Ending the Denso Iridium debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Ending the Denso Iridium debate

I'm finally back in the country and have a beautiful Saturday to run a controlled experiment. I'm going out to do three 0-60 runs with the stock plugs, then switch to the Denso's, disconnect the battery, and do it again. I'll post the results tomorrow when I get in the office. Everything in my '99 TL is stock (but not for long...)
Old 06-02-2001, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks for the testing! I'm sure many of us will bennefit from the results you get. I am going to get a set myself and was curious to know what changes with the new plugs involved, speed, noise, responsiveness etc.
Old 06-02-2001, 03:12 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by java_coder:
I'm finally back in the country and have a beautiful Saturday to run a controlled experiment. I'm going out to do three 0-60 runs with the stock plugs, then switch to the Denso's, disconnect the battery, and do it again. I'll post the results tomorrow when I get in the office. Everything in my '99 TL is stock (but not for long...)
Are you going to use new stock plugs? If not, just by changing to new stock plugs will yield some HP gains especially if you have some mileage on your car.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads. Mugen front grille. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 06-02-2001, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good point but maybe he will notice significant gains taht even new stock plugs wouldn't yeild thats how good they should be
Old 06-02-2001, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If those stock plugs are over 2 years old with a bunch of miles on them, thats not much of a fair comparo; AcuraTLis right.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-02-2001, 11:15 PM
Racer

also, disconnect the battery before the stock plugs too.. just to make sure the ecu hasnt "learned" something since

------------------
-Fiddler
ControlGenie Automation Systems
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 06-03-2001, 12:43 AM
Instructor

controlled experiment means the two plugs are tested under identical condition. so both plugs have to be brand new, ecu reset prior to testing, same ambient humidity/temperature, same humidity/temperature at intake, and with the car warmed up to same temperature and same amount of time. all these variables are hard to control without lots of time and equipment.

the other major problem with java's controlled experiment is that the sample size is way too small. three runs on a single car means nothing statistically. even if he showed a significant difference it could still very well due to chance alone. i respect java's effort to conduct the experiment, but whatever the results are, dont read too much into them.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Can't wait to see the results.....denos will give a bit of help..no doubt.
Old 06-03-2001, 05:05 AM
Safety Car

Anyone have easy instructions for changing plugs? It looks like it is a major pain in the ass because of the location of the 3 rear-most plugs.
Old 06-03-2001, 06:37 AM
j83
Pro

Exclamation

nate go read the owners manual it shows how to install it
Old 06-03-2001, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
How are you gonna know about the time of your 0-60? Got G-tech Pro?
Old 06-04-2001, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

OK OK, so it wasn't all that scientific. I didn't get to read all the advice before I went out. I didn't think about the old plugs being old. After I switched them, I also realized that just reseting the computer might have given me different times. So I'll conceed that the results are anything but conclusive. I had a friend (who knew about cars) ride along side with a stopwatch. I punched the gas, he started the clock, and I told him when I hit 60. Sure there is also a lot of play in this method, but I figured that the human error was relatively constant, and I just wanted a before and after comparison. The only place I felt comfortable laying rubber over and over was an abandonded parking lot that had some loose gravel, so the traction wasn't the greatest. With the old plugs, I was getting low 9's, with one 8.9. This was with the TCS on. I tried it off once and spun more off the start. After the switch (which I thought was kind of a pain, reaching around back for the rear set - I'm not too mechanical) the runs were about a half second faster, with a few low 8's (8.1 fastest). So, with all the variables stated earlier, I'm afraid nothing was concluded here, except that I learned a bit about my car, that old plugs aren't as good as new ones, and that I need more mods to get my car under 8 secs...

oh yeah, and my dealer neglected to give me the stereo code, so I'm without tunes at the moment!
Old 06-04-2001, 10:25 AM
Drifting

low 9's? high 8's? I think something else is wrong- I'm guessing it's the loose ground. The stock times should be in the mid 7's...
I know it wasn't supposed to be a record setting 0-60 run, that is was for testing purposes... at least you learned something about your car

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Acura3200 on June 04, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-04-2001, 10:35 AM
Banned

With another person in the car, those times sound about right.