Fog Light Bulbs Keep Burning Out!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Blood Type: S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Bulbs Keep Burning Out!!

I have the 3A Racing Hyperwhite 4300K bulbs for fog lights and they keep burning out within 3-4 months. I hate replacing them too, a real pain in the neck to replace if you ask me. The 3A bulbs that I had matched closely to the HID lights, and I was very satisfied with the color. However, I ca not keep replacing them every 3 months. Is this typical for high temp bulbs, or just these things that I picked up from Pepboys?

I have done some research, and found so many different kinds:

- PIAA has 100W ouput Super White bulbs(4150K) for $45 from http://www.tuneshops.com/order-Light...ulbs-1-193.htm, 110W ouput Xtreme White bulbs (4150K) for $70 from http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/...entspage1.html, 110W ouput Super Plasma bulbs (5000K) for $90 from same website, and even 110W outputYellow Ion Crystal bulbs for $80 from http://www.extremeredline.com/lights/9006_bulb.htm which I am considering for that Lexus look.

- Polarg has 100W ouput Eurostyle White Lights for $56 from http://forlooks.hypermart.net/access/headlight/, 100W ouput Miracle White (4300K) and VIP White bulbs both for $85 fom www.coolbulbs.com/polarg.asp, and 100W ouput Plasma Purple bulbs(4300K) for $75 from http://www.trendcruiser.com/detail.a...t_id=POLPP9006.

- Nokya has 80W output bulbs for $25 from http://www.trendcruiser.com/detail.a...KAP19006<br /> such as Arctic Purple bulbs (4300K) and Arctic White bulbs (4100K).

- Raybrig has 100W ouput bulbs for $79 from http://www.coolbulbs.com/raybrig.asp such as Hyper Halogens (3850K) and Whitesonic bulbs (5000K).

With all of this, can 5000K bulbs be relied upon for longevity? Does anyone have yellow fogs such as the Ion Crystal Yellow bulbs, what types are the best or the most preferred by people on this forum? Recommendations? What do you guys have? How long do they last? I'm definitely looking for bulbs to match my low beams, as well as getting yellow ones as well. HELP!
Old 01-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Rock Star

hi man whats up...i recently upgraded to a set of real hids and took about a mounth to configure them correctly in the end had to put relays on each bult cause the stock relay and the headlights dont push enough juice to support upgraded and otr higher wattage bulbs......thats y u may get the clicking sound when u put on ur fogs w ur headlights thats an overused relay u may wanna check w an aftermarket place one u can trust...and see that they suggest....good luck
Old 01-25-2003, 12:59 PM

I did not upgrade to HIDs, but bought bulbs that produced twice the ouput of the stock halogen bulbs in the fog lights. I've read that many have Polarg and PIAA and so on. I really want to know how long those products last, what kind they were, how well they match the low beam HIDs, if there was evidence of burning the housing and so on?? I also was wondering if anyone has pictures of the PIAA yellow plasma bulbs for fog lights?? Or the purple Polargs??

I do not have a problem with the relay. However, I probably shorten the life of those bulbs alot since I rewired the fogs. Now they blink with the sidemarkers every time I turn on and off the alram for the car. Have to start turning off the fog switch when I get in and out of the car I guess.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Rock Star

i know u didnt upgrade to hid's all im sayin is that when u upgrade a bulb other than a factory other things can occur thats all ive been usin after market bulbs and i ve had em last 6 mos to 2 years dont forget foglight bulbs take more abuse than headlight bulbs they are low to the gound they feel every bump and water often can offectr them are you gettin any condinsation other than that i cant thing of anything oh check ur connection too....this is why i had my foglights wires to a seperate switch ...good luck man
Old 01-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Banned

Running 80W or 100W bulbs in the fogs without upgrading the sockets/harness is asking for trouble. That is too much for the stock harness to handle.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:49 PM

All of those bulbs I listed are rated 50-55W input. The output of 100W is just something they say to try to illustrate the brightness, whihc I believe is a misconception. The temperature rating of those bulbs is the real indicator of brightness. 100W output, what output? Maybe twice the light from higher temperature but not double the power?? Either way, unless a bulb requires 80W, the output they list should not be a problem. 80W as an input would on the other hand be a real problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Save your money up for a while and get a HID kit for 9006 applications. Only then will you be satisfied....at least for me it was:p

I knew I wouldn't get a nice match w/ the 6000K low beams with any halogen bulb I placed in the fogs, so, I had at first bought the PIAA Yellow Plasma ION's.

You won't get the yellow your looking for. It emits a very nice yellow light but it doesn't look yellow when your looking at the light/fogs themselves.

