Does downshifting waste more gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I guess we should just shut down the whole AcuraZine site and open a new one where instead of any one posting or discussing anything, we all just wait like blind baby chicks with our mouths open for you to come back from your hard day of single handedly keeping the universe from imploding to barf the nectar of life down our throats.

I don't disagree that you know a thing or two, but do you have to be such a prick about it?

If your ego gets any bigger, it's going to start fucking up the tides.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I deal in facts- not supposition or guessing, unless i add IMO to it- in which case its an opinion of my own.

As for the original question posed here-
donwshifting NOT ONLY waste gas, its needless wear on a known weak part of the car.
BRAKES mission in life is to slow and even stop the car~
The transmissions role is the be in the right rpm and torque to accellerate off the corners.

If there were no SS mode on the TL, would you downshift an automatic normally??
have you ever in your life been told by a proessional driver to do that to save gas? NO
Go to N and coast to lights- if every mil of gas counts in your budget-
on your way to sell the TL and get an econobox!!!

If everyone would invest 250$ in their self by attending a race trackday- trackday driver school- the world would be a better safer more educated place- and thats fact not opinion
You learn that despite years of playing grand theft auto- real cars and real life are far different.
Very skilled drivers come away from class shaking their heads saying- I didnt know squat about real driving skills- how did even survive on the roads this long?!!
thats my 2 cents on does downshifting save gas- the answer is a resolute NO it does not
Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

How did you know I have daily chores regarding Saving The Universe?
In fact- thats what I am off to do now, (donning superhero flying outfit!)

In the time it took you to bitch at me, you could have read the transmission operation section of the book
Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

p.s. My superhero Universe Saving shirt says

You can AGREE with me
OR
You can be WRONG!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

luke its funny that you seem to think I want to dispense all knowledge, when its just the opposite- I do share personal parts replacement experience whenever possible, have done a lot to my TL now.
What I am ALWAYS saying is- Dont wait to be spoon fed information,,,, when the internet puts it all right in front of you
In the time it takes to post a question- you can search azine or the internet and find the answer
Or maybe its even in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
dare I say it-------------
The BOOK
Old 04-19-2008, 12:52 PM
W00t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes i am uber bored at work, 4 more hrs to go!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with Luke, 01tl4tl should refrain from putting me and other people down,. I dont explain things I dont understand as you said earlier. I do it on facts.

You claimed to get your knowledge reading the manuals. But I gained my knowledge experience by actually working on my car. I had an old CRX with manual tranny which I used to do most of the work by myself like changing clutch, and even replaced my engine and I didn't users manual like you do, I read Helms. If users manual was 3rd grade txtbook then Helms is like a university level txtbook. Too bad I couldn't do any work on my TL as I have no longer owns a private garage.

Luke I totally agree with your statements, fuel consumption and rev speed is not linear.
It is evident from following spec, like most cars'
MPG at 60mph - 22mpg
MPG at 90mph - 19mpg.

But I just assumed linear to make my explanations clearer.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Intresting thread. I have doubt about it as well.Can any one answer which one use more fuel " D4 @ 2000rpm or D3 @ 2000 rpm? I mean both conditions are not pedal at the gas. So, when you down to hill and speed limit 35mph area D4 with the braking or shift to D3 swiftly and coasting at 35 without press brake, I wonder which one save more gas?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:40 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
rob2
you have made it very clear that you have no actual auto tech credentials and mostly have bad advice to offer
Why dont you go read how the system of the ECU_ EFI _FCU ~instant read~ works- is it vac operated or is there an actual fuel computer that moniters how much fuel is going thru the injectors???- how much fuel is being recirced to the gas tank??...
there are different ways things work, and instant is one of the least reliable guages known to mankind in general IMO
when you know something for sure fact- share it- bad info keep to yourself
you have made it very clear that you need to shut it now...cuz you are full of complete and total shit, no 2 ways about it.

rob2 was the only one who knew wtf he was talking about you genious.

