Exhaust and Tinted Windows TICKET?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Volks FTW!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust and Tinted Windows TICKET?!?!

so i was minding my own business on the freeway driving 65mph and i saw this CHP (california highway patrol) come up from behind and he starts pacing with me for a bit. right off the bat i knew i didn't violate any traffic violations but he can still pull me over for some dumb ass shit... and he does. to make a long story short, he said my greddy evo2 exhaust is a bit too loud (it's a catback and yes i have my cat) and my front windows are too dark (15%). he gave me a fix it ticket for the 2 things so my question is, if i fight it, how likely is it that i win? my opinion is that my exhaust is not that loud and my windows are not that dark. i know by california standards, you cannot tint the front 2 windows at all. just give me some feedback on what i should do. i have to set a court date soon.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

im not sure about the cat..but for sure u cant fight the tint in front windows..u gotta show a police station and they will write it off..
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
As you said you're not allowed to tint the front windows and the exhaust is subjective. If the officer thinks it's too loud then he can give it a ticket. It's kinda dumb that the officer gets to decide if it's too loud or not...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
That's rubbish...

I got pulled over for jacking around with my friends in my car with no headlights on at 10 pm and I went to court to fight it because the officer wrote it as not a moving violation, but as an equipment malfunction. I planned to claim in court that I had my lights on when the car was in motion and I was going to use my 4 friends...all teenagers..as witnesses...I got there...Felt pretty good about it cuz I really didn't do anything...honestly. I think it was just b/c there was 5 teenagers in the car and if I was alone I doubt I get pulled over...So anyways..I walked into court and the officer didn't show....I'll tell you this cuz my friends dad is a cop and he told me straight up. Cops have better things to do than going to court for some dumb ticket that they can care less about. I'm not saying don't be prepared cuz if he or she shows up your screwed if you don't have a plan or excuse. I did get out of a $75 ticket tho and as far as your tint goes..thats a no go, cuz it's obviously illegal for the fronts.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
All the way to redline

When I got pulled over for modded exhaust and also no front plate, I took the car to the PD and the officer there went outside looked at the car told me to turn it on and then he just signed off on it. I didn't fix anything or change anything he just signed off on it.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
10th Gear

I got several tickets for a modded exhaust in my prelude until if I got one more they would take the car. Needless to say I run a stock exhaust but kept the cat back. It still gets pretty loud with the intake and actually I think it runs better/stronger.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced

For the window tints>Go to a doctor and say regular sunlight hurts your eyes and get a written note to allow window tints=)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kinghost1
For the window tints>Go to a doctor and say regular sunlight hurts your eyes and get a written note to allow window tints=)

DIZZZAAMMM!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

california laws suck. move to texas. we all run around with dark ass tint. i have limo in the back and 13% in the front. the cops that dont care. never had a problem with any of them. but inspection stations wont pass you though. got a good friend that we take all our cars too. since im running a straight pipe, header, aem intake, no horn on my momo wheel.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 PM
SOLD

I got 2 tint tickets in my 04NBP TL, I have 5% which I know is dark, yet the only ones who care here are State Troops. I am fairly sure it is monetarily motivated.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Originally Posted by NightRider
30% full tint windshield.

you tinted your windshield. are you freakin serious. that had to be dark as shit
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you could fight the EXHAUST ticket... usually Greddy products are carb exempt... it's not a matter of opinion if the cop thinks it's too loud or not... if i'm correct i don't think it can be louder than 95dB to be legal... there should be a greddy plaque on the canister with the carb#... if i checked out the greddy site correct for an Evo2 I only saw an application for a CL-s 02-03 and not a TL... so that means it would only cover the ticket if it was on a CL... but you can always try... as mentioned above most of the time the cops don't even show up to court....

http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...&SubCategory=2
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Volks FTW!!!

greatly appreciated guys! as far as the windows i might just go see an eye doctor to get a note for sunlight sensitivity to my eyes. and as far as the exhaust, that shit is fuckin gay! it's bullshit what they do to make quota and what they do to make their numbers. the ones that suffer are the ones like us who want to have fun and be creative with their cars. i think it's completely fucked up and i'm about to fight this shit in court. anyone else have any expertise in this field? i guess my question is - is there anything i can do to not have to peel my tint off and get it signed off? it's just a waste of time b/c right after i get it signed off, i'm gonna have it put on again. for those of you that live in CA, fuck the CHP and everything that is affiliated with them.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Volks FTW!!!

