First Time Zaino User

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Zaino User

Ok , I know this has already been discussed but I wanted to get a fresh opinion on it.

I just waxed my Satin Silver TLS with Turtle - Emerald Wax. 1 coat thus far. I live in the Chicago Area so Winter is a fear of mine as far as Salt goes. I want my car to look great as well as being protected against the elements. No , I can't store it for the winter. Sigh..

I have heard everyone talking about Zaino Bros. and I wanted to get the general idea of what to start with. I can't say that I would use every possible product Zaino Brothers offer , but I'd love to give my car that show room polish.

Could you all offer the first Zaino product I should start with ??
Rememeber that I've already put on a coat of wax that's not nearly the quality of Zaino. Also , I've heard that I should wash that coat off before applying Zaino ? . Not sure .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!
Old 09-27-2001, 09:58 AM
Daddy

I would start with z1, z2, z6, z7 and clay bar. You shold wash your car with blue Dawn to remove the wax you just put on and then clay your car. For very detailed instructions check out www.zainobros.com.
Old 09-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone found a good place to purchase the Zaino stuff?
Old 09-27-2001, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

I would start with z1, z2, z6, z7 and clay bar. You shold wash your car with blue Dawn to remove the wax you just put on and then clay your car. For very detailed instructions check out www.zainobros.com.
OK , First , Clean with blue dawn.
Use z1,z2,z6 and z7 , in that order ??

I went to the website and z7 is described as :

Z-7 SHOW CAR WASH

A concentrated blend of special cleaners, UV blockers and Show Car Polish that actually condition and enhance the gloss of painted vehicles each time it is used. Does not contain detergent, alkalines or acids. Special water-based lubricant, prevents dirt and soil from scratching the paint finish when washing. Unique foaming agents produce longer-lasting, dirt encapsulating suds. Rinses completely, leaving a non-spotting, non-filming, streak-free, just polished look. Z-7 Show Car Wash was designed to deep clean and increase the paint gloss every time it is used.

Are you sure I'd use z1 , z2 , z6 and then z7 ( the wash ) ??
Just want to make sure.
Old 09-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 87 Posts
I sympathize with you, GRV! I'm as obsessive about my car as anyone I know. When I kept reading all this great stuff about Zaino on this web board, I went to Zaino's web site to learn more about it. Talk about confusing! I decided that it wasn't worth the effort to figure out all those Z's, not to mention the cost. I use a few different waxes/polishes, and Turtle Wax Emerald is one of them. Try a few coats of that and you'll probably be impressed with the showroom shine without having to earn a PhD in waxology!
Old 09-27-2001, 02:38 PM
Daddy

Futher details

Okay, I'll see if I can clarify the order.

1. Wash with blue Dawn. This is to REMOVE the wax and junk off your car.

2. Clay your car using z7 mixed with water as a lubricant. Use LOTS of lubricant as you are claying.

3. Wash with blue Dawn again. Keep in mind you are still trying to get a very clean surface and this is the last step to insure the clean car.

4. Apply z1. This is the polish "lock" that should only be applied after claying. I will do this process (steps 1 through 4) only in the spring. DO NOT remove the z1.

5. After z1 is dry and hazy (be patient in waiting for it to dry) apply z2. This is the actual polish for your car. After the z2 is dry and hazy remove with "100% cotton, made in the USA" towels.

6. After z2 is dry and removed apply z6 in very small areas and wipe off immediately.

7. Repeat z2 and z6 as many times as needed.

8. Replace a z2 application with z5 if you have the need to remove swirls.

9. Use z7 to wash your car INSTEAD of soap or other car washes.

Hope this helps. It may sound like alot of work but it is well worth the effort. It really doesn't take too long if you are applying on a warm and non-humid day. I'm planning on posting some pics of my Firepepper Red TL in the next couple of weeks!
Old 09-27-2001, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think I'll give it a whirl, I was told the other day that the P21S wax I use is one of the few wax's that you can use over the top of the Zaino system (which is a sealant). I was told the finished producted (topped with the P21S) is incredible....we'll see.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:25 PM
Type S personality

my zaino experience

My car is a 99 and until this summer I have not hand washed or wax it. Yes you heard right as I usually take it thru touchless washes. I also live in climates that see snow between October and May. Temperature ranges between -30 to +30 celsius, and they use sand/salt on the roads.

I got my first shipment in July and now have 3 layers of the Z2. I didn't use Dawn cuz I couldn't find it, so I used Palmolive . I didn't get the clay bar, but I used the Z1 once, and then Z5, and Z2 next. Couple weeks later I used Z5, and since I added 2 coats of Z2. I must say this process is addicting, more so than sex. :p

From not washing my car to hand wiping it 3-4 times a week. Black car is hard to keep spotless.

