Forgive the ignorance re Brake Fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive the ignorance re Brake Fluid...

The manual states that only Honda brake fluid Dot 3...is that sufficient for EBC Greenstuff pads re the BP - wet/dry moisture issues etc...I'm confused
Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
One has nothing to do with the other.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:24 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The DOT (Department of Transportation) rating has to do with the boiling point of the fluid itself. The higher the number the higher the boiling point.

As far as Honda only recomending their own fluid would, in this case, be beyond me. It may have some sort of anti-corrosion potion mixed in with it. Other than touching a few rubber seals it only comes in contact with the master cylinder, the anti-lock/yaw control servo, a reinforced rubber brake line, some steel brake lines and the caliper. I could see Honda doing this to boost it's own sales of parts and fluids (profit is pretty darn high) but in general as long as you have a fluid that meets or beats (with a higher number) than that DOT3 you shouldn't have to worry too much.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Blasing
The DOT (Department of Transportation) rating has to do with the boiling point of the fluid itself. The higher the number the higher the boiling point.

As far as Honda only recomending their own fluid would, in this case, be beyond me. It may have some sort of anti-corrosion potion mixed in with it. Other than touching a few rubber seals it only comes in contact with the master cylinder, the anti-lock/yaw control servo, a reinforced rubber brake line, some steel brake lines and the caliper. I could see Honda doing this to boost it's own sales of parts and fluids (profit is pretty darn high) but in general as long as you have a fluid that meets or beats (with a higher number) than that DOT3 you shouldn't have to worry too much.
The manual specifically states that in the event of not being able to supply DOT 3 Honda fluid, a 3 or 4 of another brand is acceptable, but to change it soon after or when able. It also spefically stipulates (that's what I found odd) that a DOT 5 should NOT be used; to do so would cause damage. Am I safe with a Castrol Synthetic or a Motul 600? Really appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:48 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'd be fine as long as it's DOT3 or 4.

If Honda was to so far as to say that you could ONLY use THEIR fluid and that using someone else's fluid would cause damage then Honda would have to supply that fluid for free. That's burried somewhere in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act but I can't find it right now.