Originally Posted by dro_15
you could fight the EXHAUST ticket... usually Greddy products are carb exempt... it's not a matter of opinion if the cop thinks it's too loud or not... if i'm correct i don't think it can be louder than 95dB to be legal... there should be a greddy plaque on the canister with the carb#... if i checked out the greddy site correct for an Evo2 I only saw an application for a CL-s 02-03 and not a TL... so that means it would only cover the ticket if it was on a CL... but you can always try... as mentioned above most of the time the cops don't even show up to court....

http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...&SubCategory=2

thanks bro! that def helps.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Advanced

ahh one more thing....if your gonna fight in in court you NEED to re-schedule your court appearance as many times as you can. About 75% of the time the cop will not show if you re-scheduled correctly, Which means all charges are dropped and your free to go!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

even if your exhaust is carb legal, you still need to goto a state referee shop and have the exhaust sound tested and get a little sticker that says it is carb legal, the carb number is match and sound is ok. I've had to do that for my intake, cops told me even though the carb number is there, it is invalid til its ran to see if its the correct part for you car and you are givin a sticker. I dont know where you are located but i know there is one in modesto that will do it, and sound test is free of charge.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For exhaust, you can fight it. Go to the court and request for sound test at your nearest location (I don't know where?) since the law said that you can't have exhaust sytem that louder than 95dbs. I got ticket (not fix ticket) for loud exhaust before (pre-sound test station ~ 5years ago) on my Accord, and I won at the Court due to 95dbs exhaust law. As for tint fix it ticket, unless you can get doctor note to certified that due to skin, eyes disease that sensitive to sunlight, pretty much you have to remove the tint, then re-tint later on if you want. It's just an infraction violation, not misdemeanor!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:06 AM
Volks FTW!!!

all opinions taken into consideration.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Both of the tickets should be cleared out as if they were fix it tickets, even if the cop didnt check correctable, the judge will let them go.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
for exhaust, you can fight if its CARB cert. dont worry about that part.
but for the tints yea, no tinted windows in the front. i have 35%, i think, all around (same as the stock sunroof) and ive been lucky to havent been pulled over yet. i dunno what im gonna do if i do.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... Shit, I love FL now!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i got pulled over for my 2 front tints few weeks ago..surprisingly he didnt even notice my windshield was tinted...when he asked for my drivers lic n registration..jus pulled out a couple of PBA cards and detective cards..he asked me how i got all of them..jus said my whole family is in the NYPD..and he let me go..the truth is i have no idea who any of the cards belong to lmao
Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Volks FTW!!!

that's too funny bro. glad he didn't notice the windshield.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Even the exhaust is CARB legal, it has nothing to do with this case since the violation is for loud exhaust, not illegal aftermarket exhaust. btw, all aftermarket exhaust is LEGAL except that you run straight pipe/remove the catalytic converter.

Oh, one more advice: If you know a cop and he is your friend, have him sign off the ticket without removing the tint/exhaust test.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

THAT SUCKS MAN, can u just pay it, or do you have to actually show u fixed it?.....Down here in FL it's a secondary offense, meaning u have to get pulled over for a moving violation first before the can site you for your (tint, exhuast)..but they damn sure pull me over for sound violations...bastards...lol
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Yup, and in FL all the windows can be limo but the offices has to be able to see you or your silhouette thru the back window.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Yup, and in FL all the windows can be limo tint but the officers has to be able to see you or your silhouette thru the back window.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by LacViet
Even the exhaust is CARB legal, it has nothing to do with this case since the violation is for loud exhaust, not illegal aftermarket exhaust. btw, all aftermarket exhaust is LEGAL except that you run straight pipe/remove the catalytic converter.

Oh, one more advice: If you know a cop and he is your friend, have him sign off the ticket without removing the tint/exhaust test.
I thought Greddy exhausts were all carb legal. They should have it stamped somewhere or should've given you a sticker stating that it's carb legal and the carb legal product certificate number. Show that to the department and it may be enough to get you off on the ticket.... however if the cop said it was the level of noise, and that's written on the ticket.. read below.

