Ebay- JDM headlight housing- Any good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Arrow Ebay- JDM headlight housing- Any good??

Hi everyone

I am in need of replacement headlight housings- the old moisture inside trick, and for the time to remove front of car, try and fix a problem...- I can make it go away with new parts (hope).

Have you bought the ebay housings listed here

[
The 2 sellers of item seem to be one place- and they said it comes with Halogen lights not HID and cannot say if the wiring will work with the HIDs for our cars.
Just because it says bolt in does not mean plug in!

Looks sweet and just add correct bulbs and a yellow corner bulb- ready to go
Thats what I want to hear!
Thanks
01tl4tl
Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
i saw those a little while ago. would be nice if they fit perfect and hids worked. why dont u be a gini(i cant spell) pig
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i met someone at a meet that had them. he said they didnt fit perfectly and stuck out and that they also condensated barely after he got them. but they look good atleast =]. i think you do yours yourself.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Team Owner

Hey OP

You spot me the cash and I will test these out!
Its a lot of work to find something that says direct OE fit doesnt fit and leaks!

Condensation is the existing problem- and the company offers no warranty on the items
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Team Owner

How about it folks
Somebody has to actually own these!
The company sells front and rear lights for thousands of cars and trucks
First hand knowledge would be better than some guy you talked to .....

Tried going thru his ebay feedback but gave up looking for buyer of this exact light
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
This has been asked in the other threads about these lights. Nobody has fessed up to buying them yet.

Also where does it say it comes with a set of halogens? It says "PACKAGE COMES W/ SET OF HEADLIGHTS (LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE)" Headlights, not bulbs. They are meant as a direct OE replacement and that means your Existing HIDs will plug right in
Old 02-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm stock and hating it.

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well they look good. I would like to try them but dont wanna throw away 185bucks if they dont work right. As in condensation.. not a good fit.. etc...
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Kris

The Halogen bulb info comes from sellers direct reply to my ebay submitted question.
He states it comes with Halogen bulbs, does not know if wiring suitable for
the factory 4300k HID bulbs

I read your posting on how to access the bulbs- so now must look at wire harness and make a decision

And I did search first with no luck, so posted this fresh inquiry- no scolding required!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Drifting

i kno iv seen the 2 kits. the 1st one being only the housing and the 2nd one comes with 8000k hid kit.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Kris

The Halogen bulb info comes from sellers direct reply to my ebay submitted question.
He states it comes with Halogen bulbs, does not know if wiring suitable for
the factory 4300k HID bulbs

I read your posting on how to access the bulbs- so now must look at wire harness and make a decision

And I did search first with no luck, so posted this fresh inquiry- no scolding required!
What i dont get is What wiring? there should be no wiring with them. You would just pull out any bulbs it did come with and replace them with your existing bulbs

And i didnt scold you. If you would like me to im sure i could arrange it
Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
B A N N E D

yea it says on page that they wont work with hid wiring.blah blah blah

and one member on this forum actually said he bought his TL used and it had halogens on them and he thought they came stock and got all confused.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Indeed Kris

Please, I get scolded enough by wife! ANd those green squares are a badge of honor to me!

Thats why my questions- we have a wire harness- why does it say OE replacement and include wire harness but not the OE bulbs we have
Perhaps it just includes a harness that goes to a main connector in there.
You have had yours out- is there a main plug?
If it was an old rx car I could fix it

Back to searching their feedback one by one to find a buyer of them and get current info

Could turn out to be the slick set-up
They make lights for so many cars and have DOT approval- so I can hope!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

OK Kris
I deserve VERY MILD scolding for looking at 3 ebay ads for the same product
ONE of theads says comes with wire harness
The others say nothing
So....I made things funky time
Now we are back to these will work - are they quality?- my quest continues!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Broke college grad

Your the guy thats been answering all my questions and I just saw this thread. So did you end up buying them, because I bought from same guy.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol, werent we discussing this in the other thread?

I bought them, they'll be here Friday. LiquidFlex also had them, no problems.

