egr cleaning and check engine light & tcs light

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
egr cleaning and check engine light & tcs light

Okay yesterday i cleaned out the egr port on the intake manifold and on the engine itself. then reinstalled everything like it was said in the diy.

now all of a sudden i get the code this morning saying p0401 which is the egr, but i thought i cleaned the system through with the throttle body cleaner good?

what else could be the problem?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
please be a bit more clear-
you did the egr port cleaning per the DIY- read it all again carefully

used a few cans of TB cleaner to get all the stuff out- '
rinsed with water and dried ALL the water out- followed the DIY exactly?
then put the manifold back on with a new gasket and attached the TB assembly to the manifold with a new gasket there?
The intake manifold bolts are tightend to proper torque
All the hoses went back to the right places and the wires are all hooked up

Usually its something you missed that causes a light
You can clear the CEL light after finding something wrong by removing the CLOCK fuse- #12 or 13 iirc on passenger side, near footwell side or on edge of dash with door open (later years)
take that fuse out for a minute then reinstall- thats the master reset for the ECU computer should clear codes and start fresh- running its own diagnostic

a common problem is the top cover gasket gets put back on upside down- it looks right when set on manifold but blocks a port on cover
Must install to fit cover then flip over onto manifold

give everyting a look- it will be sonething stupid- you should see how many people hook coolant line for TB warming up to the vac port- car runs really bad on coolant~

Good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
well i just rechecked everything a few minutes ago and everything looks like it should. i used my diagnostic tool to clear the code and it went away for now but i sure know that it will pop up again.

it's not the egr valve because i have no symptoms of poor acceleration or rough idle. everything is normal except the fact i get the p0401 code.

first i would like to say. i seafoamed my car before any of this happened. i put one can in the oil pan and one can in the intake and one can in the gas tank. I then drove around and cleared everything up, there was massive amounts of white smoke and some codes came up and it was a code that said my idle was incorrect which of course would happen considering im messing with it to put the seafoam through intake. well i cleared the codes did an oil change and a day later i found that the check engine light came on and it was p0401. so i did the diy that was presented on this forum.

i saw that there was carbon in on the intake manifold so, i cleaned that port as much as possible and the egr port on the engine was clogged, but i didn't clean it to much because i was afraid that the carbon would get to the engine so i sprayed some fluid within the the egr port on the engine but not a lot.

so now i figured that its probably still clogged and i need to go in and clean the port out on the engine and that will finish the job.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but if those lights are coming on, then it sounds like you are having the same problem that I just fixed. If the check engine light and the TCS light are coming on. You might have a faulty knock sensor wire. I just finished writing a whole post about it. Type in "knock sensor wire" under search, and look for my post.