think about it, if you have the mental capacity, when you downshift that raises the revs...why? beause the transmission spins the engine up, with no throttle applied the injectors completely cut off fuel supply since the engine is alreay spinning.

this can be best tried on a manual...if you know how to drive one go and run 60mph in 3rd gear..turn off your ignition and take out the key, without pushing in the clutch...the wheels would still be spinning the engine at about 4000 rpm...with absolutely no fuel, 0.

if you let your engine idle down a hill then you would waste gas because the engine would be idling by itself without anything spinning it....this is simple mechanics and physics i hope you understand....that's why they teach these things in high school but i that's been a long time for you so mabe you forgot some simple and logical laws of physics so you decide to call other poeple idiots...your statement is completely true thouh, if you don't know anything then keep your mouth shut..

anyways, there is good advice on this thread too...use your brakes to slow down...it's much cheaper than a transmission, or in a manual, a clutch.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by winhansse
Intresting thread. I have doubt about it as well.Can any one answer which one use more fuel " D4 @ 2000rpm or D3 @ 2000 rpm? I mean both conditions are not pedal at the gas. So, when you down to hill and speed limit 35mph area D4 with the braking or shift to D3 swiftly and coasting at 35 without press brake, I wonder which one save more gas?
i say theoretically same amount of gas but with D3 u re travelling slower and shorter distance. So after travelling from A to B, you would have spent more gas with D3.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL2498
RPM has very little effect on gas mileage. Throttle angle and load is what will affect MPG the most.

Example:

Cruising in 4th gear @ 3000RPM vs. Climbing a hill in 5th gear @ 2000RPM.

The throttle tip-in and engine load are greater in the 5th gear example, thus requiring more fuel to maintain the RPMs. Whereas, in the 4th gear example given that there is very little load on the engine less tip-in and therefore less fuel are required to maintain engine RPMs.

I'm not saying that RPM has zero affect on MPG, only that there are other factors that play a much larger role.
Interesting, but doesn't opening throttle more causes the engine to rev more? If you press on gas throttle tip in more and revs higher is n't?

May be under load engine may run rich (more fuel less air).
Old 04-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by guyenacurazine
i say theoretically same amount of gas but with D3 u re travelling slower and shorter distance. So after travelling from A to B, you would have spent more gas with D3.
Really. I heard was D3 @ 2000 rpm inject less fuel than D4 @2000rpm. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by winhansse
Really. I heard was D3 @ 2000 rpm inject less fuel than D4 @2000rpm. Thanks anyway.
I am not sure but chances are I would not believe that. On level road I would put on highest gear as possible to reduce my gas consumption.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Not just another newbie!

Originally Posted by guyenacurazine
Interesting, but doesn't opening throttle more causes the engine to rev more? If you press on gas throttle tip in more and revs higher is n't?

May be under load engine may run rich (more fuel less air).
Not necessarily, gearing plays a huge role. Point is, RPM is a byproduct of throttle position and load.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Not just another newbie!

2498- read the owner manual -
No thanks, I'm ok. You have heard of an EXAMPLE before, right?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
3.2 VTEC

wow, some of you guys are so lost on this..lol.

simple shit, the higher the revs the more fuel consumption if you're cruising at those high revs...but it's determined by how much throttle you give the car, 3000rpm at wot on a very steep hill and 3000rpm cruising on the highway is not the same, think about it in the most simple way, the more work the engine has to do the more fuel it will consume...forget the rpms...because you could be cruising in 1st at 30mph at 5000rpm and the engine would be doing almost nothing...you'll still waste more gas at 5k than 2k, but that's simply because you change the air/fuel mixture a lot more often....but when the engine is just revving and not putting any power down, very little fuel is given to it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Racer

I certainly can see both sides of this. I do agree too many people (and yes probably most of them are under 40) want everything spoon fed to them.

