Easiest way to supe up a 3.2 TL??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:43 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easiest way to supe up a 3.2 TL??

I just bought a 1999 3.2 TL and needed some help in fixing it up a little bit. I have just a few questions that I'm sure many of you TL owners will know right away. 1. Are there fog lamps available that will easily fit into the factory front bumber? 2. Are there exhaust systems available that will add horsepower but not create a lawnmower or motorcycle like exhaust note?
3. Are there performance chips available that add horsepower and are easy to install for a novice?
4. Are all 3.2 TL transmissions really slow to downshift under heavy pressing of the accelerator or is it just mine? Also, do your TL transmissions make a loud "shift" when going from Park to Drive4 when you're parked on an incline?
5. Do the factory 6 disc Bose stereos play CDr's without any problem?
6. Is it possible to install an aftermarket Alpine stereo and somehow still have the use of the steering wheel controls from the factory stereo?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd be intrested to know the answer to all of these questions as well.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Poppin them thangs

1. Unsure, most likely no or other TL's would have them already
2. HKS, Greddy or Comptechs (not the ricey sound) although exhausts on the CL/TL barely give you any gains, more for show/sound
3. There is a UNICHIP for the CL-S, I dont think it works for the TL-P
4. No, if parked on incline is your e-brake on? try putting it in gear with the e-brake on before releasing the e-brake
5. Yes, they play CD-R's
6. Yes, you need an adapter (although i dont know what its called)
Old 04-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Still sluggin' it out

Welcome...

1. No OEM fog lamps for 99-01. There is a DIY to make your own though.
2. No real hp gains for exhausts...I have a Comptech Header/Exhaust set-up that sounds sweeet and gives a jump of 15-20hp but it would be worthless without the headers.
3. Check the "Unichip Groupbuy" under the Black Market forum.
4. generally speaking, yes
5. I didn't have the 6disc but I know my single disc never could play them
6. No, not unless you know an installer that REALLY, REALLY knows their $hit and could rewire the controls for the Alpine from the inside out...

Again, welcome!! Happy TLing...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Remove the Airbox resinator ASAP, and thoes damn Mudd gaurds. There is another thread on the resinator removal so I won't go into it now, but definetly a must do.
And thoes mud gaurds scuff the paint so I would reccomend getting them off asap.

Yes my car thumps going into park sometimes

Burn CDs with a higher quality CD and at slower speeds, that should work!

Just spoke to a friend yesterday who said he would have rather not put the exhaust on his TL because of the noise while driving. Don't get me wrong he has comptech headers and a good exhaust system (I think it's comptech, but I don't want to insult someone) . He told me yesterday it sounds much louder that a stock TL and for the minimal gains with exhaust he would have rather not got an exhaust. Too loud while casual driving, sounds great when you want people to hear you and it doesn't sound ricey at all, just too loud when casually driving.

The steering controls doesn't require someone to know the circuitry of your Alpine headunit... There is a harness that will connect to the steering controls and get wired to the back of your deck. The only hitch is that older decks might not have this option. There has to be an "aux volume/stereo control" wire(s). I have heard it for sale here in Canada for 30-50 bucks. I have a CD player that changes to over 100 colours and totally flips around and resesses into the dashboard!! I just don't think I will be able to use my steering controls, sooo that's what's stopping me now... I have to more research on the deck, I bought it used so I don't have the manual.

by the way welcome!! because of this site this is what happens..

:tflamer: your wallet :rocketwho
Old 04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
6th Gear

Thanks to everyone for replying so promptly.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:25 AM
6th Gear

Thanks to everyone for replying so promptly. Sounds like putting headers in would be the best way to quickly and cheaply improve horsepower? Would a K&N air filter help?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:39 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

do the resinator with a K&N filter, that'll be nice and chaep and get you a huge difference in engine sound, the car sound soooo mean with it out. It is designed to muffle the noice of the air going into the engine( also prevents proper (IMO) breathing) .

The headers can come later, but I would personally go with springs, before headers.

All depends though, do you want a nice looking car that is a sleeper, or do you want a crazy bad a$$ lookin' Acura, that can still take most cars out there stock..

Once I got the resinator removesd and got a K&N filter, I am considering not getting an Intake, the sound is already there for free, what's the point on buying an Intake that sounds almost the same.. more of a sucking noise with a intake, but sounds very similar at higher revs.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just kept it simple and straightforward with my car.
AEM CAI w/ bypass valve
Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion Exhaust, extended for the TL (exhaust was for an Accord V6 coupe)
Obx headers with Polydyn Gold Coating.
H&R Sports with Ingalls front camber kit and SPC Rear camber kit. That setup helped me gain a "few" hp and drives a lot better.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have Rotora Front and rear Slotted rotors w/ Axxis Ultimate pads for added stopping power.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro

#6 according to my installer, and a few others i've talked to, it is very hard to retain the steering wheel controls. he told me that of the adapter kits that he has installed, many do not work at all and those that do work, work unreliably. im getting used to not having them now.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Still sluggin' it out

Originally Posted by BillupsFrog
6. Is it possible to install an aftermarket Alpine stereo and somehow still have the use of the steering wheel controls from the factory stereo?
Who cares about having the steering controls anyway? One of the things I like about our car is that the radio controls are very accessible without having to fumble for them. Plus, having a screen outweighs steering controls anyday of the week
Old 04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
i

removing the intake resonator and adding a k&n filter is a nice way to get the awesome sound until u can get a CAI...the CAI would replace the resonator part neway, but a CAI adds power unlike just removing the resonator

i might remove my intake resonator with my friend this weekend...if so, ill tell u how it sounds