Well, if you want to see couple pics, go here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bigbadboss101

keep in mind, I am a Maxima guy, but we do have a common love, that being our cars, and the Zaino nice smelling stuff!
Old 09-27-2001, 07:45 PM
Pro

Zaino is far less of a pain than it sounds - it goes on and comes incredibly easily. I also disagree with a lot of the steps posted here...

To wit:

On my new TLS, I just bought Z6 and Z2. Did a good wash, did the Z6 and Z2 (now up to six layers), and the car is SWEET!

On my three year old Saab 9-3, I did the Dawn wash and the same thing - no clay or anything, the car looks new.

You can do all of the steps and clay the car for perfection, but Zaino is far better than anything I've tried with just these two core products.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by bricot
I think I'll give it a whirl, I was told the other day that the P21S wax I use is one of the few wax's that you can use over the top of the Zaino system (which is a sealant). I was told the finished producted (topped with the P21S) is incredible....we'll see.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. You might want to give Sal a call at Zaino. Nothing should be layered on top of Zaino. It will prevent the next layer from bonding. As Sal says, Only Zaino bonds with Zaino.

If anything you might be able to put one layer of P21S on but when you went to add the next layer of Z2 you'd have to strip off the P21S.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

I wouldn't be too sure about that. You might want to give Sal a call at Zaino. Nothing should be layered on top of Zaino. It will prevent the next layer from bonding. As Sal says, Only Zaino bonds with Zaino.

If anything you might be able to put one layer of P21S on but when you went to add the next layer of Z2 you'd have to strip off the P21S.
Yep, your right.

Just got off the phone with Sal, he said NOT to put the wax on top, it would be like putting oil on the top that would collect dust and dirt...
Old 09-28-2001, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm.. on some of your colors... it all may be needed.
But on a Silver TL. It's just a waste of time.
Clay bar is a must to remove grime from the paint. Beyond that
it's impossible to tell a difference from zaino or any other cheap
product (for example nu finish- the easist stuff in the world).

Mothers makes a very good clay bar kit for about 12 bucks which
is perfect for my car. If I had black... that'd be a different story.
Mothers kit is a bar, top spray (which is also used for barring) and
a small bottle of wax. Its as shiny as silver will get and it's absolutely
awesome to touch. Very smooth (the advantage of clay bar).
Yes I did do the zaino steps. Zaino was great for my friends blue
nsx and another friends black itr. But worthless for my car.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice !!!!
Zaino sounds way too labor intensive. I think I'll try Mothers.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Closer
Ummm.. on some of your colors... it all may be needed.
But on a Silver TL. It's just a waste of time.
Clay bar is a must to remove grime from the paint. Beyond that
it's impossible to tell a difference from zaino or any other cheap
product (for example nu finish- the easist stuff in the world).

Mothers makes a very good clay bar kit for about 12 bucks which
is perfect for my car. If I had black... that'd be a different story.
Mothers kit is a bar, top spray (which is also used for barring) and
a small bottle of wax. Its as shiny as silver will get and it's absolutely
awesome to touch. Very smooth (the advantage of clay bar).
Yes I did do the zaino steps. Zaino was great for my friends blue
nsx and another friends black itr. But worthless for my car.
This may be true with a lighter color cars but the darker colors show the shine more. I still have not used the Zaino polish on my car yet. I keep using the money for my order for something else. I did however use teh Zaino carwash & the Gloss Enhancer untill all my supply was gone. The Zaino Gloss Enhancer is the best stuff that I have ever used. I have used many products like it this is Meguiars Final Inpection & Quick Detailer, 3M, Mothers Show Car Shine,Zymol Field Glaze, Eagle One Wet Spray& Wipe.
The Zaino Gloss Enhancer works the best & the carwash works well also. The Zaino Gloss Enhancer helps reduce dust on the carwith regular use. I have useed alot of auto pruducts for my other cars prior to the TL all 3 were burgundy/red Hondas. I have the Nighthawk Black & I try to keep it clean Zaino Gloss Enhacer is real good & I think the polish is also.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:47 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you want confusion go to this forum:
http://autopia-carport.com/forum/for...3?s=&forumid=3

(Detailer's forum)

The great debate is Klasse versus Zaino.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just ordered the Zaino line. Should be here next week, I'll let people know if it makes any difference on my NBP over the P21S that I have been using.

