Enough about the TL-S failings... what do you love about it..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Enough about the TL-S failings... what do you love about it..

Personally, I think the tranny is a bitter/sweet pill. Yeah yeah.. failures galore.. but when it's working, it's one of the best shifting, more aggressive trannys in a car i've driven.

C&D even commented that besides the 330Ci's 5AT, the TL-S was the 2nd tranny most likely to find the perfect gear for a desired driving pattern. Even amidst the driver-adapting tranny's from Mercedes, they selected the TLS as having the better unit. (This from an article about a year ago).

I think it handles better than most entry level sports sedans out there.. and bang for the buck factor is still one of the best achievements of this car.

The aggressive sound of the engine is unlike any other I've heard .. it's truly a unique sound that I miss when I drive the Maxima. I also like the great mod-ability ...
Old 03-08-2003, 02:29 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything.. Ive had a few rattles fixed here and there but every other car I have owned has been worse (except its a lot quiter in the TL so you can hear small things more).... Ive had it a year and a half.. got 25K miles on it and its the first car in 5 years I have not sold after owning it for 1 year.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:35 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I would say... "Value" You guys have to admit... for what we paid for? And what comes with the car? Come on? If that exact same car had a M.B. emblem instead of an Acura, it'd be at least 10g more.

Though, I have to admit, I have been seeing more TLs lately... it's still a car you don't see every corner you turn... like BMW 3 series, C-class, etc. etc... Since mine's lowered with 19s, it really stands out.

Yeah, some of the competitors are coming out with their version of "luxy/entry sports sedan," and they might be a fraction of a second faster... you guys have to admit... it's still a well performing car, beats a lot of V8s out there.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Advanced

I think the TL-S may only have 2 minor failings
1. It isn't rear-wheel drive.
2. The stock tires are not good.

Other than that, I think the engine/transimssion combo is as good as it gets (MUCH better than the BMW StepTronic). The interior is fantastic and the car is amazingly comfortable on the highway.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking understated ...

One thing I like about my car is how understated it is. Already a rather uncommon car where I live (closest Canadian dealership is 100 miles away), I like the fact that it's a sleeper car -- you have all this power and relative luxury, but no one knows what it is. However, when you add some of the mods, it really stands out. I like the fact that even ricers take a second look at my car. (Only subtle mods to my car thus far)

And the price ... you can't beat all the goodies you get. :wow:

I like someone started this thread as opposed to the "what's wrong with my car" posts we see once in a while.

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM kit & spoiler | PIAA fogs | 20% tints | 3A tips | yellow calipers | painted y-pipe | INSPIRE door sills
future mods: springs & sways (spring 2k3) | cleared corners, INSPIRE trunk lettering, Modulo badging (have 'em)
Old 03-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Pro

My 02 only has 20.5K on it after almost 2 years. I still love the car. I like the way it easily accelerates. No muss, no fuss. Quiet and smooth. I like what I paid for.

I also like the comfort level it provides on long trips. I took it AZ from NC late 2001 and I didn't feel the need to ever get out of the car due to back fatigue, etc.

In fact, since they are offering 2.9% on the 03 model, I was debating upgrading to a NAVI...
Old 03-08-2003, 07:41 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
For the money, the TL-S is about as perfect a car as you can get. It is just the right size - a 4 door, yet not so big that it lumbers. The interior is well thought out and functional. The body style can be "classic" or "sporty" (with the kit and spoiler). THe power is awesome, there are many mods available for it, the gas mileage is good, it is drivable in heavy snow (with the right tires), the NAVI is a winner, the service is reasonable.

All in all, a great package, a great value, and one albeit major flaw. MaximumBummer

:-jon
Old 03-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my tl-s has 46 k miles (same Tires) and not one rattle or one problem. I agree with a previous post, it seems this site is a lot about what is wrong with the car. You sure won't find any other website that has as many post about a car as the acura tl-s. There are so many people enthused about this car. If there is a BMW site with this many comments please let me have the address.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i agree with every one so far. For the money and what you get it cant be beat! i have 109,000 miles on my 2000TL and its as tight as the day i bought it. the car just plain rocks. fast handles great quiet. ill more than likley go for the new TL unless its FUGLY...
my Tl actually has less rattles than my buddies LS400
Old 03-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Racer

I've only got about 3500 miles on mine so I haven't run into any problems yet.

