First Post / Modification Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First Post / Modification Question

Good morning all,

I have been lurking for about a year and can't begin to quantify the value of the information I've gotten by scouring your posts. The level of information and the detail in which it is provided is astonishing.

Some of the things I have been able to do (all by myself) by researching on this site include:
-Bought and installed 4 new rotors from iROTORS
-Bought and installed 4 new Hawk brake pads
-Painted my calipers red (very sharp by the way)

So here is what I need help with. The other day I stumbled onto an old thread explaining how to strip and chrome the shift plate on a 99 TL. Pics Looked great and seems easy enough to do. So the other day I get mine removed but run into a problem...

As I was prying it off with a screwdriver I noticed the whole mounting unit it sits on (or 'shifter box' if you will) moving up and down. It is not mounted securely in there. In case I have confused you I am referring to the unit that the shifter sticker is glued to, the one with P, N, D, R, etc. on it.

So as I took off the silver shift plate this unit lifted up at the front left corner (driver side toward steering wheel) and now I can't get it to drop back into place.

I tried removing the console section that covers that area but can't seem to find all the screws to get it off. Does anyone have any idea as to how I can remedy this. It does not appear to be a disasterous problem. The car stiill drives and all that. It just looks like C$*p with the shifter unit dismantled.

Thanks alot for your help in advance. I am sorry if this got confusing but I don't have a digital camera to help show you what I am talking about.

Best Regards,
Tom
Old 07-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I have a 99 TL and did the shift plate mod not I am doing the exact same brake mod. I almost did the same thing I was actually going to paint the part you are talking about. I started taking tit out and then was like let me not do that. It should slide back into place mine did. I am not sure and have not heard of anyone else haveing that problem! how are the irotors I am about to put them on this weekend. I was going to buy ceramic pads from pep-boys for $100.00, does that seem right? and did you do the brakes yourself. Do the rotors make a large difference in appearance and braking????

I will look at my shift plate and see if I can help you out as far as what I did.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i remember correctly, there are four clips, 2 on the front, and 2 on the back. there is also a wire that gets in the way sometime, make sure that the wire is not in the way. thats all i can offer with out pics, hope it helps.