A few questions........

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:34 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions........

Whats up people! New to this forum and wanted somethings answered mainly by Canadian members, but any and all input is great
So, I'm currently deciding between a 2000 Nissan Maxima and, of course, a 3.2 TL black on black. By going through some of the threads, I noticed that this car has a transmission problem. How serious is this problem? Is it worth not getting the car at all? I think the 3.2 TL is a sleek and sexy ride. Anyway, I noticed that majority of U.S. members have the transmission problem -just from what I've read- and not a lot of Canadian members. The ride I'm planning on getting is a private sale with 76,500K+ with balance of the 5yr/ 100,000K warranty. What things should I be looking for when I inspect the vehicle? I plan on taking it to an Acura dealership as well for further inspection.
Any and all replies are appreciated!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:43 AM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on how hard you drive your car,i take care of my car and i have nothing but an SRS problem,wich the dealer will fix on Monday,if you don't sport shift with it(all the time)you'll be ok! But before you buy it go to carfax and check it out or if you want give the vin number and i'll check it out for you(i have a month unlimited access,costs 25usd)since i already payed for it and have it for one month i don't mind looking it up for you i'll e-mail you the results or i'll pm it to you!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:33 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

If the trannie is causing you to lean twords the Maxima, trust me in 6 months you'll be wishing you hadn't. The trannie will be totally fixed in the next year to year and a half. They are doing the recall on the pilots, MDX and Oddesy right now and will be following that recall with the TL and CL recall. Many people have different opinions about this topic, but one of our members has already had a newly designed trannie put in his TL under warranty. and the key to that sentance was "under warranty", the dealer/mechanic told this member that he would not qualify for the recall when it is announced, bewcause he already has the "newly designed" trannie in his TL.

Don't let the trannie make your decision, personally I like the TL better than the Maxima, the new maxima is horrid, with thatwindow from the front to the back across the roof.
The older maxima looks nice but they dropped the ball with the new maxima, I would prefer the Altima over the new Maxima any day. the altima comes with a 3l engine as an option. that's close to the engine in the maxima, if not the same engine.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Where's the press release that the TL and CL will be recalled for complete transmission replacement? Or is this just a rumor or assumption?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

RUMOR... i dont think it will happen ever
Old 04-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i bet it will happen, if they have recalled the pilot and mdx its only a matter of time before they get pressured into it for the TL
Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 1st timer
But before you buy it go to carfax and check it out or if you want give the vin number and i'll check it out for you(i have a month unlimited access,costs 25usd)since i already payed for it and have it for one month i don't mind looking it up for you i'll e-mail you the results or i'll pm it to you!
Thanks !st timer! I will try and get the vin # tomorrow and PM it to you. I really appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2004, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Also, how much should I be paying for a 2000 3.2 TL? This guy wants $19,890 but I'm hoping that price can be negotiated a bit. I'm thinking maybe $18,000 to $18,500. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you guys get your 3.2 TL's for? And was it private sale, independent stealership, or Acura stealership?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:16 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I don't see a dealer putting a newly designed trannie in a TL without prior knoledge of a reacll, they wouldn't be finantially covered, if there wasn't going to be a recall. The member that had his trannie replaced with a new one has had his trannie replaced before (if I remember right?) so he should know (like other multiple trannie TLs owners) what a rebuilt trannie feels like and what a new trannie feels like. This new trannie was not the same "band-aid fix" trannie that they have typically installed in the Tls and the CLs that have had trannie failures, it was a new trannie.

I would bet that Acura (wisely), announces only a few viechles that will be reaclled at one time. Think about all of the Accords (some say they have the same trannie problem), Tls, Cls, Pilots, Oddesys and MDXs all getting a recall at the same time. THAT'S ALMOST ALL OF ACURA'S VIECHLES!! The dealerships would be packed to the T!TS with trannie replacement work. and anyone that couldn't get their car in to the dealer the first week after the recall would complain to acura of bad service because they couldn't get their car/suv fixed "right away".

plus, think of how scared people would get when they hear "Trannie recall" they'll think their car will blow up if it is not fixed within hours. Acura is trying to make the recall as seamless as possible, smart business IMO.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 PM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by Damani
Thanks !st timer! I will try and get the vin # tomorrow and PM it to you. I really appreciate it!
N o problem,just trying to stop you from making a huge mistake!
Old 04-25-2004, 02:27 PM
UB6IB9

Originally Posted by Damani
Also, how much should I be paying for a 2000 3.2 TL? This guy wants $19,890 but I'm hoping that price can be negotiated a bit. I'm thinking maybe $18,000 to $18,500. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you guys get your 3.2 TL's for? And was it private sale, independent stealership, or Acura stealership?
I paid 20500$ for mine with 52000km and the car is super clean,got it from Acura,they originally wanted 22995.