driver side window leaking wind

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy driver side window leaking wind

My driver side window is leaking quite a bit of wind. Over the past few months the noise has increased from very slight to quite a bit.... has anyone else had this problem? Is it a known problem...its quite irritating!
Old 10-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Instructor

no problems here.

im guessin here...window regulator? [window not going up all the way ] or seal is leaking. either way im sure its covered. unfortunately that requires a trip to the stealer. can you believe they told that other guy (sorry bro dont remember your name) that his wheels were bent and he needed new ones when all they needed was a balance! unbelievable.

GL

len
Old 10-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Racer

Your Passat

Originally posted by Type SSSS
len [/B]
Just wondering how your 00 Passat is holding up. It was one of the cars I was looking at before I decided on the TL. I liked the 4Motion set up because I do alot of Snow Skiing. My problem was reading all the posts on www.*****aboutit.com about the window and brake problems. Just curious, and didn't mean to impose on the original post.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:01 PM
Instructor

check your messages
how you like the konigs?
Old 10-02-2001, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I still have driver's side wind noise, even after the dealer adjusted the striker. Not a totally big deal, but considering how some people say that their cabin is more or less as quiet as a library, I'm gonna have the dealer check it out again when I take my car in for an oil change.

Tony
Old 10-02-2001, 05:10 PM
Instructor

can you actually feel the wind inside the car? there is going to be some wind noise, that is unavoidable for a 32K car. im sure you know that. mine is very quiet under 65 but windnoise gradually increases with the mph obviously. compared to my 92 accord it IS like a library... Sounds like Javagods was not sealing properly.

GL

len
Old 10-02-2001, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

can you actually feel the wind inside the car? there is going to be some wind noise, that is unavoidable for a 32K car.

Sounds like Javagods was not sealing properly.
Its definately a leak because I hear this intermittent hissing... it is not a continuous sound...

the car is very quiet except for this so I think the window seal is leaking somewhere...
Old 10-02-2001, 07:41 PM
Instructor

someone here or in the vw forum suggested a spraybottle with some soapy water and a hairdryer to see exactly where the leak is. good idea.

gl

len
Old 10-02-2001, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

can you actually feel the wind inside the car? there is going to be some wind noise, that is unavoidable for a 32K car. im sure you know that. mine is very quiet under 65 but windnoise gradually increases with the mph obviously. compared to my 92 accord it IS like a library... Sounds like Javagods was not sealing properly.

GL

len
Maybe so, but if the salesperson is touting the feature of how you can't hear any wind noise inside the cabinet, I would imagine that there better not be any wind noise. Sure, salespeople will lie, cheat and steal (okay, maybe not cheat) to get your business but heck, when the Acura customer satisfaction lady calls you to do the survey and agrees with you when you complain about the wind noise, that in itself should tell you something...

Tony
Old 10-03-2001, 05:35 PM
Instructor

im not exactly sure what a survey person agreeing with you is supposed to tell me tdoh. Salespeople will do/say just about anything to sell a car. im also willing to bet the survey person hasn't even been in a TLS let alone own one. they're just doing their job and its not to disagree with you.

besides i was only trying to help diagnose the problem as being either an unfortunate side effect of the car he chose to buy or whether it was in fact a defect.

i've always found it odd that one of the TLS "features" were the "redesigned" mirrors to reduce windnoise. on my testdrive it was a lot noiser than i expected and still is. my comparison to a 92 accord was only to compliment my previous question as to whether there was wind in the cabin or if it was just unavoidable noise.

len
Old 10-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Type SSSS: I guess it all comes down to this--at what speed would it be an acceptable fact that there will be some wind noise (this is what I was trying to get across)? On the one hand we have people who say that their cabin is practically devoid of wind noise at normal freeway speeds while others hear some noise at speed; in javagod's case, his is more of a "leak"--an entirely different matter, as "leak" implies that some wind is entering the cabin as opposed to just blowing by.

Okay, so the survey person probably doesn't know sh*t from shinola, but surely if most people in this forum say that they can hardly hear any wind noise inside their cars while travelling at freeway speeds, then it should be an accepted view that hearing any wind noise at normal speeds (like 65 in your case) is unacceptable and should be remedied. FWIW--I'm getting wind noise--not leakage--at speeds as low as 50 mph, so you can imagine how relatively louder the wind noise will be at 65. Based on consensus in this group, there really shouldn't be any wind noise at those speeds either...or was it just the luck of the draw that some people got quieter TL-Ss while others like myself got noisy ones?

Tony
Old 10-03-2001, 07:01 PM
Instructor

no i have to say that mine is VERY noisy [wind noise] compared to what i was expecting. again i used the comparison only to show exactly what you said in your last post.

its all relative. at least we know that our TLS' are NOT without windnoise. to me it sounds like it comes right off their redesigned mirrors...

i have to wonder how loud its going to be with 18's. in fact im kind of nervous about it. i think we're on the same page here and i hope his leak gets fixed quickly.