Friday the 13th's a curse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:55 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Friday the 13th's a curse.

Well, its been about a year an a month since I got my original transmission rebuilt. and at around 12:30am on Friday the 13th, transmission number 2 has R.I.P. I am bummed about this because I have done nothing to my car and have not pushed my transmission hard in anyway. Since I got it rebuilt the first time, I babied the car and now... It has gone.

Story was that I was going to Snoqualmie Pass heading on I-90East bound to go to a spot to check out the meteor shower that happens ever 130years or so, and out of nowhere, I was going around 70mph and the car started to slow down, pushed the gas in a little more, and instead of speeding up, it started to rev. pulled over to the side, transmission fluid ALL over the place and there was smoke coming out with a burning smell. Had the car towed 35minutes after the car broke down with Acura TLC but to find out that my TLC expired back in 06' and had to pay 76 dollars for the tow. anyway now the transmission shop has the car in their possesion and told me the transmission is going to have to be taken out and taken apart for further inspection. It ruined my night, but also my weekend since school just finished on Thursday. Way to start my summer vacation after school right?

The car currently has 108,XXX miles on her.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
I was going around 70mph and the car started to slow down, pushed the gas in a little more, and instead of speeding up, it started to rev. pulled over to the side, transmission fluid ALL over the place and there was smoke coming out with a burning smell. Had the car towed 35minutes after the car broke down with Acura TLC but to find out that my TLC expired back in 06' and had to pay 76 dollars for the tow. anyway now the transmission shop has the car in their possesion and told me the transmission is going to have to be taken out and taken apart for further inspection.
It wouldn't move because it didn't have any fluid. Doesn't necessarily mean the tranny is dead...but I hope you didn't try to push it harder after it would only rev. Find out where the exit point for the fluid was. Something as simple as a loose axle could cause a leak. Don't cry wolf yet! Though with this car it's very likely.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:03 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Another one bites the dust. Acura should offer a lifetime warranty on these tranny's
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the rebuilt warranty units have 12/12 on them
but one you partial paid for on goodwill- get 3/36!!

private shops- varies

might well be an axle seal--espeially when the trans has been out at least once, those seals were disturbed by axle removal
lets hope!!!
ck those and the overflow vent--if out of vent there was a serious problem inside
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, if it's any consolation I threw a rod on the 13th. Hopefully it is a seal like mentioned above.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I had the same exact thing happen when I blew my trans. I opted for the 6spd manual
Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
blows man ... but i think it should be covered under warranty, so you will probably luck out there, best of luck with the repairs
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 AM
USDM -> JDM

Tranny is still covered under warranty... Just haven't heard anything back from the shop yet. It's been almost a week. I could have picked up the car and drove it like they said I could, but recommended me not to drive the car period because of the leak that the tranny still had. They had told me when they inspected it, the tranny was shifting hard... So, from this point, I don't know what's going to happen. Once I get the car back, there might be a slight chance of me selling it... or maybe even keeping her. I love the car. My first car. Found my girl in that car..
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
USDM -> JDM

So, I got a call from the shop today and they told me they were going to have the car for me done and ready to day, but guess what...? When they test drove the car, the transmission started to slip. so now, they have to take the tranny out and to see what is going on inside internally, and then go from there. Thank god for warranty right? haha. anyway, so what had happened in the begining was that the tranny was overheating and fluid was leaking out from one of the vents and the gears weren't getting the fluid. First time hearing that the transmission can overheat..
Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
USDM -> JDM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the rebuilt warranty units have 12/12 on them
but one you partial paid for on goodwill- get 3/36!!

private shops- varies

might well be an axle seal--espeially when the trans has been out at least once, those seals were disturbed by axle removal
lets hope!!!
ck those and the overflow vent--if out of vent there was a serious problem inside

yeup! the fluid was leaking out from the vent. meaning the transmission over heated and there is a problem inside..
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM
USDM -> JDM

Farewell...

Well, after this situation and some hard thinking this past week, I am officially sell the car. I love the car to death, but afraid to drive it any longer. In the market for 08 TSX.... Car will be in BM next week when I get her back.