I actually don't know if all aftermarket exhausts are Legal - Legal in the sense that you're allowed to buy and put them on your car? Yes, probably. However, they must pass carb/emissions laws and must be lower than the 95db. I think most aftermarket exhausts can pass the car/emissions laws; its the 95db that most exhausts fail.

As for the tints, you can try going to a doctor and asking for a prescription, but I've found it rather hard to find doctors who are willing to write prescriptions for people who do not need it. I mean all things considered, those "limo tint" prescriptions are for people who are highly allergic to sunlight/uv rays and not for guys who want to tint their windows. Most doctors will be pissed off that you'd waste their time for such a thing OR will charge you for an appointment/check up and then deny you after determining that you don't have an allergy to sunlight.

BTW, if your cop wrote you up for your front window tints, and not your front windshield, if you take in your car to get the front windows inspected and the inspecting officer notices your windshield tinted, they will give you another fix it ticket for the windshield. I know from experience.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive never had an issue yet in the tl, but with my accord i got ticketed for tint and modified exhaust a few times.

i recently got 20% all around, so ill just pay the ticket if i get one. as for the exhaust, i found the tanabe link to prove its legal... much like the greddy link posted before.

http://tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medalionhyper.asp

it actually states that at ALL rpm's the exhaust doesnt exceed the 95db limit.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

I remember to read some report on www.semasan.com stated that 90% aftermarket exhaust currently sell is legal under the 95bds law. Here is the link: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8132. Here is also the link for more info on the 95dbs law: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61385 and other law in the US.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
TL.....mmmmmm

i know you can go to court and pay the fine for tinted windows and not take them off its like 140 or somethin like that cuz i was in there for speeding and some other guy was there for tints and the judge was like you can just take them off and pay like 10 bucks but the dude was like no its cool ill pay the fine cuz im gunna end up putting them back on anywayz....so yeah u could just do that?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know they make exhausts to be under a certain decibel limit... but i didnt know there was any carb laws for them to abide by. they are "catbacks" because they are piping after catalytic convert back to the muffler... therefore they dont affect emissions.

that'd be like having to get a carb sticker for new rims or a paintjob. completely unrelated to the emissions of the vehicle.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Instructor

please don't get it mistaken... all exhaust are not legal... if it the product has not been C.A.R.B. exempt then the makers selling the product usually will state "For Off Road Use Only" ... what I meant with the C.A.R.B. legal was that it can't be louder than 95dB... so it does matter in this case... even if you exhaust wasn't louder than 95dB the cop can come right back around and cite you for a modified exhaust which the C.A.R.B. exempt comes right back into play.... otherwise why would Greddy/Trust, DC sports etc... go through the trouble of getting there parts C.A.R.B. exempt... it's a lengthy process to make their parts legal...
Old 07-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
All these laws are such BS because choppers are often louder than cars and some are downright ear shattering, and yet they don't get the kind of attention from cops as a loud car gets...
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Instructor

i agree....
Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
These cops need to go out and fight REAL crime instead of ticketing cars for BS like dark windows and loud exhaust.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Volks FTW!!!

Originally Posted by 02type-s
These cops need to go out and fight REAL crime instead of ticketing cars for BS like dark windows and loud exhaust.
i absolutely agree with you bro. there are MANY more things out there on the streets that cops need to pay attention to. AMEN!!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeDan00
i absolutely agree with you bro. there are MANY more things out there on the streets that cops need to pay attention to. AMEN!!
Yeah, I have had 4 tickets for window tint (15% with 35% windshield) and its just like,
"there is a crack dealer on the corner over there and you are giving me a window tint ticket?!" lol
Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pnoi521
As you said you're not allowed to tint the front windows and the exhaust is subjective. If the officer thinks it's too loud then he can give it a ticket. It's kinda dumb that the officer gets to decide if it's too loud or not...
I bet it's not as loud as a Harley
Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 AM
B A N N E D

sorry to hear this had to happen to you dan.

hot chicks btw philly.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Tinted Windows TICKET?!?!