new ones in and be done with it? I don't know if I should drive the car up on ramps or lift it with a floor jack. I'm thinking about doing the sway bar to frame bushings too since I'm gonna be in there anyways.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

jack the car up and install them. Some say to loosen the bolts and retighten them with the wheels on the ground. (you can do it with the wheel turned all the way one way. Or if you have 2 jacks place one under each lower arm with the wheels off and lift till the car starts lifting off the jack stands. that will place them close to normal ride height to tighten down.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
S E L L

jack the car up and install them. Some say to loosen the bolts and retighten them with the wheels on the ground. (you can do it with the wheel turned all the way one way. Or if you have 2 jacks place one under each lower arm with the wheels off and lift till the car starts lifting off the jack stands. that will place them close to normal ride height to tighten down.
Thanks for the info! Now just waiting on the parts...
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 AM
S E L L

I finally got a chance to replace the sway bar links today. Since I had to change the oil today, I figured I might as well change the links too. Finally!! No more clunking! The right side link had a lot of play while the driver's side didn't have very much. I changed it anyway just to be on the safe side. I was going to use the OEM links but then I ran across the Moog replacements. Much beefier and I know they are quality parts.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
DIY coming???
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
End links are sometimes very hard to diagnose for this very reason. I've had this exact same scenario about a couple years ago, for about 6 months total! Nobody could figure out the noise (not even the dealer), as the endlinks didn't exhibit any signs of major wear. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and went ahead and replaced the darn things. $40 and 30 minutes was all it took. Needlesstosay, haven't had further issues with the endlinks!

QUOTE=fsttyms1]Well i figured it out. I went in for an alignment today after putting in a new rack (well used cause mine had play in it) and while it was on the rack i was able to get under the car and play. With the car level and normal pressure on every thing it is the end links. When its jacked up they are tight as can be, and i could never duplicate the noise or find any play in them, But on the rack and weight on the suspension and things level i was able to get the noise out of them.

Oh and alignment specs no camber kit H&R sport drop are as follows.

Front
toe 0.0, -0.7 camber both sides

Rear
toe 0.1, -1.1 camber and -1.2 (what i would want to run even if i had a camber kit) <- no uneven wear from it.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
S E L L

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
DIY coming???
Not difficult really. I changed mine while I had the car on ramps for an oil change. Just loosen/remove the lock nuts, remove old one, install new one, tighten back up to factory specs, you're done!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
B93P TL Owner

Yep it took me about 30 minutes for both sides, and if memory serves me correctly I didn't even have to jack up the car!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
S E L L

Originally Posted by mdavisii
Yep it took me about 30 minutes for both sides, and if memory serves me correctly I didn't even have to jack up the car!
You must be pretty damn skinny!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by Gfaze
You must be pretty damn skinny!
Yeah I have been told that at times, LOL.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
'02 TL-S

I had an annoying clunking noise coming from the right front of my TL(150k) and finally figured out what it was by jacking up the right front so the tire was off the ground, then put the jack under the lower control arm with slight pressure.

Then I grabbed the wheel and tried pulling/pushing on it to recreate the "clunk". Turns out it was the upper control arm bushing rattling away. I found one for an accord on ebay for around $20-30 new.

Problem solved!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
'02 TL-S

Just to clarify on my post above: I replaced the entire control arm assy, which I purchased on ebay for around $30.00
Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've been working on this. I replaced the sway bar bushings and the tie rod end links. The nose is greatly reduced and the front end is TIGHT like new.

Yet, still on the crisp, sharp bumps I get the clunk.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced

i guess mine must be worn out shocks as it makes clunking noise over bumps. and this started after i switched out the stock shock and springs and installed coilovers. Do you guys still think it could be the endlinks? I know what a blown shock behaves, but when i push the car to test the shocks, it doesn't seem like it's blown, as it bounces back up pretty quickly and it doesn't make multiple up and down movements. push it once and it'll bounce back up and that's it. Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 AM
S E L L

Originally Posted by nsx04
i guess mine must be worn out shocks as it makes clunking noise over bumps. and this started after i switched out the stock shock and springs and installed coilovers. Do you guys still think it could be the endlinks? I know what a blown shock behaves, but when i push the car to test the shocks, it doesn't seem like it's blown, as it bounces back up pretty quickly and it doesn't make multiple up and down movements. push it once and it'll bounce back up and that's it. Any suggestions?
Get under your car (safely supported of course) and grab the links. Do they flop around easily? They're most likely shot. Mine was loose on the passenger side, it moved very easily. The driver's side wasn't as bad, it was still kinda tight but it was on it's way out. I changed both of them and now my car feels much better, the clunking is gone and it does feel more solid up front.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Suzuka Master

OK guys, i need some help identifying this part. Mods please feel free to chime in. It the part thats covered in white lithium grease. Its how I found out what made the creaking sound.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

The lower bar is your sway bar, is that what you're talking about?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Suzuka Master

yes, i know that is my front sway bar. but i need to know what the bushing or cushion looking thing thats covered in white lithium grease is.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My front pass. tire was wearing bad when I switched to Yoko's. I asked around about who did good alignments. The car's steering was not real tight. The alignment guy found a bad outer front tie rod on my steering rack. Replaced em both and now=no wear. OH=The Acura garage didn't find the problem. I took it back 4 times and they said = "Nothing is wrong." The alignment guy at the Acura Garage was a jerk to me, telling me nothing was wrong with the car. If you jacked up the front of the car and tapped the front passenger wheel you could hear and feel the play in the tie rod. Was about $200 to replace em both.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

aznboi2424 Hard to tell from the pic and if its what your asking but thats part of the subframe.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking. Figured out what it was.