However I do also see some of those with vast more knowledge being really nasty here too. If you feel the original poster did not do his or her "required" homework then just simply do not answer. There are times when people DO read stuff but, simply do NOT understand or grasp the ideas. Reading is all fine and dandy but, just because someone reads something doesn't mean they understand it. If you feel the OP just wants it spoonfed and you don't want to do that then don't. Maybe someone else will. Maybe that someone else will give them the right info. Maybe not. Who cares? These forums are about helping each other. However you are not forced to answer any posts or help everyone.

Your desire and expectation that OTHERS should do ALL your work and research- you being a generic term--- shows YOUR age and the generation of Give it to me- for no effort in life
Thats not real life!!! If it were not for people like fsttyms and me who know wtf we are talking about- you guys wouild be in deep stuff!!!!
Maybe its YOU who needs a week off and spend an HOUR reading the book cover to cover -its even online for ease of referance and page flipping.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

Use the brakes to slow down-that is their the whole purpose in life!!

the transmission is very expensive to replace- perhaps you have heard
of the gen2 failure problem??
Brakes are easy to replace and have a relative low cost for what they do--
keep the car the same OE length as it left the house each day~
ask my wife

didn't read much after this post, well because this is the answer. No sense beating a dead horse.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
fuel injectors give slight pulses of fuel on decel instead of complete cutoff. As far as know, it pulses until around 800-900 rpm, then it kicks-into full injection mode to maintain idle, even in gear. Depending on the ecu maping for the trans it either runs at normal idle operation or cycles down to a few pulses. (and that has to do with if the trans is designed to unlock the tq converter or keep it locked for engine braking. If its unlocked there is no direct connection between the wheels and the motor to help keep it spinning, like in a manual trans there there is always a connection between the motor and wheels unless the clutch is pushed in) Also think about this, how much gas do you really think your saving even if the motor is going down to a minimal duty cycle or off as opposed to idle? I can let my car idle for a full 8 hrs and use about 1/8 tank of gas with no AC on (yes i have done it).

Simply put o1tl4tl is right and gives the best advise for our trans.

Use the brakes to slow down-that is their the whole purpose in life!!

the transmission is very expensive to replace- perhaps you have heard
of the gen2 failure problem??
Brakes are easy to replace and have a relative low cost for what they do--
keep the car the same OE length as it left the house each day~
ask my wife
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
3.2 VTEC

If it were not for people like fsttyms and me who know wtf we are talking about- you guys wouild be in deep stuff!!!!
if there were less people like you, the world wudn't be so full of idiots...go read your books and memorize them, still don't mean you understand anything as you have clearly stated that you do not.

what pisses me off the most is when people like you think they know it all...and yet are completely wrong....just use some common sence and figure things out for yourself, not just read books and misunderstand them completely.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
fuel injectors give slight pulses of fuel on decel instead of complete cutoff. As far as know, it pulses until around 800-900 rpm, then it kicks-into full injection mode to maintain idle, even in gear. Depending on the ecu maping for the trans it either runs at normal idle operation or cycles down to a few pulses. (and that has to do with if the trans is designed to unlock the tq converter or keep it locked for engine braking. If its unlocked there is no direct connection between the wheels and the motor to help keep it spinning, like in a manual trans there there is always a connection between the motor and wheels unless the clutch is pushed in) Also think about this, how much gas do you really think your saving even if the motor is going down to a minimal duty cycle or off as opposed to idle? I can let my car idle for a full 8 hrs and use about 1/8 tank of gas with no AC on (yes i have done it).

Simply put o1tl4tl is right and gives the best advise for our trans.
nice to see that you as a mod know what you are talking about

o1tl4tl is right in his 1st post...to simply forget downshifting.

but when it came to the actual question of "does downshifting waste more gas", he got it very wrong there, and not only that but he insulted people that were right because he was so ignorant he didn't see he was the bad apple there....which caused me to spark.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
And on that note, name calling, bashing, talking down to others, what ever you want to call it wont be tolerated any more.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'