DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light

This is my first DIY write up so it might suck...

If none of the picture links work let me know, clicking on them might work.

This is instructions on how to change the SS mode gear light to a different color other than the stock red.

The bulb for the light is a 74 wedge bulb just like all the other lights in the guage cluster, so I just stocked up on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6000K-White-T5-SMD-LED-Bulbs-for-Dashboard-Gauge-Background-Cluster-37-73-74-/290915799492?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bbeed1c4&vxp=mtr

So first off you need to remove to dashboard bezel that goes around the gauges to get to them.
Heres the DIY for that: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=guage+bezel

Once you have the gauges out set them face down on a good table to work on and put a cloth down under it so you don't scratch the plastic. On the back there are 6 white tabs (what the blue arrow is pointing at), you will need to pry those off then pull the plastic off. It might be hard to take off, mine was stuck on there pretty well so don't be afraid to pull at it, but obviously don't pull to hard.

When you have it off theres the white cable (Green arrow is pointing at) that connects into the panel below it. I just used a small flat head screw driver and pried it up, but definitely be gentle.

Now we're almost in the guts of the thing. First off take out the light circled in yellow, by twisting it left, pull out the bulb and put in the LED bulb then put it back. The next thing is kinda tricky. The purple arrows are pointing at little metal tabs that are hooked over the board, these are holding the needle motors in place. Get a small flat head screw driver and pry them all back.

Then Starting with the needle motor on the right, poke with a flat head at the hole between the metal tabs while just barely lifting the the green board up. You're essentially pushing the needle motor out. Once you see it starting to push away move on to the next one until you eventually got them all worked away from the board. When they're all a little loose, push the plastic tabs (circled in red) towards you while pulling up with the board and it should come out.

We're close! Flip it over and you'll see the screen that tells you what gear you're in. Again, with a small flat head screw driver pry the screen up from the top part, be careful not to pull it to far! under the screen you can see the red filter, take that sucker out of there!

We're not done! I made a mistake here; when I first did this I thought I was done, put everything back together and plugged it back in and found out without a filter all you see is a white circle. So you kinda have to be crafty. Find a piece of white plastic that is hazy but still allows light through. At first I thought maybe a piece of scotch tape would work but that isn't hazy enough. After doing some searching I found a white cap to a box of staples and sanded it with 3000 grit sand paper and cut it in the approximate shape of the screen (doesn't have to be perfect). Then put it under the screen then close it.

How do we know its going to look right? So to check that your filter is good Take out the LED and shine a light through and if all of the screen is lit up then you're good to go!

Now just reverse everything and voila! Now when you pop it into Sport mode the numbers will be white with blue background! Oh and theres a possibility the white LED might not light up, thats because its in backwards. Just turn it 180 degrees and that is all! Have fun!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I noticed the pictures aren't working so I just attached them here...
They go in order of the post above.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0351.jpg   DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0352.jpg   DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0354.jpg   DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0355.jpg   DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0356.jpg  

DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0357.jpg   DIY Blue SS mode gear indicator light-img_0358.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 557 Likes on 447 Posts
Looks cool, nice setup!