Driving/Performance/TL/LEGEND/NewPerson

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 03:51 PM

Question Driving/Performance/TL/LEGEND/NewPerson

Hello. I'm a newbie here, and I'm just picking up my 99 TL with Nav tonight here in Minnesota.

I previously had a 91 Acura Legend Coupe and was on all the Acura Legend boards and list. I see some of my peoples from those lists are here and it's nice to see them again. Either they really likes lists or they bought a TL like myself.

I noticed the post about people stealing headlights from the TL's and Bimmers. Thats really bad, but there are hood pins and alarms for that sort of stuff. In my Legend, I had a Clifford AvantGard III that worked wonders in that area. If you think thats bad though, try getting your greddy catback exhaust system stolen from underneath! We need force fields these days.

Anyways, I've really been into this site all day today and have read alot of you guys posts and messages, and looked at all your cars. I have been very enlightened, but the thing that I'm most looking for that I found missing was driving and performance. Is this car not that? I don' t know, I'm asking. I don't own a TL until about 6-7:00 PM tonite. I mean on the LEGEND list it was all about performance and upgades then looks, but it seems to be the other way around here. Any input here would be great.

Also, I haven't found anybody to post anything about the sport-shift system. Tiptronic? Steptronic? E-shift? Same thing? Not? How does it work? I know how it works, but how can I get the best use out of it. Any pointers?

I'm also pretty interested in the DVD hookup thing also, that was pretty cool I thought.

I've driven the RL and TL and I still don't think that Acura has a proven replacement for the LEGEND, but I do have to say the TL is a great little car and will serve me for about a year until I get that Benz!

Blast away!
Old 03-29-2001, 04:11 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never had the pleasure of driving a Legend, although from what I have head it was an excellent car. I am very impressed with the TL, however, and I am sure that over time you will be too. This car grows on me every day, and I have never been so enthusiastic about a car before. What questions do you have about the sportshift? It is really easy to use and is basically error-free. To really learn it, you just have to drive with it and see what works for you. Welcome to the board!
Old 03-29-2001, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Force fields are a great idea!

There are limited performance mods available for our cars. You can do i/h/e for the engine and get springs, sways, rims, and rubber for the handling. You can run nitrous. Thats about it.

I really recommend the springs and sways for handling, it improves the TL tremendously. i/h/e will take away from the luxury aspect a little but is also worth it IMO. I'm straight on the NOS.

Someday there will be a supercharger made by Comptech... and we are waiting on word for cams...
Old 03-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 3Khan:
I mean on the LEGEND list it was all about performance and upgades then looks, but it seems to be the other way around here.
Isn't there more available for the TL than there is for the Legend?? My friend has a 92 Legend Coupe and there's very little you can do with that car from what I heard. He did intake, exhaust & brake upgrades. (Unless you have a TON of money to spend on it)

------------------
Jason
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank>

</A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Comptech Headers & Exhaust
Comptech Springs & Sways
Comptech Air Filter
Factory Spoiler & CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
35% Tint, Tinted Rear Plate Cover
Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging From Trunk
Removed Front Plate Holder
Old 03-29-2001, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

Hey Kahn, welcome to the board! I too used to own a 91 Legend. I must say that the Legend was a great car and still is. I sold my Legend to a neighbor and I still see it all the time. Miss my Baby! Oh well enjoy your TL!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-disc cd-changer

In da works...
Video in my Navi Kit. & Playstation 2(Almost Done)
New Paint Job(Should be done this weekend)
JL Audio 12w6 Sub. & Audiobahn A1800E Amp.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Check out the TL-S before you buy a TL... You might find what performance you desired in it.... It's supposed to have a more aggresive ride than the CL-S.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

My dad owns a 91 Legend sedan (the first year that they offered the new body style) that I've driven a number of times. I agree that that was a fine car. I think it is better in overall quality than our current TLs. As far as I can tell about performance though, the TL seems to have better power and responsiveness than the Legend. The Legend felt and drove like a heavier car. My two cents.

------------------
'01 TL with Navi
Naples Gold Metallic
Wings West custom 2-leg spoiler wing
Solar Gard Titanium Tint 43 all around.
Acura logo tire valve stem caps.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:05 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Acura3200:
Isn't there more available for the TL than there is for the Legend?? My friend has a 92 Legend Coupe and there's very little you can do with that car from what I heard. He did intake, exhaust & brake upgrades. (Unless you have a TON of money to spend on it)
You are right. There are much more parts for the 99+ TL. That is why we Legend owners keep talking about perforamnce so much on the legend forums Many of us would kill for some headers.
Old 03-30-2001, 09:13 AM

Thumbs up

Well I picked up my TL and it's hot. I'm really starting to get into the groove of driving that stick and it really is responsive. Much much lighter than my LEGEND and I'm not sure, but I belive more torque.

True that TL has a bunch of stuff out but I don't know that I agree that it has more performance parts out than the LEGEND. True we can't get headers though. sad. I among other came very close to just finding a process to fabricate headers, everything always fell through.

So, I'm driving to a place that my nav is homing in on, and I have a cd in the player. What would have been really cool for the entire nav/stereo integration is for the music to not only be temporarily turned off when "Natalie" comes on to tell me where to turn, but also to just pause the cd and continue playing where it left off.

I also think that the bose system is good, but the entire back speaker cover shakes and sorta rattles when I listen to some boom boom music. Maybe I can tighten it down or something.

What are the limitations of my Nav system? I live in Minnesota but lets say I want to take a drive to Toronto or New York, or even Chicago, how could I? Would I have to buy a new hardrive? Anybody have any tech specs on this drive and what it can or cannot do?
Old 03-31-2001, 11:09 PM
Ain't No Other...

Originally posted by 3Khan:
Well I picked up my TL and it's hot. I'm really starting to get into the groove of driving that stick and it really is responsive. Much much lighter than my LEGEND and I'm not sure, but I belive more torque.

True that TL has a bunch of stuff out but I don't know that I agree that it has more performance parts out than the LEGEND. True we can't get headers though. sad. I among other came very close to just finding a process to fabricate headers, everything always fell through.

So, I'm driving to a place that my nav is homing in on, and I have a cd in the player. What would have been really cool for the entire nav/stereo integration is for the music to not only be temporarily turned off when "Natalie" comes on to tell me where to turn, but also to just pause the cd and continue playing where it left off.

I also think that the bose system is good, but the entire back speaker cover shakes and sorta rattles when I listen to some boom boom music. Maybe I can tighten it down or something.

What are the limitations of my Nav system? I live in Minnesota but lets say I want to take a drive to Toronto or New York, or even Chicago, how could I? Would I have to buy a new hardrive? Anybody have any tech specs on this drive and what it can or cannot do?
You mean that STICK-LIKE thingy, not actually a stick...I believe really suburban towns and villages might not have been mapped, plus anywhere in canada, the nav is not available...

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL, 17x7.5 ATP wheels with Pirelli 215/50/17 P7000SS, H&R OE springs, OEM spoiler, K&N filter, Tint all Around. Inspire Foglight Switch, PIAA 1700X fogs, Polarg M-12 corners.