Fog lights anytime mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Fog lights anytime mod

I know on the second generation Tacomas, you can modify the fog lights to run them independently from the headlights with a slight modification to the fog light relay. Was wondering if anyone been able to hack this generation TLs to do the same. Basically, I want to turn on the fog lights without having to turn on my head lights.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've done it. I won't be home for a while and can't recall which color wire needs power but basically there is a low beam positive wire going into the fog light switch and when it gets power, allows the fog light to turn on. I ran a fuse tap from the wiper fuse to it at first but that created a weird phenomenon where if I left the headlights on and took the key out, the power would loop back into the ignition and keep the car running. You can stop this by putting a diode in line or cutting the low beam input wire and only feeding into the fog light switch. I used a diode and fixed the problem until I wanted to change it again. I now have a parking light positive going into the fog light switch and the low beam positive I now use to trigger dim my radio.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sfwraveep
I've done it. I won't be home for a while and can't recall which color wire needs power but basically there is a low beam positive wire going into the fog light switch and when it gets power, allows the fog light to turn on. I ran a fuse tap from the wiper fuse to it at first but that created a weird phenomenon where if I left the headlights on and took the key out, the power would loop back into the ignition and keep the car running. You can stop this by putting a diode in line or cutting the low beam input wire and only feeding into the fog light switch. I used a diode and fixed the problem until I wanted to change it again. I now have a parking light positive going into the fog light switch and the low beam positive I now use to trigger dim my radio.
Thanks for your input. I did some more searching and found this on youtube. I'm going to try this out.