I absolutely love the car. It has style, prestige and POWER. I find the interior to be very comfortable as well as "user friendly". Other than the tranny issue, Honda/Acura typically are some of the best cars on the road.

The standard feature list of the car is why I bought it.

I was originally going to get a 330i until I saw that HID lights, metallic paint, leather interior, a sunroof, a CD changer and a steptronic transmission were going to make it at least $10K more expensive than the TL-S which came with all of the above.

The TL-S has finished in the top two on Edmunds sport sedan comparisons two years in a row. It was number one last year but BMW just barely beat it to be number 1 this year. I don't need to drop $10K just to say I've got the number 1. I also think the TL-S has more interior room and a more luxury look to it. The only thing the BMW has over it, IMO, is the name BMW.

I'd recommend this car to anyone.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:41 PM
l33t

Between my '99 TL and my grandmothers '02 TL-S, these cars are just great. Im such a pickey person when it comes to what car i want, ive seen damn near every car up close and personal, drove some, some i didnt bother. When i got the TL, i didnt even drive it. I already knew. My car has 56,000 miles on it and it still drives like new, like it should. Shes sporty, ricers play with me all the time. Most times you see a gold on tan TL with old people in it, yet for some reason ricers look at it, cant see whos driving (3% tint) and want to play. She looks agressive, and acts that way too. The interior i think is one of the best though out interiors ever. BMW, Merc, and other luxary interiors lack something. the inside of my TL is my favorite over any thing else ive seen, second only to the GS.

Shes sleak, agressive, fast, fun, safe, inexpensive, and stylish. The best of all worlds in one car. You dont drive this car, this car drives you

-Me
Old 03-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
I agree with you guys, I just got out a CL Type S lease and now have the 2003
TL TYpe S.

The price is just great and the options, or such I say, Standard equipment, is just amazing for any car.

A few things I like so far, only 225 miles on it, is that the car seems to handle better than the CL and the steering is much better, not as light.

Next week I'm getting the windows tinded (35%) and mudguards from the dealer.

I love the extra room in the back of the TL vs. CL.

My 4th. Acura and never had a problem, keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Interesting

It's suprising that the thread starter (PeterUbers), and at least one contributor (Oblio), sold their TLs because of failed trannys, but still chimed in with very positive comments overall.

Guys, glad to see that your tranny misfortune didn't turn you into complete Acura bashers. You probably have a right to be, tho.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

its about time someone post something like this up.
lately i've been reading thru so many tranny problem and what not.

i like the attention i get from other people on the road.
the interior turns me on.
and i'll f*ck those exhust tips anyday.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:55 PM
TL
Instructor

The TL always continues to amaze me with how well thought it it is. For instance, does everyone know that there is a cool green light in the center console storage? Handling and acceleration are also great!
Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Safety Car

Re: Interesting

Originally posted by kennelm
It's suprising that the thread starter (PeterUbers), and at least one contributor (Oblio), sold their TLs because of failed trannys, but still chimed in with very positive comments overall.

Guys, glad to see that your tranny misfortune didn't turn you into complete Acura bashers. You probably have a right to be, tho.
Who sold his Tl-S?? Not me .. my sig should still state that I own my TL-S .. I have 30K miles on it, a second tranny, and it's running strong and I love it. My maxima only replaced my '98 Isuzu Rodeo.

I am going to keep this car till it falls apart.

Thank you ALL for your positive replies... this is an Acura enthusiast's forum... we need to talk MORE about the awesome aspects of the car (if you truly feel that way) and still be able to come together and be honest about it's failings .. However, I think I've read thru enough tranny postings and have sparred w/ enough irate TLS owners on this forum to know that I"m done talking crap about the tranny --

If your tranny goes out on you, I'm sorry, I apologize for Acura, deal with it, like WE DID, and move on. Sell your car, take the hit, and get a car you like MORE than the TL-S.

Another cool part of the TL-S... I love the sport instrument cluster... ala the GS300/430 .. yeah, alittle more tacky, but still pretty cool to look at.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Instructor

When i had my TLS...

I loved that interior layout, it was just classy and smooth. I LOVED the navi.. steering wheel was nice and thick, the sound of Vtec is HOTT. VALUE of course. Thats what i came up with for now
Old 03-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Oops. Sorry, Peter. Thought you sold yours.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:20 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I forgot to mention the little things like the mirror heaters... "us," Southern Californians never really need it... but I actually had to use it once... and I remember thinking to myself... "...that's pretty damn cool... and I didn't even have to pay extra for it."

