DVD vs. CD Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD vs. CD Nav

Dudes,

I've read posts here saying that this car has a cd- based nav. system and that car has a dvd-based nav. system. Is one system better than the other? What are the major differences?

Yeah...I'm tech savvy.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD vs. CD Nav

Originally posted by coffeefingers
Dudes,

I've read posts here saying that this car has a cd- based nav. system and that car has a dvd-based nav. system. Is one system better than the other? What are the major differences?

Yeah...I'm tech savvy.
The only real difference is the amount of data each can hold. CDs are limited to 640M, where as DVDs are currently at 4.7G for one-sided media (and 8.5G for dual-sided). Because of data space limitations, CD-based navigation systems are usually limited to a specific geographic area (like New England). You get a CD for New England that has all the maps on it. Want to go to Florida? You gotta get the Southeast CD (usually at additional cost). And if you're driving from New England to Florida, you've gotta stop at least once along the way to change CDs for the new area. With Acura's DVD system, the entire continental US is on one disc. Plus, with all that room there are many Points Of Interest that you can get maps to. DVD transfer rates are also faster than CD so there is (in theory) less lag for data retrieval.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Acura does NOT offer a CD-based NAV system

they offered a Hard Drive based system for 1 year (1999). They then switched directly to DVD-based.

DVD-based kicks a$$!
Old 12-07-2001, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This & That

Dude,

Hey, thanks for the great explanation about the difference between the two systems.

Yeah, I know the TLs have a DVD-based nav. system. I guess my initial post saying "this" car having a cd-based nav. system was a bit misleading. "This" car wasn't meant to mean the TL. It was meant to be a car in general with a cd-based nav. system. My bad. :p
Old 12-07-2001, 01:42 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Acura3200

DVD-based kicks a$$!
I agree! Thanks Jason.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Updated discs?

Are there any updates of DVD maps and what not for the TL Navi?

If so, does anyone know how much it costs for updated software?
Old 12-07-2001, 09:59 PM
Banned

Re: Updated discs?

Originally posted by kevs
Are there any updates of DVD maps and what not for the TL Navi?

If so, does anyone know how much it costs for updated software?
Acura offers an update approximately once a year, usually in the fall. The latest version available is 2.05, and discs cost $150. If you have version 2.03 or 2.04, you probably won't see any major updates that justify the expense. If you have a version older than 2.03, then it's probably worth it. You can order them online (and see the updated coverage areas--which are minimal) at www.acura.com.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:17 AM
Racer

Re: Re: DVD vs. CD Nav

Originally posted by pianoman41

The only real difference is the amount of data each can hold. CDs are limited to 640M, where as DVDs are currently at 4.7G for one-sided media (and 8.5G for dual-sided). Because of data space limitations, CD-based navigation systems are usually limited to a specific geographic area (like New England). You get a CD for New England that has all the maps on it. Want to go to Florida? You gotta get the Southeast CD (usually at additional cost). And if you're driving from New England to Florida, you've gotta stop at least once along the way to change CDs for the new area. With Acura's DVD system, the entire continental US is on one disc. Plus, with all that room there are many Points Of Interest that you can get maps to. DVD transfer rates are also faster than CD so there is (in theory) less lag for data retrieval.
That's for single CD based Navi. My friend's 2001 BMW is using CD based Navi but with multiple CDs which covers entire US. It works like a CD changer. But still.... it has more lag 'cuz you have to wait for those CD swap. Kind of sucks!!

DVD based Navi is much better. Acura made a smart choice by using DVD based Navi.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by BlackShadow

I agree! Thanks Jason.
no problem
Old 12-08-2001, 02:02 AM
Drifting

I've used the Alpine CD Navi and the Acura (also Alpine) OEM DVD Navi, and one difference that you notice is how fast everything is on the DVD version compared to the CD.

Now, it's not all because of the faster data transfer rate of the DVD drive; but CD-based systems tend to be based on technology about 5 years old (before DVDs were cheaply available). DVD systems tend to use more recent technology and tend to be quicker on the draw.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:56 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by daverman
I've used the Alpine CD Navi and the Acura (also Alpine) OEM DVD Navi, and one difference that you notice is how fast everything is on the DVD version compared to the CD.

Now, it's not all because of the faster data transfer rate of the DVD drive; but CD-based systems tend to be based on technology about 5 years old (before DVDs were cheaply available). DVD systems tend to use more recent technology and tend to be quicker on the draw.
I also agree. I have a 99 TL that came with the hard drive (not CD) but I switched to the DVD nav. It is definitely way faster than the hard drive version and it contains a lot more POI's.

In other words, everything is faster and better.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:29 PM
Racer

Acura does NOT offer a CD-based NAV system

they offered a Hard Drive based system for 1 year (1999). They then switched directly to DVD-based.
Wrong...you're thinking of Lexus which offered a hard drive-based system prior to 2001. Acura's pre-2000 nav was CD-based in both the TL and the RL.

What's amazing to me is that the Europeans still haven't figured out that regional/CD-based nav systems are incredibly inferior!
Old 12-08-2001, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SCWells72

Wrong...you're thinking of Lexus which offered a hard drive-based system prior to 2001. Acura's pre-2000 nav was CD-based in both the TL and the RL.
Better check your facts. The 1999 TLs had the HD navi option. There are several people on this list that have the HD navi. Several even looked into the feasibility of upgrading the HD unit to a DVD unit.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:13 PM
Racer

The 1999 TLs had the HD navi option
Wow...I'm a big enough man to concede a point! It didn't take much research to figure out that you're right. Sorry 'bout that...

My assertion was based on the fact that when I was originally shopping for a TL, the reason I waited four or so months for the 2000 over the 1999 was because everything I read and what the dealer told me led me to believe that the pre-2000 TL's nav system was CD-based/regional like BMW's/MB's. Maybe they all just said the nav was regional and I assumed CD-based...

Anyway...again, sorry 'bout that...
Old 12-08-2001, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SCWells72
Anyway...again, sorry 'bout that...
Heheheh, I've stuck my foot in my mouth a couple of times here myself. But that's what these forums are here for--to learn from each other.

Old 03-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

I have a 99 nav TL which is HD based, and covers only the region of the country that you are in. I am in Texas.

Can any of you help me get the upgraded version of the software? I noticed that I could take the drive out and put it into the PCMCIA slot of my laptop to access the files.

Or if someone can tell me how to upgrade to the DVD version that would be great.

Thanks
jschaffer@usa.net
Old 03-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pianoman41

Better check your facts. The 1999 TLs had the HD navi option. There are several people on this list that have the HD navi. Several even looked into the feasibility of upgrading the HD unit to a DVD unit.
'96-'99 RLs also used the HDD system.