I'll let you know.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Broke college grad

haha yep. I bought some too don't know when they'll be here though, but when they do I'm gonna need help with DIY.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM
10th Gear

They're not JDM. Products created for the JDM would not carry certifications from the S.A.E. and the D.O.T. To often seller's write "JDM" in the item description just to get people to buy their stuff.

All I know is parts created for the Japenesse Domestic Market would not be given to the Department of Transportation and/or the Society of American Engineers for certification since they're not intended to be used in the country. If anything they would be certified by the applicable Japenesse agency and British agencies if they where also meant to go to the UK.

They're probably made in China and hopefully of a decent quality. I would not put them on my car but that's just my preference.

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Thread Police Chief

Originally Posted by BustedLX
They're not JDM. Products created for the JDM would not carry certifications from the S.A.E. and the D.O.T.
You need to do a little more research. The TL/Saber/Inspire were built in Ohio and exported to Japan, headlights and all. Therfore they had D.O.T. and S.A.E. certifications on them already.

As to being JDM, we know. He just added that to help people understand exactly which headlights he was refering to.

Have an update for everyone!
The headlights came in today. I was suprised, they're NICE . Solid, sturdy, and clean. No abnomalities in the clear plastic and everything is exactly the same as OEM, exactly. There are a few random things missing, but they arent missing because of design. There are 2 random flaps on the OEM housings that are clipped on, not molded into the housing, which the "JDM" ones dont have. Instead they have a fine mesh covering over the hole underneath where the flap goes on the OEM ones (there is also a hole underneath that flap, but it has a cheap paper thing on the hole instead). Ballasts, clips and everything went in perfect, and the whole unit had no fitment issues at all, which says a lot since my car has been hit TWICE in the front, once on both sides. Light output seems the same as OEM, although I still haven't adjusted the aiming yet, I was too busy tonight. VERY CLEAN addition to the ride, will post pics later

If anyone wants to try these but is scared, I would say don't be. Worth the money IMO, you can always turn around and sell your OEM ones and make all the money back or even a profit; or keep them in case you want to sell the car stock later. Also good if u dont want to risk messing ur OEM's up trying to black them out.

Hope this answered some questions

-Adam
Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by adamlee05
You need to do a little more research. The TL/Saber/Inspire were built in Ohio and exported to Japan, headlights and all. Therfore they had D.O.T. and S.A.E. certifications on them already.

As to being JDM, we know. He just added that to help people understand exactly which headlights he was refering to.
I have done my research. And this is "Therfore they had D.O.T. and S.A.E. certifications on them already." is an assumption you made because the vechicle was manufactured in the US not a fact. Stanley the OE manufacture for Honda's headlights does not send the headlights intended for the JDM to those two agency for approval. It is a waste of money, Why have a car crash tested in the US if you never intend to sell it there? It's all about money.

Additionally all JDM headlights flare off to the left instead of the right like LHD headlights, I can't confirm because this I don't know for sure but I would doubt both of those agencies esspecialy the D.O.T. would have calibration equipment to mearsure and test a headlight for a road application that doesn't exsist in this country.

Honda produces several cars in this country and ships them back to Japan and other markets for sale. It's all about economics and they or their OE's aren't thowing away money on certifications for parts that are unnecessary.

I envite you to examine any real JDM headlight regardless of manufacture but specifically a 99+ Inspire headlight and try to locate either of those certifications, you'll be dissappointed.

However if you prove me wrong I'll buy you a beer Adam, no hard feelings, lol. I'm not trying to bust your balls here.

I'm glad you all know they aren't truely JDM as if they where the beam pattern would be wrong and they would not bare those certifications as those headlights carry those certifications because the manufacture sent them to those agencies for approval so they may be sold in this counrty for actual use and not "off road use only".

I'm just sick of eBay sellers writing JDM on everything they can.

Regardless, I'm glad you received them in good order and they appear to be of good quality.

Take it easy.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Broke college grad

Adam did you find a DIY on bumper removal or did you just know how to do it.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Thread Police Chief

I have done my research. And this is "Therfore they had D.O.T. and S.A.E. certifications on them already." is an assumption you made because the vechicle was manufactured in the US not a fact. Stanley the OE manufacture for Honda's headlights does not send the headlights intended for the JDM to those two agency for approval. It is a waste of money, Why have a car crash tested in the US if you never intend to sell it there? It's all about money.

