A few Questions about my TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few Questions about my TL

I have a few general questions about the 99 TL i just got:

The leather is is in pristine condition and I would like to try and keep it that way, what are some good treatment things i can use to clean and maintain it?

Does anyone know the propensity of the Bose speakers to blow? I am a big car audio fan, but since this kinda sucked my account dry, it will be several months before i can touch any of the components, and i don't want to deal with the Blose system blowing a speaker in the mean time

Also the only problem I have found so far is the lumbar support seems to be broken and the rear window tint is messed up, are these things that are is covered under factory warranty?

That is all i can think of to ask about the TL, I am still real new to the car, but I learned back when I had my Legend that boards like these tend to be friendlier and better ask such questions to than going to some dealers. If there is anything else anyone can think of that i ought to check out while the car is still under warranty, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Scott P
99 Monterey Blue Pearl TL-P
Old 12-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Racer

Re: A few Questions about my TL

Originally posted by Scott P
I have a few general questions about the 99 TL i just got:

The leather is is in pristine condition and I would like to try and keep it that way, what are some good treatment things i can use to clean and maintain it?

Scott P
99 Monterey Blue Pearl TL-P
Try and find a cleaner containing as much lexol as possible.
Try and steer clear of products containing petrlium distillates.
J
Old 12-23-2002, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I can answer a few of your question & try to point you in the directions to find the answers to the others.
The leather seating suface can be cleaned & protected by Lexol 2 step products or Meguiars products. Meguiars makes quite a few leather products from the Medallion Leather care or Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner & Gold Class Leather Spray or Rich Leather Wipes. As for the stock BOSE system speakers blowing your question might be better answered in the audio section of this forum. But I can say that my 2000 TL that will be 3 years old this Friday has the original Bose system. I have not had any problems with it in the 3years that I have had my car. The only thing I added to the stock system was an XM SATELLITE FM MODULATOR. The lumbar adjustment in this car is not great. I never touch that thing that much. Its kinda hard to adjust. The lumbar adjustment on my previous car a 94 ACCORD EX worked better. I dont know for sure if your car is still under warranty. If you have less than 50,000 miles & the car is not 4 yrs from the original date of sale it may be covered. The TL has no factory tint in the rear window. This is most likely aftermarket stuff added to the car. The TL has heat rejecting green glass thats already in all the windows. Any oter stuff would have been added to the car & would not be covered by warranty.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

I thought my lumbar support was broke also...but after reading the manual, I think its one of those where you have to keep moving the lever up & down to pump it up.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Scott, I replaced my Bose speakers after 8 months, not that they blew...but well...paper cones SUCK!!!! I did a new H/U and all...when I looked at the base speakers, I don't think that they can handle much, I have had my new ones much louder, with the Bose I would have to back them off becuase of distortion.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Thanks for the advice on the leather stuff, that was what i was hearing from people around here, but none of them have dealt with TL's so I figured it better to ask here.

As for the lumbar support, I have tried messing with it in every possible way, yet i still can't get it to work, so i think i am just going to take it to the dealer and let them play with it.

As for the tint, i had my reservations about that. I figured i was out of luck and that it wouldn't have been factory (the fact that a factory job shouldn't have been that piss poor). If i want to go and get the entire re-tinted to say like 20% or something, what do i need to remember to ask about so that it will work across the back?

As for the Bose, Gilgamesh, i know what you mean about paper cones, that is why i am worried about them, I have done some hardcore stuff back when i was into doing systems to Acura legends (I'll post some pics of all the components i pulled out of my last one), but due to restrictions i can't control, i can't change any of the stereo just yet, and even then i don't think i would do much more than the DX6 conversion (although by then there better be a replacement b/c of the dwindling stock of DX6's).

Thanks for all the advice, I think i am gonna really like posting on this board
Old 12-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Sure thing man...dunno how well they fit from stock, but I have a set of Diamond Audio HEX in my frints...they sound pretty good...but they are running amplifies from a Fosgate (cheap, I know) and an H/U with only pre-amps.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have used lexol in the past with good results on other cars. However, my tl seems to have some sort of water-proof coating on the seats. Is this my imagination?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:48 PM
4dr & I like it that way

I dont think the stock system allows you to blow it, the volume stops inceasing after 50% or so, and i have it up there every time i drive