Here's a link to some old threads regarding these bulbs.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...highlight=piaa

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...highlight=piaa

Eventually, I just bit the bullet and bought a 6000K HID kit for the fogs in 9006. I'll never go back...plus, if you get a quality kit, it'll probably last longer then the car. A good HID kit will come with all the proper harness', relays and connectors for a plug in play installation. No headaches at all......well some may consider taking the bumper off a bit of a pain
Old 01-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Rock Star

i agree just had a hid kit in the fogs installed wow does it look hott at night when u u have just the parking and fog lights on...it def improves ur drivin when im on the highway and am in the left lane the fogs light up wall to wall sweet as hell......trust me u guys if u can afford it go w it u wont be sorry and i have a guy who does it at a great price...if interested contace me and ill put u in touch......
Old 05-24-2003, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by nym31mp
i agree just had a hid kit in the fogs installed wow does it look hott at night when u u have just the parking and fog lights on...it def improves ur drivin when im on the highway and am in the left lane the fogs light up wall to wall sweet as hell......trust me u guys if u can afford it go w it u wont be sorry and i have a guy who does it at a great price...if interested contace me and ill put u in touch......
Hey hit me up man I'm lookin to upgrade just don't know where to start.-Thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

hey EEpower check out midnightmoose.com they have two brands that match very well. I've personally tried the EAGLIGHTS 80W and the MAX 55w and they're both identical. the best part is that they're between 15 - 20 bucks,thats it!!!!! they also have some gold ion bulbs but i haven't tried them.
these bulbs will last about a year with alot of use,but much much shorter if you touch the glass part of the bulb while you install them.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:08 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using 80 watt instead of 55 watt is ok. The wires hold up. If the wires didn't hold up...they would've melted already. On the box it says 55watt = 100watt meaning, it only uses 55 watt, but since it's "hyperwhite" it's equavilent to a 100watt bulb.

Is the fog houseing fogging? What happen to me was that the housing was kinda fogged up...i thought it was nothing...but then the bulb blew...i took it out and found out that i didn't twist the connect all the way..it was in...but it wasn't in all the way tightly

So check that the tabs on the bulb go all the way pass the screw on the housing.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Having Fun?

I've been running RAZO HB4 BG 606 Premuim White Zero (4550K) 55 watt fogs for a few months with no probs. I picked these up after A-ustin519 had been running them for many months with no probs.

Old 05-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

get HID's...they'll last you much longer
Old 05-26-2003, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

Try getting a better brand such as the Sylvania SilverStars or even the newly released Philips BlueVision Ultra-Blue 4000K. Both brands will run you about $40/pair. You can get the Sylvanias at your local auto parts store and the Philips at www.powerbulbs.com.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

I recently got a small hole in the lens of my driverside foglight. I'm trying to figure out what to do at this point.
I've seen quotes for like $150-$170 for a stock replacement. I'm assuming this is the entire housing. I also saw an old post about someone replacing the glass with plexiglass, but seems kind of time consuming.
Do you guys with the HID fogs protect your fogs with XPEL stuff or something similar ? What about the heat ?
I'm looking down the line and if another fog lens goes, then the cost for HIDs and some protectors isn't all that expensive relative to replacing the stockers every now and again. Eitherway, I'm probably going to get the XPEL protectors or something along those lines. Any comments ?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

There's a guy selling Lexan lens replacements for fog housings on Ebay.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced

I bought the lexan lenses - which are necessary in the desert southwest (rocks everywhere), and they've worked great. i was driving w/ my lights on all the time for awhile (including the fogs), but it wasn't the smartest idea in 100 degree heat. the heat from the weather and light output started to slightly melt the lexan lens. since i only turn 'em on at night now, i've had no problems. love 'em!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Racer

I have the lexan lenses, so far, no cracks on it. I drive my car a lot on the highway in the middle of no where and my stock foglight lenses used to crack frequently. I strong suggest getting lexan. =)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Otter
There's a guy selling Lexan lens replacements for fog housings on Ebay.
Good advice....but 2 YEARS TOO LATE. (look at the dates of the posts)
Old 08-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by edgalang
Good advice....but 2 YEARS TOO LATE. (look at the dates of the posts)
oh wow.. i didn't notice that either... hahaha
Old 08-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
I recently got a small hole in the lens of my driverside foglight. I'm trying to figure out what to do at this point.
I've seen quotes for like $150-$170 for a stock replacement. I'm assuming this is the entire housing. I also saw an old post about someone replacing the glass with plexiglass, but seems kind of time consuming.
Do you guys with the HID fogs protect your fogs with XPEL stuff or something similar ? What about the heat ?
I'm looking down the line and if another fog lens goes, then the cost for HIDs and some protectors isn't all that expensive relative to replacing the stockers every now and again. Eitherway, I'm probably going to get the XPEL protectors or something along those lines. Any comments ?
just get the lexan lens for the fogs on ebay for like 50 bucks i believe..dont buy the whole housing if your lens is only crack..save yourself some money..
Old 08-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Racer

where do we get them from, anybody order these lately
Old 08-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep the talk about bulbs.

BTW, that guy who sells the foglenses on ebay for the 2nd gen TL got BANNED for not abiding to our vendor rules (ie he snuck around and sold stuff without signing up as a vendor). In other words, he'd rather make money off the members and not support our site. It's the vendors who help keep this site for us members for FREE.

Don't anyone post his name here or be . Anyone can do a simple search on ebay.