Additionally all JDM headlights flare off to the left instead of the right like LHD headlights, I can't confirm because this I don't know for sure but I would doubt both of those agencies esspecialy the D.O.T. would have calibration equipment to mearsure and test a headlight for a road application that doesn't exsist in this country.

Honda produces several cars in this country and ships them back to Japan and other markets for sale. It's all about economics and they or their OE's aren't thowing away money on certifications for parts that are unnecessary.

I envite you to examine any real JDM headlight regardless of manufacture but specifically a 99+ Inspire headlight and try to locate either of those certifications, you'll be dissappointed.

However if you prove me wrong I'll buy you a beer Adam, no hard feelings, lol. I'm not trying to bust your balls here.

I'm glad you all know they aren't truely JDM as if they where the beam pattern would be wrong and they would not bare those certifications as those headlights carry those certifications because the manufacture sent them to those agencies for approval so they may be sold in this counrty for actual use and not "off road use only".

I'm just sick of eBay sellers writing JDM on everything they can.

Regardless, I'm glad you received them in good order and they appear to be of good quality.

Take it easy.
Once a product is certified, they dont "waste money" certifying each individual headlight. They aren't wasting any money, they're actually accomplishing two tasks at once, saving time and money.

Black Acura, a DIY is not needed. PM me for instructions, i'm too lazy to type right now.

And thanks, they appear to be of excellent quality, they're sexy
Old 07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
10th Gear

Once a product is certified, they dont "waste money" certifying each individual headlight. They aren't wasting any money, they're actually accomplishing two tasks at once, saving time and money.
What exactly are you referring to? The Certification of a headlight not intended to be used in this country by this country’s agency governing the certification of such products?

Having a product tested to be used in a market in which it is not intended to be used in is a waste of money, period.

Would you driver your car to California and pay to have it’s emissions systems tested and if they failed pay have them corrected to California's standards if you never intended to drive there?

If your logic is correct then all vehicles in this country would be manufactured to California’s strict emissions standards, but they're not, why? Because it's more expensive for manufactures. Instead there are two versions of every US vehicle. California emissions standards and Federal emissions standards.

The D.O.T. and the S.A.E. are not governing agencies outside of this country, why would a manufacture of ANY product pay to have their products tested and certified if they don't intend to use/sell them in this country?

Just because something is made here does not mean it carries the country’s governing agencies certification unless it is intended to be used here. Plain and simple.

My point all along has been that any JDM, EDM, etc. products would not be certified by this countries governing agency if they are not intended for sale here such as these “JDM” headlights claimed to be. If the product is a split duty item then yes it would, but headlights are exempt from this.

Japan's government standards for headlights are different then the US, vice versa, and etc. You are aware that NO headlight that is for sale for any road worthy vehicle in Japan is the same as any headlight in the US right?

I think we've gotten fair enough off topic and if you wish to continue this we can start our own thread. Unless I have completely misunderstood you in which case, I apologize I would advise that if you wish to continue this topic of conversation you do take your own advice and do more research before you continue to sound ignorant to the facts. NOW I’m busting your balls, lol.

Don't take any of this personally man, we're all here to learn from each other and share.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Just to be clear on the sellers intent of saying JDM- was to identify them as having the blacked out interior and slightly different corner light setup the US model
They used to come with a wire harness and halogen bulbs- for the japanese market

You cant sell lights in the usa without DOT stamp on them- a cop can cite you for having aircraft landing lights
or some grey market flat clear lens german retina burners-
they lack the DOT stamp

We got caught using racing slicks on a street tire class car- Officials said-
LOOK right here.. embossed right into the tire... it says- NOT DOT approved for street use!!!!
I pointed to the race track and simply shrugged- but we're not ON the street!!!

