Fooling Around With You Guys It was Bound To Happen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Fooling Around With You Guys It was Bound To Happen.

I knew it was a matter of time fooling around with you guys.
I got my 1st speeding ticket with the TL late last night. I was doing 72 in a 55 mile per hour zone. Its been about 4 yrs since my last speeding ticket. I know some of you get them all the time.
The cops in Maryland were hot & heavy last night thick as thieves making money for that state. I was just asked the night before by a lady do you ever get speeding tickets. I told her no I have got them only 2 times in my 24yrs of driving. I am not normaly out on a Friday night that late. I am where I have to be by that time so a was not use to all them State Troopers & County Mounty boys out. I set the cruise control at 56 for about the next 20 miles then I ran 65 untill I hit the city limits. I saw at least 3 other people pulled over in my 60 mile trip home.
Old 02-23-2002, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the club. I got pulled over doing 95/65 and I haven't had a ticket in almost 4 years. I too have only had 2 tickets in my entire driving life.

I bought a radar detector, I have a feeling you will too in a few weeks
Old 02-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

In my case I don't think the detector would have did any good.
I think he started clocking me after I passed him he pulled out of a industrial park off the highway. I was doing 81 when I saw him I then got off the gas & looked in the rear view. I was doing about 72 when he pulled on the road. I knew & waited for him to put on the blue lights to pull me over.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:18 PM
O.G.

That sucks...sorry to hear about that. Speeding ticket is the worse!
Old 02-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

man what the hell is going on these days..... the states are all short of money? you got your ticket yesterday and i got a ticket today doing 93 in 65. but again i really couldn't go that fast (80 - 5 at most otherwise i would have known)...

and yes i am thinking about radar detector too now
Old 02-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

btw daverman you got an email.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have to start driving slower as well--I got a speeding ticket in November (before I bought my TL), my first since 1997 or so. Since the TL, I've been cruising at 80 mph on the freeway. I've been practicing driving slower while my car is in the shop. I started out renting a Saturn with terrible, probably broken driver's seat. With a stiff neck after a few days, I traded for a Chevy Impala, a car that doesn't inspire adventurous driving. In fact, driving it at above 65 mph is asking for trouble in the form of body lean in the curves and drift of the steering, so I've been drivingno more than 5 mph above the limit, 60 mph in urban areas here in Ohio.

Sorry to hear about your ticket, FTM. By the way, Daverman, how's your fight with the state troopers going? Haven't seen an update in a while.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Drifting

My trial date is March 6th. I don't really have a technical case to fight, but that may change...

One thing I noticed is that my BEL 950 consistently displays K band falses near each one of those humongous antenna towers; you know, the ones that have a bunch of antennas stuck on them, including cell phone antennas. I reviewed my photographs of the milepost written on the ticket, and guess what, there's one of those humongous towers across the street. If those towers emit microwave radiation then I can make the case that his radar gun reading could have been affected by the signals.

I'm going to drive by that antenna tower tomorrow to see if I get similar falses on my radar. If I do I will ask the officer to prove that the antennas were not interfering with his reading.

Of course, the officer may not show up at all. If that's the case, then I'll go have a cup of Caffe Mocha to celebrate.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by daverman
My trial date is March 6th. I don't really have a technical case to fight, but that may change...

One thing I noticed is that my BEL 950 consistently displays K band falses near each one of those humongous antenna towers; you know, the ones that have a bunch of antennas stuck on them, including cell phone antennas. I reviewed my photographs of the milepost written on the ticket, and guess what, there's one of those humongous towers across the street. If those towers emit microwave radiation then I can make the case that his radar gun reading could have been affected by the signals.

I'm going to drive by that antenna tower tomorrow to see if I get similar falses on my radar. If I do I will ask the officer to prove that the antennas were not interfering with his reading.

Of course, the officer may not show up at all. If that's the case, then I'll go have a cup of Caffe Mocha to celebrate.
Your argument won't work. Here's what the officer is trained to say:

"I sat at that location for 9 minutes clocking cars coming thru there. In fact, I probably clocked about a dozen before Dave came flying thru. They all showed appeard to be traveling in and around the speed limit and I clocked them doing 55-60mph. When I saw Dave approaching at a high rate of speed, I was able to confirm 95mph with my radar gun. There is no interference. The Custom K-9 Ka band radar has a built-in filter that makes it impervious to...." and so on. You will be screwed. You'd better hope he doesn't show.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by kensteele
Your argument won't work. Here's what the officer is trained to say:

"I sat at that location for 9 minutes clocking cars coming thru there. In fact, I probably clocked about a dozen before Dave came flying thru. They all showed appeard to be traveling in and around the speed limit and I clocked them doing 55-60mph. When I saw Dave approaching at a high rate of speed, I was able to confirm 95mph with my radar gun. There is no interference. The Custom K-9 Ka band radar has a built-in filter that makes it impervious to...." and so on. You will be screwed. You'd better hope he doesn't show.
Is this experience speaking?