Not much on service, only option is UPS Ground shipping.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bricot
Not much on service, only option is UPS Ground shipping.
I thought the service was great. I mailed a personal check with my order, and everything was on my doorstep 8 days later. Better than most mail orders from halfway across the country, I'd say.

btw, one correction to an above post: it is not necessary to let Z1 dry before applying Z5 or Z2 over it.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never tried Zaino, but I use Griots and I'm satified with it. Has anyone else tried Griots from griotsgarage.com?
Old 09-30-2001, 02:49 PM
jps
Racer

Originally posted by GRV6668
Thanks for the advice !!!!
Zaino sounds way too labor intensive. I think I'll try Mothers.
Well, I've done about four different treatments now, being new to detailing my vehicle.

The only reasonably easy one was Meguir's cleaner-wax. Looked good for a little while but brought out the horrible swirl marks from the dealers buff, and wore off quickly.

I tried using Meguir's swirl remover and then their top-of-the-line Yellow Wax. Still bad swirl marks, but looked good and deepened the color. Lasted a little longer than the cleaner-wax. A few more steps than the cleaner-wax.

The Zaino is about as labor-intensive as the Yellow-wax for the first application. After that, its as easy as the cleaner-wax. It LASTS a long long time, and looks terrific. One application of Z5 reduced the swirls significantly. The only drawback is I kind of liked the deeper color from the wax, but the maintainance is much simpler and longer lasting with the Zaino.

It sounds like the Klasse works similar to Zaino, but you can layer a wax over it and get the deeper color. I have not used the stuff, but the folks in the detailing forum are in those two camps for the most part --> Klasse and Zaino.

I don't like to work at this too much, so I'm sticking with Zaino.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Zaino is too labor intensive and Zymol is very easy and effective to use. You don't have to use 4 or 5 different products to protect your car. Zymol was rated #1 by consumer procucts (for what that is worh). Save your money, back and Labor. My Zymol job is still perfect and it has been on the car 5 months!
Old 09-30-2001, 05:35 PM
jps
Racer

Originally posted by wv5b
Zaino is too labor intensive and Zymol is very easy and effective to use. You don't have to use 4 or 5 different products to protect your car. Zymol was rated #1 by consumer procucts (for what that is worh). Save your money, back and Labor. My Zymol job is still perfect and it has been on the car 5 months!
I won't argue with your good results! But I will say Zaino is no more difficult to use than any other product (believe me, I am lazy). Either way, good results.

Here is an interesting experiment that supports your Zymol observation... might have originally been posted by NSXnext?

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html
Old 09-30-2001, 08:35 PM
Daddy

Check out my Zaino'd TL. Keep in mind I have not Z'd it for over three months!!

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...696#post200696
Old 10-01-2001, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Do you use real Zymol or the cheap cr@p from KMart? Zymol, the real stuff is far more expensive than Zaino. You could stock quite a selection of Zaino before coming close to what even one bottle of Zymol costs.

Key is in the preparation. Why does Zaino take so long? Because it has no abrasives in it. You need to prepare the surface of your car very well before putting it on. Once you've gotten to the Z2 layer, you can maintain your car for a long time without having to re-do the whole process. Most car waxes have enough abrasives in it to clean and protect your car. No thanks.

I clay my car twice a year, Z1 2-3 times a year, and Z2/Z6 my car at least once a month. It shines like there is no tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:48 AM
Banned

wv5b: Zaino is so UN labor intensive...and it's SO worth it.

Okay guys, I have a 2k2 Black/Black TLS...brand new, and I took tons of before, during, and after pics...you really notice the difference on the first coat...that was enough to get me to stick with Zaino...then the second and third....heh WOW. When I rub my car with my fingers...I feel the imperfections in my fingers, not the paint job...

Anyone who says it's too hard shouldn't have a car in the first place...because they aren't smart enough to drive.

I spent $40 on this stuff and it just ROCKS. Hell, I want to see if I can be a distributor...and just to clear some stuff up, the steps were posted incorrectly here before...
Get:
-1xZ1
-2xZ2 (clear coat) or 2xZ3 (regular paint)
-1xZ5 ONLY if you have swirl marks (look like light circular scratches)...you will have them though, factory detailing always does it
-2xZ7
-Applicators that they sell...I suggest 3, 1 for Z1, 1 for Z2/Z3, 1 for Z5