I just wish the back seats fold down.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:44 PM
O.G.

Like I've said before, I love my 99 TL now more than I did over 4 years ago.

When I first saw the 99 TL, it was love at first sight. Then to drive it was just simply amazing. Never has a car been offered with so much amenities for so little a price.

I don't care that the newer cars might be a tick faster or a little more luxurious, just wait til the new TL come out. Then we'll talk. It re-invented the "entry-luxury" class in 1999 and it will do again for 2004.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Safety Car

It's exciting to think of what the future TL may be like ... w/ all that the current TL offers... if there is a 4 to $5k price increase.. knowing acura, you'll get your money's worth .. so in my opinion, $5k buys A LOT.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Rock Star

i love basically everything I try not to let what everyone says on the site to get into my head too too much I mean its good be be advised and to know the weak parts of the car but thats what a warrenty is for. The car really turns heads the thing that i get alot is that it seems when people see it the first thing they look for is to see if it is a Type-S which it is......i mean i love it all the look of it the HIDS the rims leather sun roof wood kit the drive the power speed etc etc etc etc.....and i cant wait to see the A-Spec and look forward to most likely buyin the next generation TL cant beat the bang for the buck I priced the BMW 3 series b4 gettin this and the price was out of control and most of the stuff that was standard on my TLS was an option for the BMW....great value hott car.....Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:22 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I love everything about the car except the torque curve being so far into the rpm range...
Mods can take care of some of that, and I certainly wanted to mod the last car I bought (this one). I had narrowed it down to the Audi 1.8T, the IS300, and the BMW...With options, the Bimmer topped $39k, the Audi was only $29,500 and I could have modded it for less and it likely would have been as quick or quicker, but the Audi was so small and the possibility of replacing an Audi turbo unit after 50,000 is pricey...The Lexus I LOVED but the aftermarket goodies weren't as readily available and it couldn't touch the acceleration of the TL-S at all. Further, the Lexus was almost $34k...
I walked out paying just under $29k for a new Type S with all the features none of these cars could touch.
Even with all my mods and install, I've still spent a hair under $35k.
For a car that lacks rattles, has the best service of any dealer network I've ever been around, has every feature I could want, cost me less than $35k, gets 27 mpg on the highway and runs away on the street from anything short of a V8 or car less than $47k(with the mods present), what else can I freakin' ask for???
Old 03-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Instructor

It's just the best bang for your buck. Great ride, really, a great engine. Powerful yet not so agressive. The gas mileage is pretty good, the quiet and comfort is wonderful. The navi is the best on the market! I have yet to try a navi that comes close to ease of use ours has. LOVE those HIDs! Seriously, what an amazing car. When I was originally looking at cars two years ago and found this, this was the only car for well under $30K that had a navi, Hids, and a auto-dim mirror - 3 features I wanted the most. Two years later, gosh, I'm in love with this car more than on the first day I got it. New tranny...sure, but man, that's the ONLY issue I've had with this car. It's truly amazing. I took the stock tires to 60,000 and they still had a fair amount of tread left on them. I could go on and on.....it's a really wonderful car and this is a great thread to share what people love about it!

haf
Old 03-10-2003, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

I just purchased a new 2003 TLS navi last month, having sold my 740I which I had for ten years. I was concerned before my purchase about the tranny issue and spoke to a regional Acura manager, who explained the problem and what Acura had done to correct it. I was impresssed also that Acura had stepped up and extended the warranty on affected cars. I only have 1,500 miles on the car but I really like it. My 13 yr old son says it is a small version of our old 740I (at less than half the price!)
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 PM
8th Gear

Thumbs up

OK, I've had really bad luck with Acura's. Actually, it's not the car, but other drivers crashing into every Acura up to this one. I'm now on my 5th, yes 5th!, Acura. 3 Legends (all totalled by others), an '02 TLS that was totalled in January by a guy who ran a stop sign, and what did I replace it with? Yep, an '03 black on black TLS with spoiler, no navi.

I live in the heart of BMW land - we have a plant in our town, so you can imagine how many are running around here!

