Footwell lighting in TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Footwell lighting in TL-S

Wassup guyz,

I just saw a pic of NYDESI80's interior with his white footwell lighting, and I gotta say that it's sooo pimp. I was wondering if he, or others could steer me in the right direction as to what I need in order to do the same mod. What bulbs? relays? switches? or whatever else I need.

let me know

Thanks...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO this is a str8 rich mod. but here goes

get two neons like 12 inches. connect the power wire of both neons together and connect it to one end of the switch. run another wire from the other end of the switch to the fuse box. now there are two ways to do this: ghetto way-wrap it around one side of a fuse and stick it back into the box or get "add-a-circuit and connect the wire from the switch to this thing and then put this into the fuse box. connect the ground wires from the neons together and ground it to one of the metal screws in the fuse box. strap the lights under the dash with zip strips and mount the switch somewhere. done deal. make sense?!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

What would be even sicker is if you can hook it up so that when you leave your headlights on, and then lock the car, the lights will go out after 30 seconds. But what if when you unlock the car, and the headlights go on, the footwell light would also. That would be a sick mod....

can this be wired so they come on with the headlights? I don't care to have them on when the headlights are not on, since chances are when the lights are not on, it is daytime and the neons can't be seen anyways.

let me know

thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Raj's (NYDesi80) footwell lighting is hooked up to his dome light. I saw it in person a few weeks ago.. he did the mod with Bxscig (they are the TL god's here in Long Island, lol). I like it.. the lights fade out with the dome light.. pretty nice.. and the mod cost him like $20. Just needed to know how to hook up the lights to the dome.. They did it in a few hours.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the JDM footwell lighting harness. It just plugs to the same outlet as the dome light and they turn on/off together. I plan to get some neons hooked up to them so I can get some cool lighting too
Old 06-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
I have the JDM footwell lighting harness. It just plugs to the same outlet as the dome light and they turn on/off together. I plan to get some neons hooked up to them so I can get some cool lighting too
let's set a date sometime steve to do this as a project on our cars together. Since we both want what seems to be the same thing, I think we can work this out. I will pick up all the necessary supplies to complete this project, just let me know what's needed.

I'll call you sometime this week Steve...

take care guyz.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy these, www.case-mod.com or something like that. basically the CCFLs white ones. The add-a-circuit is not needed unless u want to turn them on even when the doors are closed. from there you just have to run the + and - wires to the passenger side dome light harness.

When the doors open, one of the pins becomes ground completing the circuit, when the doors are closed and the lights of off that same pin goes to +12v.

That is the cheapest place to get those lights, so basically if u want the fronts only it should only cost a few bucks. If u want the two fronts, you should buy two sets. and each set comes with two ccfls.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Instructor

What's the part number for the JDM footwell lighting harness?

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
Old 06-15-2004, 05:56 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the previous owner of my car hooked up the footwell lighting to the same fuse for the guage panel. i personally would *not* have done this, but whatever. what's done is done. but it's wired to a toggle thats in the kick panel in front of my knees. another option is to remove the console and wire it to a toggle powered from the cigarette lighter power. the wires are run under the center console to the lights in the rear seats in my car. just an idea. good luck.

SSTS
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned

Yeah Bxscig helped wire those in for me. Basically the mechanism is simple as he described in the previous post up. You just tap into the dome light fuse which is located in your fuse box that is on the side of the front passenger seat. Remember there are 2 fuse boxes, one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side. The fuse for the dome light is on the passenger side.

Once you locate this fuse, all you need to do is make a few easy connections and your done. You have the option of adding a switch if you want, so that you can control them from the inside, I didnt do this, cuz I dint really want aftermarket switches inside my car. Also, I didnt do Neons, cuz I'm not a big fan of those, since I feel they rice out the car, so these tubes were great and look nice!!!