1) You want to use Dawn, NOT Z7, and warm water...the warmer the better...and the colder the day the better too...get a bunch of 100% cotton soft towels ($3 at Walmart for the big ones...get a few rags too, $1). Dip your rag in the soapwater and run the claybar behind it. No need to press down really hard, but keep good contact. Stretch the bar out for more surface area...also make sure to remove the embedded plastic piece. Leave the bucket full of warm soapy water to put your rags and applicators in so the stuff doesn't dry in them.
2) Rinse the car.
3) Dry the car.
4) Apply Z1, the polish lock, so that the first coat will stay on the car. Don't pour it on, but make sure you have it everywhere, and good.
5) When it dries, get a sponge (one of the Zaino applicators is good...but the sponge inside it without the cotton cloth is even better, it makes a perfect coat) and put Z5 on the car wherever you have those swirl marks, in a thin coat...where none of it dries white, just cloudy...thicker coats don't help, and having used warm water and a coll environment will help, as I suggested before. Don't wipe the Z1 off beforehand. If you have no swirl marks...skip down to step __.
6) Wait 30 mins and wipe off the Z5, and wipe as much as possible...until there are no imperfections in the finish. Then take a dry rag and spray Z7 over. The big deal here is to not let the stuff dry on the car. Spray on as much as you need to make sure every square inch is coated, but wipe it off after it sits for a minute or so.
7) Keep doing 5-6 until you're content with the swirl marks (they'er usually gone in 3 coats or less)
8) Make sure the last thing you did is coat the car with Z7 again and wipe it off, and wipe Z2 on the car. Coat the whole car...but NOT to where the coat is white...it should look slightly foggy when you put it on...and a little more foggy when it dries...but NOT white. Thick coats won't help and just waste the stuff. Resist the temptation. If you followed my advice of warm water and cool weather, it will spread easy as well but not dry fast, allowing you to spread it everywhere.
8) In 20-30 mins, wipe the car down WELL. Don't touch it anywhere until you're done coating it, as your skin oils won't help the process.
9) Do the spray Z7, wipe off, spray Z2, let dry 30 mins, wipe off until you're content...but after 4 coats you won't notice a difference.

A few notes:
-Don't worry about getting this stuff on glass, the headlights, etc...it wipes right off.
-Make SURE to get all your chrome...it does great on that too
-Every time you finish with an applicator, namely the Z1 and Z5, and then finally the Z2, make sure to put them in the soapy bucket. It will keep the stuff from drying in/on the applicators or rags...and make sure to go wash them in the dishwasher ASAP if you want to save them.
-When you're FINALLY done, buff the junk out of the car with a big towel and your hands...it REALLY starts to shine if you do...I can see the individual specks of paint that make my car black now =)

Austin519
Old 10-07-2001, 03:02 AM
Banned

Oh yeah...I didn't mention...you don't use Z7 the first time...you use it forever after...the reason? Dawn is harsher on the stuff on your car, so it takes the wax etc of better. After that use Z7 only because it's a lot softer on your new polish.

Austin
Old 10-07-2001, 07:52 AM
jps
Racer

Originally posted by Austin519
6) Wait 30 mins and wipe off the Z5, and wipe as much as possible...until there are no imperfections in the finish. Then take a dry rag and spray Z7 over. The big deal here is to not let the stuff dry on the car. Spray on as much as you need to make sure every square inch is coated, but wipe it off after it sits for a minute or so.

8) Make sure the last thing you did is coat the car with Z7 again and wipe it off, and wipe Z2 on the car. Coat the whole car...but NOT to where the coat is white...it should look slightly foggy when you put it on...and a little more foggy when it dries...but NOT white. Thick coats won't help and just waste the stuff. Resist the temptation. If you followed my advice of warm water and cool weather, it will spread easy as well but not dry fast, allowing you to spread it everywhere.
9) Do the spray Z7, wipe off, spray Z2, let dry 30 mins, wipe off until you're content...but after 4 coats you won't notice a difference.
Austin519: Did you confuse Z7 (the car wash) with Z6 (the quick detailer) in these portions of the sequence?
Old 10-07-2001, 08:17 AM
No, you are a dork.

If you were using the real ZYMOL product and not the blue Turtle Wax stuff from KMART, you would be saying that ZYMOL is too labor intensive. WIth its feedings and rubbing on by hand, the REAL ZYMOL is a pain in the A$#. How can anyone think for a second that Zaino is too labor intensive? It is like wiping talc off of a babies ass. Plus, if you dont want to go through everything (most dont need too anyway), use z1 and z2 and then wash with z6 whenever you wash your car.

I think that when you give Zaino a try you will see that your ZYMOL JOB" isnt all that it cracked up to be, by you or by consumer reports. I used ZYMOL (The whole enchilada) for a good 6 months, and talk about labor intensive with so-so results.

Consumer Reports is ok for electronics or things that "work or dont work" but for such a biased subject like car polish/wax, it is best to hear from people like us. I wouldnt believe anything they say, especially about car polish/wax.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:50 PM
Banned

Yeah, my fingers betrayed me...it's Z6, not Z7...good call!