Failed Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Inspection

Hey fellas,

I took my 2000 TL to get the yearly inspection required by NY and it failed b/c of 3 bad tires...

Well 1,500 miles before, i had my 60k service done by the dealer and there was no recommendation for new tires, and I believe in the 60k service they are suppose to check for wear n tear on tires...I was in Atlanta when i had the 60k service and now I am back home in NY.

Do you guys think I should file some complaint, I need 3 new tires and supposedly they were all fine just 1500 miles earlier when the dealer did my service...I feel kinda slighted for not being informed..Should I do anything or let it slide...Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 01:01 PM
www.seattlewhips.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bubbaTL2000
Hey fellas,

I took my 2000 TL to get the yearly inspection required by NY and it failed b/c of 3 bad tires...

Well 1,500 miles before, i had my 60k service done by the dealer and there was no recommendation for new tires, and I believe in the 60k service they are suppose to check for wear n tear on tires...I was in Atlanta when i had the 60k service and now I am back home in NY.

Do you guys think I should file some complaint, I need 3 new tires and supposedly they were all fine just 1500 miles earlier when the dealer did my service...I feel kinda slighted for not being informed..Should I do anything or let it slide...Thanks
Most of the time, Dealers are idiots. I don't know how much you rely on the dealer, but chances are they didn't even check the tires during your 60K checkup. Chances are they didn't really do much of anything your 60K checkup, at least for what you probably paid. Take your car to a tire shop to have them check out the tire wear.

When did you get these tires. Are they the originals?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Failed Inspection

No i can tell I need new tires, I just thought it was irresponsible
for the dealer to do 60k service and not even look at the tires...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

How hard is it to look at your tires? take a penny and stick it, Lincoln's head first, into the center of the tread. If you can still see the top of his head then you need new tires.

If you have to have the dealer tell you that you might should consider replacing tires, do they have to give you a phone call to remind you to change the oil? This is pretty common-sense stuff.

But, just wondering, what Atlanta Acura dealer did you visit? If it was Nalley they don't know their collective ass from a hole in the ground.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Failed Inspection

I think the point I was making was that you expect certain amount responsibility
when you pay for over $400 for a service....I can tell I need new tires but I was just trying to imply dealers need to do their job right and was it worth writing up a complaint to HQ or should we just expect crappy service from dealers...

It was Ed Voyles Acura on Peachtree Industrial
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I use Ed Voyles and they have been great. They recommended me replace my tires last time I was in and my tires weren't even old, they just weren't Michelin.

BTW Paying $400 for a 60k mile service... did that include a gallon jug of KY Jelly? All that Acura needs at 60k is an oil change, all filters changed, and maybe a tire rotation depending on your schedule. Do it yourself for $50-60 or let an independent shop do it for $90-100... No way in hell should you EVER pay that much for the dealer's BS stuff. Huge waste of money.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Wallace, LA

Just read the manual and do what they say to do in there. Save yourself the $ and learn about your car. Plus it is satisfying. Dealers overcharge for fluff like "lubricate all hinges" It isn't that hard to buy white grease and do it youself. Obviously I oversimplyfy some but...most of that stuff is easy.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

if you can't visually tell your tires are bald theres something wrong...

when my tires get to the edge its easy to tell that they are shot and also handling sucks usually.

its not the dealers fault.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Racer

That's pretty hard to believe a dealer tech didnt recommend tires. I would not let a car go with bad tires, i dont care how big the bill is that my advisor has to give to the customer.. You should call your dealer and request to see the back of the Work order.. Or maybe whatever inspection station you went to is wrong..

Acura will recommend tires at 3/32.. they will not recommend tires at 4 and 5/32's.
Pennsylvania fails tires at 2/32's.

Maybe NY state inspection laws are different.

And please, enough with the dealer bashing ONCE AGAIN! without knowing the full story.
Let's start bashing some sideshop's.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Acura Techs cannot take it upon themselves to replace tires if it has not been okay'd with the customer... otherwise, the tires will be free. I will absolutely NEVER pay for work any place, dealer or otherwise, does on my car that I did not specify or agree to. So you saying that you won't release a car with bad tires is - you have no choice if the customer insists. After all, it does belong to them.

But again, someone just got ripped off by a dealer. I let Ed Voyles Acura do the warranty work on my car and they did a good job, but since my car has been out of warranty (about 4,000 miles now), I won't ever go back to a dealer. They charge too much for services either I can do myself or have someone else do at a fraction of the cost.. and Kris is proof that dealer service is not necessary for the longevity of an Acura or a Honda for that matter.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Acura Techs cannot take it upon themselves to replace tires if it has not been okay'd with the customer... otherwise, the tires will be free. I will absolutely NEVER pay for work any place, dealer or otherwise, does on my car that I did not specify or agree to. So you saying that you won't release a car with bad tires is - you have no choice if the customer insists. After all, it does belong to them.

But again, someone just got ripped off by a dealer. I let Ed Voyles Acura do the warranty work on my car and they did a good job, but since my car has been out of warranty (about 4,000 miles now), I won't ever go back to a dealer. They charge too much for services either I can do myself or have someone else do at a fraction of the cost.. and Kris is proof that dealer service is not necessary for the longevity of an Acura or a Honda for that matter.

Maybe dealers charge too much, and your out of warranty..But you know what, paying the prices will benefit you in the long run.

Hey if you have 150k on your TL and the trans. takes a crap...Your BEGGING with the service manager, district rep, blah blah.. who do you really thinks it's up to?

Service manager..

What's the first thing he's going to do? Check your service history!

oh this guy came in for all warranty work, denied all service work. He hasnt been here in xx amount of miles since he ran out of warranty..

Say goodbye to the goodwill on your transmission.

Maybe the trans. was a bad analogy because they fail so often..but that's just saying hypothetically..

You are considered a "BEDBUG". That's a dealer term for people who try to do all their own work and only come for warranty work. Service managers have THE LEAST BIT of sympathy for BEDBUGS. So do not expect many "GOODWILL" parts after your warranty expires.

What you people do not know, is that Service Departments can WARRANTY VIRTUALLY ANYTHING. It all depends on what that customer does for us so when it's convenient, we return the favor with smiles on our faces.

Hey your money is your money and you have the right to spend it where you want reguarding your vehicle. But when the times come to diagnose and replace a vital and VERY EXPENSIVE part on your vehicle..IS THAT SIDESHOP GOING TO HELP YOU? Who is going to help you in that situation?

Something to think about.
Please don't reply with your smartass comments, im just letting you know another side of looking at the perspective.

good luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:06 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The first "very expensive" part my TL needs, it's a goner. I don't keep cars I have to work on. And I've yet to have a Honda that ever really needed anything.