Now to mount the CCFL tubes, there is no special place to mount them. You basically take a bunch of zip ties and tie it to where you can get a spot of your liking. There is a lot of room so no need to worry. After you do the 2 fronts, which is easy, now you need to do the 2 rears, which is a litttle touger, cuz there is no room to really work with under the front 2 seats. So mounting them is a pain, just dont know where to mount. I haven't done it myself. Here are the pics that I posted on the other thread:

This one is looking in through the window from the outside:

Old 06-15-2004, 01:52 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I gotta secret...buy LEDs instead of neons

In my experience, the neons are thinner and maybe easier to hide but once broken, you have to buy new ones. I bought a set of 4 LED tubes from http://www.theneonedge.com/ . I'm a big fan of there stuff as I also have there underbody wireless LED kit.

These LED tubes are much more durable and less prone to breaking. They have that sound setting for your fans who like your lights moving with your music (i personally think its pretty queer :fingerfawk: ).

Either way you go, heres a secret....to hide your bulbs, punch holes into your carpet far up under the dash and use wire ties or pull ties to tie each bulb in.

I took a few pics of my car when the lights were on so it maybe hard to see how I mounted them. Also for the back seats, mount them into the rail the seat is mounted to. This will prevent them from moving with the seat.

I will post some daytime pics very soon, they'll show you how to set them up nicely.

As far as electrical, tap them into something that comes on when the car does lol. I liked mine running all the time but i know some cop somewhere is gonna get :shit: y with me and tell me to turn them off. I also mounted a nice inconspicuous (Sp?) switch for this which you can also view in my signature.

Best of luck to all!
(alf isnt used often enuff heh)
Old 06-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like the way it looks, but that choice of colour is a no no IMO. I prefer to have it look classy, which is why I will go with a white light at the footwell. I personally don't like the way the footwells look with anything other than white.

But if you could post up the procedure for install, i would appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sc354
I like the way it looks, but that choice of colour is a no no IMO. I prefer to have it look classy, which is why I will go with a white light at the footwell. I personally don't like the way the footwells look with anything other than white.

But if you could post up the procedure for install, i would appreciate it.

LOL i know, i almost want to go white now because when i saw NYDesi80's....it looked almost ephemeral haha

Install was pretty simple. Whenever you buy a kit it'll usually come with directions. Basically what you want to do is get one light working first. You do this buy connecting the ground wire (usually black but is also usually a striped wire) to something like an existing screw somewhere and then the other wire (usually red or some solid color other than black) to the fuse that corresponds to like the dome light, or interior lighting, or something (i used the fuse for the power windows because when I open the doors it'll go off and after a while it times out [thx Mr i think]). After your get one bulb working, place the other bulbs where you want them and run the wiring to the working one...i.e. solid/red goes to solid/red wire (not fuse) and striped/black goes to striped/black wire.

This is the way I did it...there maybe other ways. Again, most kits come with directions and I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Damn you NYDesi80and your white lights :P

Oh yeah, i went with blue because the car is blue..i think NYDesi80went with white because his car is white duno
Old 06-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
Damn you NYDesi80and your white lights :P

Oh yeah, i went with blue because the car is blue..i think NYDesi80went with white because his car is white duno

Haha... I never thought of this logic, but thats not exactly wat I was thinking. I like making additions to my car that keep it looking stock but modded... if this makes sense to you people. I want the average person to see my car and look at it, and ask why this TL stand out so much from the others, and can't be able to put their finger on it. Basically very subtle differences that make it stand out. This is why I chose white, cuz it makes the mod look like it was feature that was installed at the factory, not aftermarket. The colored Neons kind of rice it out in my opinion, I was a fan of those back in the day, so I have no intentions of flaming anyone who likes them, its just a preference thas all, and I respect that.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Those LED's real nice... good job King.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

I know this thread is old, but Varad (www.varad.com) makes the HLX-6 and HLX-12, 6" and 12" multi-colored LED lightbars. Each tube comes packaged with a controller, and can be hooked in up in a master/slave relation, with the master controller controlling all slave units. Four modes can be chosen on the controller, (1) steady, (2) strobing, (3) color-changing, and (4) music mode. In modes 1,2 and 4 you can select the precise color using arrows also located on the controller.

Just a thought as I have two of these mounted above the footwells, and they are very bright as well.