Last year I asked the light seller about the DOT because they have 3 or 4 ads with different companies as the seller- all same guy-where some ads said certified others did not, I was told "certification pending- but they had already made the molds with that on them"
Always keep a story ready - thats my motto too!!!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Thread Police Chief

Just to be clear on the sellers intent of saying JDM- was to identify them as having the blacked out interior and slightly different corner light setup the US model
Exactly what I said about "JDM" in the title, at least someone understand

The headlights are mass produced for the US market. We aren't talking about aftermarket headlights, we're taliking about OEM headlights. The entire TL is assembled in Ohio, even the 2.5L ones. The USDM headlights are exported with the car as well, they have the same lights. Honda had to get the lights certified for US market either way, so they didnt pay extra to export those same lights to Japan, HENCE, your logic is void. They just have useless certifications on them.

As for the california arguement, look at it like this.

To design a car to meet California emmisions standards cost more money becuase extra certifications are required. To design headlights which are used in the entire North American continent and then ship those to a country without special requirements doesnt cost anything extra, its actaully a short cut.

Peace
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Thread Police Chief

Here's an update:
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/life-just-not-fair-sometimes-162919/
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Exactly what I said about "JDM" in the title, at least someone understand

The headlights are mass produced for the US market. We aren't talking about aftermarket headlights, we're taliking about OEM headlights. The entire TL is assembled in Ohio, even the 2.5L ones. The USDM headlights are exported with the car as well, they have the same lights. Honda had to get the lights certified for US market either way, so they didnt pay extra to export those same lights to Japan, HENCE, your logic is void. They just have useless certifications on them.

As for the california arguement, look at it like this.

To design a car to meet California emmisions standards cost more money becuase extra certifications are required. To design headlights which are used in the entire North American continent and then ship those to a country without special requirements doesnt cost anything extra, its actaully a short cut.

Peace
Listen, USDM headlights are NOT exported with any TL, period. Right hand drive vehicles have completely different beam pattern because they flare to the opposite side of the road. If you drove a JDM vehicle with USDM headlights you would blind on coming traffic because the headlight is engineered to flare light up and out to the right to illuminate street signs in the US. In Japan, England, and etc. they would flare light into the eyes of oncoming drivers and not illuminate the street signs that would be on the left in those countries.

Another instance where you are dead wrong is your assumption that a USDM headlight could be used in other countries that maybe aren't RHD. Wrong again, Germany and most of Europe have superior headlight standards, for example all headlights used in Germany for example must have glass lenses, not plastic like the majority of headlight manufactured for use in the US as a cost cutting measure.

Don't get on here and attempt to school me on something as if I where some “” especially if you yourself don’t know the facts. Just because I'm new on this forum doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Again, educate yourself about the topic you choose to discuss so that you don't CONTINUE to make yourself sound ignorant.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Listen, USDM headlights are NOT exported with any TL, period. Right hand drive vehicles have completely different beam pattern because they flare to the opposite side of the road. If you drove a JDM vehicle with USDM headlights you would blind on coming traffic because the headlight is engineered to flare light up and out to the right to illuminate street signs in the US. In Japan, England, and etc. they would flare light into the eyes of oncoming drivers and not illuminate the street signs that would be on the left in those countries.

Another instance where you are dead wrong is your assumption that a USDM headlight could be used in other countries that maybe aren't RHD. Wrong again, Germany and most of Europe have superior headlight standards, for example all headlights used in Germany for example must have glass lenses, not plastic like the majority of headlight manufactured for use in the US as a cost cutting measure.

Don't get on here and attempt to school me on something as if I where some “” especially if you yourself don’t know the facts. Just because I'm new on this forum doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Again, educate yourself about the topic you choose to discuss so that you don't CONTINUE to make yourself sound ignorant.

all you do is adjust the beams
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Broke college grad

All this started just because somebody called them JDM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Actually the seller in the title calls them JDM and states DOT approved

All I want to know is have you guys tested them by washing the car?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Phrosttz0
all you do is adjust the beams
you can aim them down so not as not to blind people as much but the actual flare in the beam pattern is part of the reflectors design.

Most users of JDM headlights (myself included) do just that.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Thread Police Chief

^---moron
Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Broke college grad

Actually the seller in the title calls them JDM and states DOT approved

All I want to know is have you guys tested them by washing the car?
Acutually now that I think about it I don't think i've even washed my car since I put them on, been really busy but ill try to do it tomorrow see if any moisture gets in.