That's why I'm ordering the radar gun's operator's manual. There's no such thing as a measurement device without limitations. Unless the officer is a microwave designer, there's no way he can claim that his gun is "impervious" to interference. "Unlikely" maybe, but not "impervious".

As I said earlier, I have nothing to lose.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Daverman

Good luck! Though MY experience (10 years ago) is that police officers are usually too busy to show up to cases like this....they've usually got better things to do, like actually catch criminals (or just bag speeders for easy cash for the city, since most don't fight their tickets). I don't think you have too much to worry about.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daverman
Welcome to the club. I got pulled over doing 95/65 and I haven't had a ticket in almost 4 years. I too have only had 2 tickets in my entire driving life.

I bought a radar detector, I have a feeling you will too in a few weeks
LoLz! Don't trust any radar detector tooooo much, around here all the cops use is instant on, so if you do 90 on the highway and you seem to be alone then all of sudden the KA band goes off, well the state troopers got you....
Old 02-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Race Director

Re: Daverman

Originally posted by neuronbob
Good luck! Though MY experience (10 years ago) is that police officers are usually too busy to show up to cases like this....they've usually got better things to do, like actually catch criminals (or just bag speeders for easy cash for the city, since most don't fight their tickets). I don't think you have too much to worry about.
Hehe, obviously you've never been to traffic court. They don't try traffic cases all day every day. It's scheduled, long ahead of time and it's the cops duty to show unless he can't. Departments do take this seriously and what is a judge going to think when half of the officers never show up. Maybe in NYC or LA; but hardly in KS.

That day is when all the sheriff deputies, troopers, police officers, everyone from all the cities and counties show up. It's like the policeman's ball in there, different uniforms, etc. Your radar detector is screaming as you approach the courthouse, all those cop cars in the parking lot. At least this is the way it was in Minnesota in my experience.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:55 AM
Banned

I feel for all you guys...though I only got a warning...stays on TX record for 3 months...and I got it on Jan 14. Two more months before I can speed again...because if they catch me and see I have a warning they'll give it to me up the tail pipe, metaphorically speaking. Not good for a 20 yr old driving a TLS either. Don't you wish you could just pay...say, an extra $1000 a year and speed as much as you want? Get like a speeder card (hell posted speeding limits are there mostly to make cash...policemen are there to catch reckless drivers)..ya know he sees you speeding...pulls you over...you flash your Speeders Card and he waves you off and you go speeding on home

Austin519
Old 02-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Daverman

Originally posted by kensteele

Hehe, obviously you've never been to traffic court. ...Your radar detector is screaming as you approach the courthouse, all those cop cars in the parking lot. At least this is the way it was in Minnesota in my experience.
Actually what I posted was my experience in traffic court, 10 years ago. I was REALLY lucky!
Old 02-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Racer

Daverman;

Don;t go to court citing inconsistencies with a police officers equipment. They will chew u up alive.

In Florida you have 30 days to decide what ur gonna do, either pay the ticket (and get points assesed on your licence), go to traffic school or go to court. What I have done in the past is wait until the end of the 30 days and then schedule a court appearance. Your court date usually is another 30 days out (or 60 days after your ticket). In my experience, the officers have never showed up. (Not that I need to do this on a regular basis, but I have done it twice in the last 3 years).

The last time I was in court, the judge was extremely cool. He mentioned that we should state exactly what we wanted from the court hearing (I guess to move things along, but he was actually a nice guy). If it was that we did not want points assessed, then, he says to plead no-contest, pay the fee and yup, no points. But the cop did not show up so i was off the hook anyway :p
Old 02-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Outlook
Daverman;
Don;t go to court citing inconsistencies with a police officers equipment. They will chew u up alive.
Yep, and even more so, don't (not you personally, daverman)nitpick on the trivial stuff like misspells or incorrect info where a single letter or number is incorrect--imagine telling the police officer that he wrote down the wrong license plate (he wrote down an '8' instead of a 'B') on your citation; the obvious response to that would be, "You signed off on it, didn't you?"
Originally posted by Austin519
...stays on TX record for 3 months...and I got it on Jan 14. Two more months before I can speed again...
What, are you counting the days before you can start leadfooting it again?

Tony
Old 02-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Instructor

I got a ticket about a month ago for speeding, crossing the double yellow, passing in a dangerous area, and tinted front window. The ticket toal wa $290, Im going to dealy and then fight the ticket in court. I'll most likely get out of it. Rory
Old 02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Yes, I am also a member of the speeding club. This summer, I was racing a V-6 Camaro in my Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (while using a Valentine One radar detector) and I was instant on-ed. A terrible feeling and after having to take an online driving course I have kept it cool.

A question that I have to everyone with a TL type S is in racing American cars, how has the TL performed? What type of cars have "blown you away, if any" what cars should I look out for when I finally get my 2003 Type S in a couple of months?

Also, could you let me know of any mods that have done tremendous things for your HP or speed