Engine Stalked when running idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Stalked when running idle

Am going to pick up a brand new TL Type-S today.

But something unexpected happened:

In the test drive before taking the delivery, the TL's engine stalked when I stoped for a red light a few hundred feet out of the dealership. Had to restart engine, and this problem didn't happen again in the rest of the test drive.

The salesperson took the car back to dealership's mechanic to check it out. They later said that they are supposed to run the engine idle for 4 minutes when the car is parked, so that the computer regualating the engine can adjust to the new car. They explained that they missed this step and it caused the engine to stalk when we stopped for the red light. Now that they have run the car for this period of time and the engine shouldn't stalk any more.

:wow:

Now are the anxious questions:

1. Is there really such a step in prepping a new TL?
2. Is that possible that they can miss an important thing like this?
3. Would this be a valid explanation for the engine's stalking?
4. Any one ever heard about engine stalking issues for TL Type S?
5. What would you suggest to do, should I take the delivery?

Thanks a lot!

Godspeed
Old 08-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
1. Never heard of it.
2. If there were such a step, they shouldn't miss it.
3. Maybe. Sounds like BS, though.
4. There's a guy on the board whose TL-S stalled on the way home after taking delivery. It was fixed under warranty. Don't ask me what was wrong with it, because I don't remember.
5. Do NOT take delivery of that specific vehicle. It's f*cked. It's like an abused slut. You don't want that. Instead, test drive a different vehicle. Make sure the mileage is between 3 and 4.5 miles. Any more than that, it's already been test driven. Me, I requested a brand new car, never test driven. It had 3 miles on the clock. Test drive it, and make sure everything's ok. Pay attention to the steering alignment. If it pulls at all, take a different car. F*ck the dealership if they complain about it. Mine pulls to the left, and they claim they can't fix it, stating it's within normal operating range. If normal means nearly driving off the interstate for taking my hands off the steering wheel for 2 seconds, then they've got some problems.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:03 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

yeah f Uck that car... I have never heard anything that rediculous...

SCENARIO: SALESMAN TRYING TO SAVE HIS ASS -: ummm yeah thats,.... ummmm normal.... I guess we didn't prep the car....[nervious] sorry about not prepping the car [/nervious]

BS

Refuse the car, you have justifiable grounds to not want a car that is UNRELIABLE ON A TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D amn salesman...
Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Hey... I was the person who's TLS stalled after taking delivery, it did this numerous times. If yours did it already it will probably do it again like mine, but not right away. The techs took over a week to diagnose it as a bad ECU. They fixed it and never ever had a problem again, but it still should not have happened in the first place. I wouldnt take delivery of that car, thats bull**** about letting the car sit there for 4 minutes, they will make up anything to save their asses. Good luck
Old 08-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Adrenaline, mine pulls a little to the right, regardless of whether I'm putting down torque or not. If the dealer is not willing to fix this, are you meaning that it can't be fixed?

I'd really like to get rid of the pull.

BTW, newbie question...which way would this car pull if it was torque-related? I haven't noticed anything like that...just the constant slight pull.