Engine Block Bolt Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine Block Bolt Stuck

So today I decided to do a coolant change on my 2002 TL Type S... Car has in Prestone coolant but it looked old and my radiator fan was coming on too often.

Anyway I drained the radiator and that went okay... Went to the engine block bleed bolt and can't get it to even budge.... For one it looks striipped and secondly nothing I've tried from ratchets,combination wrenches to gear wrenches it won't move.. Even with WD 40. I can't get a breaker bar in there either..

I'm pissed because I got up from 8 am to do it and itts now 4 20 pm and a 1 hours job has gone the whole day and nothing.

Acura chose the dumbest place to put that $%%%^...

And sugestion on what to do.. I kinda dont wanna mix green aftermarket coolant with OEM... and I'm trying to not have air bubbles either.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Welcome to AZine, Chiller2002TL.

No need to mess with the drain bolt on the back of the engine block. Just drain the radiator, fill it up with distilled water, and repeat about 3 more times. Then remove as much water as you can, and refill with coolant.

Also, accessing the drain bolt isn't particularly difficult. You just need a long handle wrench. If your smaller bolt is stripped, you can loosen with the bigger size to remove the whole bolt.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you say remove as much water as I can. What exactly do you mean? I only as because isn't just draning the radiator 4 times gonna leave some water in the system?

Also .. Should I run my engine and heater with the distilled water?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Yea, you can. Running an engine for less than 2 mins without coolant isn't going to damage anything. It's okay if there's some distilled water left in the system.
The following users liked this post:
Chiller2002TL (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiller2002TL
So today I decided to do a coolant change on my 2002 TL Type S... Car has in Prestone coolant but it looked old and my radiator fan was coming on too often.

Anyway I drained the radiator and that went okay... Went to the engine block bleed bolt and can't get it to even budge.... For one it looks striipped and secondly nothing I've tried from ratchets,combination wrenches to gear wrenches it won't move.. Even with WD 40. I can't get a breaker bar in there either..

I'm pissed because I got up from 8 am to do it and itts now 4 20 pm and a 1 hours job has gone the whole day and nothing.

Acura chose the dumbest place to put that $%%%^...

And sugestion on what to do.. I kinda dont wanna mix green aftermarket coolant with OEM... and I'm trying to not have air bubbles either.
I ran into the same problem as you when I tried flushing my coolant last year. I tried spraying penetrating fluid as much as it could and it wouldn’t even budge so I just said screw it. Would rather leave it than break it since it probably hasn’t been touched since the engine was built 20 years ago.

Karnax is right just drain as much as you can from the rad and hoses. I used a flushing chemical and deionized water with the heat of full to flush any junk out. Then drain as much water out and keep cycling with coolant until you get as close to 50/50 mix as possible. A refractometer helps a lot.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
I encountered the same problem, when trying to remove the engine block drain bolt. I didn't find it that difficult to access, but it was very, very tight. After several attempts, including a previous day soak, with PB Blaster, it still wouldn't budge. Ended up, forgoing the block drain, and just flushed the system with distilled water, 3X, and called it a day! Never heard of a ( REFRACTOMETER ). Thanks, Darksyne. Interesting suggestion.