And I looked at a bunch of cars - 330, 530, G35, A4 & A6, GS430. But I just really liked the TLS the best. Fun to drive, easy to take care of, and didn't break the bank! What more can you ask for?

:flamer:
Old 03-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

You guys and gals that have responded are very cool! I love reading all these positive perspectives... w/ all these tranny posts...it's sorta like watching the nightly news... they never report any of the good stories.. only the bad ones that'll get everyone's attention. It's good to hear the other side.. and most likely the more represented side.

After drive the 4-spd auto in the Maxima.. you really learn to appreciate the 5-spd in the TL-S.. it is a joy and a thrill to drive compared w/ the maxima's tranny.

I love the rims too.. I think the Type S rims are some of the best stock rims I've ever seen on a car (in it's price range of course .. and even slightly above it's price range). I would like to see wider rims.. but hell, it fits the package

I love the DUAL EXHAUST!! how many cars have this awesome feature?? Dual chrome tips is very cool .. and the exhaust note to match is sweet.

I agree w/ how the Type S gets many head turns... I almost never turn my head to check out another maxima or an ES300 or even a benz E class... but i'll check out a Type S everytime... very sophisticated, refined look.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Instructor

... but i'll check out a Type S everytime... very sophisticated, refined look.
I agree with this characterization. Did you read the R&T comparison where the Type-S placed 6th out of 11 cars? They really bagged on the TL's styling, which brought the score way down. If they would have given it a few more style points, it would've placed much higher. I have to laugh...when I was talking to the Inifiniti dealer about the G35, he brought up the R&T comparison (you know, trying to build up the G35 by citing the 1st place finish). I told him yeah, it did finish ahead of the TL-S, but I actually like the styling much more than the review. Sheesh...I think the Infiniti guy mentioned "Car of the year" about 8 times when I was talking to him. The G35 is a fine vehicle, but the TL-S was a MUCH better value with a quite a few things better than the G35.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

I saw it on car and driver magazine that the TL-S rank second whereas the G-35 take 4th place. BMW was the first.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Great post--yeah, just like the nightly news, ppl typically only post the bad things that happen to them and not the good things.
In reality, other than the few problem issues ppl keep talking about over and over, the TL-s have really not had any other problems. It's a smooth car, awesome power, sips petrol, comfort, finesse all rolled into one neat package. Sure, they've skimped on a few things like better quality control, but for this price, I hope ppl aren't expecting bentleys.
It's easier to start complaining because, simply, there are TOO MANY things good about the car, and just a few problems...
Rock on...
Old 03-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

I just hope the newly restyled TL-S doesn't push the envelope quite as much as Nissan did to the new maxima.. ugh.. they need to go retro from this point on if Nissan is going to win me back to the Maxima.

Judging by Acura's subtle changes to their lineups over the years.. i doubt we'll see anything that dramatic... hell, even the TSX has many styling cues from the TL-S ..and the TSX looks VERY nice IMO.

Imagine the interior of the TSX in the new TL-S ... very nice
Old 03-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Value, value, value. I looked at the 2004 Accord EX V6, 2003 Nissan Altima, and 2003 Toyota XLE V6 before picking up my 2003 TL-S three months ago. None of the other cars had the styling (I call it "conservative aggressive"), power, and features like the TL-S. I didn't look at more expensive vehicles. I view the TL as a step up from the ordinary, rather than a cheap luxury car. Plus $30K before taxes was my absolute limit. The Accord was the biggest contender, but I couldn't get past that ugly styling (especially the rear end - yikes!). I hope that isn't the direction for the 2004 TL. The TSX is also not very inspiring - and with talk that it might top out at close to $30K means that the TL has to move up several thousand dollars as well from its current MSRP (as if anyone actual pays MSRP now). There are some serious financial advantages to picking up a 2003 TL-S now rather than waiting for 2004. Of course, Acura could pull off another mind-blower deal (like the RSX versus the Integra) so I could be wrong. Anyway, great car!
Old 03-12-2003, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
I have my TL - S for 2 weeks now and have 520 miles and just changed the wheels. Got ROH Fury and Sumitomo's HTR+,it looks good.

Got the 17 in. as I didn't want to go to crazy with 18's. I did like the org. wheels but I had a CL - S with the same type and didn't want the same wheels for 6 years.

Car is running great, like it better than my CL - S. Can't beat the value of this car, to me their is nothing out that could match this for the money!