fluid change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fluid change intervals

I'd appreciate knowing what fluid change intervals are being used. With full synthetic olil I have been changing both oil and filter at 7500 miles, and ATF (using Honda ATF) at 30000 miles.
My daughter's MINI Cooper owner's manual recommends 10000 miles intervals for full synthetic oil.
Am I changing too often?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I run 10 and 15k intervals from syn. Get a oil sample test kit from blackstone labs, pay the 20 bucks for the advanced test and it will tell you how your oil is doing and if you should be running longer.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Advanced

I run 10K intervals for full syn as well (with a quality filter). These are clean running engines and do not load the oil with much crud. I started this at 80 or 90k and jusy did my 180K change - never any engine problems.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The Acura has much tighter internal clearance numbers than the mini
And car makers are appeasing the Govt by making the maitenance interval longer- then calling nearly every type of normal driving as "severe service interval" which is not 10k !!

7500 is a nice easy thing to remember- and it depends on your driving, short trips, long cruises are different loads on the oil. If you drive 7500 in 3 months all hi speed cruise, you can go longer no sweat.
As fsttyms1 says- its all about the analysis
www.blackstone-labs.com

I recently read all the bottles at parts store. All synths said exceeds such and such, some said exceeds chrylser of ford, and the onlly ones that specifically said exceeds Acura were Mobil1 and Penzoil Platinum Full synthetics
Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
The Acura has much tighter internal clearance numbers than the mini
And car makers are appeasing the Govt by making the maitenance interval longer- then calling nearly every type of normal driving as "severe service interval" which is not 10k !!

7500 is a nice easy thing to remember- and it depends on your driving, short trips, long cruises are different loads on the oil. If you drive 7500 in 3 months all hi speed cruise, you can go longer no sweat.
As fsttyms1 says- its all about the analysis
www.blackstone-labs.com

I recently read all the bottles at parts store. All synths said exceeds such and such, some said exceeds chrylser of ford, and the onlly ones that specifically said exceeds Acura were Mobil1 and Penzoil Platinum Full synthetics
10K seems a lot easier to remember than 7500

Seriously, I'm not a tree hugger, but I think the old 3K interval that has been ingrained inro everyone consumes oil and increases waste needlessly (also increases revenue for many parties). I dabble in diesels and they LOAD up the oil with a lot of soot and crud. I had a Jetta TDI that VW recommended 10K intervals with a specific quality diesel grade Syn oil and I had no reservations about it. The key was a specific syn oil that is designed to handle the soot load and still lubricate. These Honda gas motors can easily go 10K on a quality full syn oil and quality filter. The dino oils could also go 5K to 7.5K as the quality is soo much better than a decade or two ago. Like I said, I've got 180K on mine with no issues.

I do change my trans oil (3 qts.) every 10K, much sooner than Acura advises, but there is a reason (and history) to drive that decision
I just wish there was a quality syn trans fluid I was comfortable with. I know several here use Amsoil, but my second trans puked 2 days after I did a 2x3 with Amsoil and I am just too nervous about doing that again. It's Honda trans fluid every 10K from here on out.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hockeynut
10K seems a lot easier to remember than 7500

Seriously, I'm not a tree hugger, but I think the old 3K interval that has been ingrained inro everyone consumes oil and increases waste needlessly (also increases revenue for many parties). I dabble in diesels and they LOAD up the oil with a lot of soot and crud. I had a Jetta TDI that VW recommended 10K intervals with a specific quality diesel grade Syn oil and I had no reservations about it. The key was a specific syn oil that is designed to handle the soot load and still lubricate. These Honda gas motors can easily go 10K on a quality full syn oil and quality filter. The dino oils could also go 5K to 7.5K as the quality is soo much better than a decade or two ago. Like I said, I've got 180K on mine with no issues.

I do change my trans oil (3 qts.) every 10K, much sooner than Acura advises, but there is a reason (and history) to drive that decision
I just wish there was a quality syn trans fluid I was comfortable with. I know several here use Amsoil, but my second trans puked 2 days after I did a 2x3 with Amsoil and I am just too nervous about doing that again. It's Honda trans fluid every 10K from here on out.
How do you figure that 10k is easier to remember than 7500 when the Maintenance Required light is programed for 7500 and comes on to tell you??

I agree that 3k is bunk and has brainwashed the majority of the public.

As for the amsoil its rated for use in honda, and i highly doubt that it had any thing to do with the trans failure. I put it in my other cars and it makes a WORLD of difference in shift quality and smoothness.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
How do you figure that 10k is easier to remember than 7500 when the Maintenance Required light is programed for 7500 and comes on to tell you??

I agree that 3k is bunk and has brainwashed the majority of the public.

As for the amsoil its rated for use in honda, and i highly doubt that it had any thing to do with the trans failure. I put it in my other cars and it makes a WORLD of difference in shift quality and smoothness.
I guess I've been doing the 10K thing so long that I always ignore the light until I finally decide to clear it. Good point though if it comes on every 7500 - I've never paid attention to the light as I always do my own basic maint and track mileage myself.

I agree on the Amsoil, that's why I switched to it - it was just odd that is when my second trans decided to die. I'll never have a warm fuzzy about it again even though I am a firm believer in synthetics. Kind of like I avoid flying even though statistics show it's the safest way to travel

I know Amsoil makes good products from the several diesel forums I have (do) frequent. Diesels are harder on engine oil and most diesel users tend to pull/haul loads which is more taxing on the trans, so those guys are pretty outspoken and critical of thier lubricants.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hockeynut

I know Amsoil makes good products from the several diesel forums I have (do) frequent. Diesels are harder on engine oil and most diesel users tend to pull/haul loads which is more taxing on the trans, so those guys are pretty outspoken and critical of thier lubricants.
Ive got a buddy thats going for 2200+ ft/lb (in his new rebuild this summer) in his chevy duramax which he daily drives and tractor pulls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAZ7hlxa4c&feature=user