Do I have a lemon law case here???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003 | 11:22 AM
2nd Gear

Do I have a lemon law case here???

Ok, here is the deal. My '03 TL-S (leased in 10/02 and ~22,500 miles) has been to the dealer several times in the last 6 months for various reasons including warped rotors (3 times), broken power window motor, broken side mirror motor. And now my A/C won't work. Well, do I have a case for lemon law? Its really pissing me off that I have to keep making dealer trips (especially for a Honda, supposedly a reliable car...). What do you think I should do next? Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, because this car is a lease, I am wondering what other options I have if it isn't a lemon law case. Can I end the lease early without a penalty, etc.?
Old 12-17-2003 | 11:54 AM
Pro

i doubt it because there are people who have had that amount of trouble and more with the tranny's.
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:14 PM
still a Masshole

Yeah, I'm not sure if you have a lemon law case but you might want to look into it.
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:26 PM
Racer

Lemon laws differ from state to state. Generally, they stipulate that you have multiple repeats of the same problem that the dealer fails or refuses to correct. I am getting ready to file a lemon law claim on my car, which has been to the dealership countless times for the transmission problems, is on it's second transmission and is still not right. These cars are awful.

Check the board for the '04 TLs. Sounds like they are having problems and getting more denials from Acura, too.

Great stuff. Should have bought another Lexus.

ME
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

i might talk to the dealer about possibly terminating your lease early infavor of a new lease on a different car due to all the problems you have been having
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:35 PM
WhizzBomb

Tricky with the dealer

When I got a Mustang (I know, I know) it had all sort of problems. I was going to go lemon but it didn't quality in my state. I tried to punk the dealer with something like, "my lawyer says you can just give a new car or we can strech this out with a lemon law."

The managers exact words, "It's on my books as a sold car. Whatever happens now is between you and corporate. Thanks for stopping by."

Have you destroyed a Ford lately?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by MikeElmendorf
Lemon laws differ from state to state. Generally, they stipulate that you have multiple repeats of the same problem that the dealer fails or refuses to correct. I am getting ready to file a lemon law claim on my car, which has been to the dealership countless times for the transmission problems, is on it's second transmission and is still not right. These cars are awful.

Check the board for the '04 TLs. Sounds like they are having problems and getting more denials from Acura, too.

ME
Well, all I really want right now is to terminate the lease. Is that too much to ask for? In all honesty, I don't think this was the right car for me anyways.

So what do you guys think is the next step? Should I talk to a lawyer about a lemon law case or should I talk to the dealer to discuss ending the lease early?
Old 12-17-2003 | 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Tricky with the dealer

Originally posted by Whizzbomb
The managers exact words, "It's on my books as a sold car. Whatever happens now is between you and corporate. Thanks for stopping by."
Now THAT is rude. So what happened to the 'stang?
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:47 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by MikeElmendorf

ME

Sucks that your car sucks. With your luck, it seems that even a Lexus would have as many problems as your TL. Sorry to hear.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

CA lemon law

CA Lemon Law

It basically states it has to be the SAME problem repeating.
Old 12-17-2003 | 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ct9a
Well, all I really want right now is to terminate the lease. Is that too much to ask for? In all honesty, I don't think this was the right car for me anyways.

So what do you guys think is the next step? Should I talk to a lawyer about a lemon law case or should I talk to the dealer to discuss ending the lease early?
i would ask for the manager and sit down with him (probably wouldnt hurt to have a coppy of all the times you brought the car in for service) and talk about your options on a early termination.
Old 12-17-2003 | 03:57 PM
WhizzBomb

Re: Re: Tricky with the dealer

Originally posted by neuronbob
Now THAT is rude. So what happened to the 'stang?
After a tree fell on it (yes, really) I sold in. In the 800 miles I had it there was a fused PVC valve in the engine, a roof leak repaired twice (on a hardtop?!?!?!?), it would slip out of third. It also had the interior sophistication of a 1982 Kia.

It was fun as hell to drive though (03 GT)!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-17-2003 | 04:01 PM
Racer

It depends on the defect and repairs - if the defect causes the vehicle to be unsafe then guidelines are 1-2 times to repair - for any repair in the first 18 months or 180000 miles (what ever comes first) any 4 consecutive repairs - BUT..these are all guidelines and not absolute rule. I would go for a consoltation with a lawyer (the three times on the rotors is bad)..basically if you win you get the cost of the car back minus use for the time so you would probably walk away with no money and your lease gone..but you will have a lawyer bill...see if you can get a free consoltation and the laywer should let you know if you have a case.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:00 PM
Having Fun?

I've been down the path, I don't think you have a case. I almost didn't and I went through 3 trannies
Old 12-17-2003 | 09:58 PM
Racer

Folks, first off, a dealer can't terminate your lease. They have nothing to do with your lease. It's through Honda Finance or whoever if it was a third party. That's up to them. They haven't offered to do so in my case, and frankly, I like my luck with the lemon law. I can file in NY and NH, and in NH if I prevail, I basically get all my money back. With a lease termination, I walk away. Better than keeping this horrid car, but even better to get a refund for my troubles.

The dealer can help in terms of trying to escalate things with Acura or advocate on your behalf to keep you as a customer. But the lease is a contract between you and the finance corp.
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:32 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Re: Do I have a lemon law case here???

Ok, here is the deal. My '03 TL-S (leased in 10/02 and ~22,500 miles) has been to the dealer several times in the last 6 months for various reasons including warped rotors (3 times), broken power window motor, broken side mirror motor. And now my A/C won't work. Well, do I have a case for lemon law? Its really pissing me off that I have to keep making dealer trips (especially for a Honda, supposedly a reliable car...). What do you think I should do next? Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, because this car is a lease, I am wondering what other options I have if it isn't a lemon law case. Can I end the lease early without a penalty, etc.?
Old 12-18-2003 | 08:35 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Re: Do I have a lemon law case here???

These are minor problems and would not qualify for a lemon law case.

If you are unhappy with the car, sounds like your only option would be to sell the car and get something else. Honda would not let you out of the lease for these minor problems.
Old 12-18-2003 | 10:39 AM
Racer

I am not sure they'd let you out, period. With the transmission problems, if they open those floodgates, they are dead meat.

Correct that most all lemon law provisions stipulate that the defect substansially impair the use of the vehicle.
Old 12-18-2003 | 11:28 AM
Racer

Not true

Lemon laws "usually" incorporate anything that affects the value of the vehicle as well. I believe in California they allow for the company to do the arbitration. Call Acura Corporate and inquire about this. Again the CA lemon laws are guidelines not hard fast rules.

Go to here

CA Lemon laws are better than most in the fact that if you do win, the lawyer fees are paid by the manufactuer, not you.

the link I posted offers a free review of your case - it's worth a shot, worst they can tell you is you don't have a case.