Diatribe...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diatribe...

Diatribe on...

So I'm bringing a friend of a friend home from a bar in my car last night because he was inebriated (old boy wasn't hammered but I wasn't about to let old boy drive) ....so on the way back to his place he says "Hey man, nice car. What is this, a Prelude?" ...so then today I'm with a group of people going to a restaruant and another one of my friends buddies says "Nice Accord..."

I don't get it...I know our car is basically an Accord in a pretty dress...but a Prelude???? I don't cosnder myself an elitist but I mean I guess it would be nice if people would give the TL props. I'm pretty sure nobody in a G35 has people tell them nice Maxima?

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Diatribe off...

By the way 2003 TL-P lightly modded
Old 01-28-2006, 07:52 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLsu
so then today I'm with a group of people going to a restaruant and another one of my friends buddies says "Nice Accord..."
I don't get it...I know our car is basically an Accord in a pretty dress...but a Prelude???? I don't cosnder myself an elitist but I mean I guess it would be nice if people would give the TL props.Anyone else with similar experiences?
my friends girlfriend said the same thing when she got in my car...i wanted to tell her to get out!

Originally Posted by TLsu
I'm pretty sure nobody in a G35 has people tell them nice Maxima?
this is because accord is more popular i guess
Old 01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Yeah don't take to heart people just don't know what kind of car it is so they just say accord. Some of my friends just call it an Acura, but many people just don't know .......
Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Yeah I was riding with a friend of mine who was taking me to my car. This guy is a complete moron, and drives an 01 Camaro V6, not even Z28 or SS. The 210hp V6.

Anyway, he says "where you parked" and I said "down there". So we drive down there, and I wait to see if he noticed my car. He slows down at a Maxima, (gen before the new bodystyle), I look and say "WTF thats not my car dumbass." "My bad I dont know much about cars etc etc". He then proceeds to drive RIGHT by my car, and I have to say you drove right past my car you fucking moron. "My bad I dont know about cars etc etc". Pissed me off.

I then proceed to think to myself "that's why you drive a Camaro "

Notes about his car:

-01 Black V-fucking-6 Camaro
-Ten-dollar "cool blue" bulbs from ebay. He got these after seeing my car with HIDs.
Like our cars are the first cars to EVER have HIDs
-18 inch Corvetee wheels. Only decent thing about his car.
-Exhaust that sounds like a really loud beater truck. Sounds like ass. Best part is, dude with a Bullitt Mustang w/exhuast that I know peels out next to us with our windows down. It was frightening.
-He thinks is car is hot shit. I just think its shit.
-Oh, he thinks it is fast too. Ha.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why would anyone care what someone else thinks, particularly someone who doesn't know about cars?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Wallace, LA

It isn't that I care if they know it is Acura or Honda. It doesn't matter, what bugs me is the TL is supposed to be much nicer than both of them. So if it was, it shouldn't cross their mind it would be anything less...

I love my car and that is all that matters; I just get mildly insulted when people do this. It would be like if I rode in his Tundra and asked him if it was a Ford Ranger...which I'm probably going to do now provided the opportunity.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Instructor

YEah do it see what they say then maybe call it a scion too.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Wallace, LA

I hate to seem vindictive but this will be too funny. I guess my point is, nobody rides in a LS4300 and people get out asking if it is a Corolla. Why? Because the LS4300 is so nice. I was kind of hoping the gap between the TL and Prelude was a bit bigger. I think it is so that is what counts, it was just mildly insulting and funny.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Yeah, not to seem like an ass, but the point is, even if he has never seen a 3.2TL before, he should at least know what my car looks like, just from riding around with me and all.

My story was more "this guy doesn't pay attention to a damn thing" than "he called my car an accord".
Old 01-28-2006, 08:45 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

he had to have no idea about cars.....prelude is a 2 door car!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Back in a Type S

Hmmm...Let me first start out by saying I love my car. I have an 03 TL-S w/navi. One of the things that I have noticed since I bought the car last October is that I don't get the same kind of looks that I used to get in my last car. I had a 2000 Infiniti Q45-t. I think one of the reasons is that there are so many TL's on the road. My Q was very rare, especially the "t" so I used to get tons of "nice car" complements. I retired that car and love my TL...so who cares what anyone thinks! Obviously we all love our ACURA's that's why we are all here in this forum. Screw all those people who have no idea what great cars we own! Anyway, I'm not insulted especially when I floor it on the highway
Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The Prelude was one of the best handling cars under $40k while it was around, and the 97 Type-SH had ATTS, the prelude (interesting pun ) to SH-AWD.

The Accord has won worldwide acclaim for longer than you, TLsu, have been alive. Car and Driver's 10Best list even more times than the 3-series.

I'm not putting you down or mocking your concerns, the TL is a nice car. I'm just saying that the Prelude and the Accord were and are, respectively, fantastic cars and therefore the TL is in good company.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
/etc/car

The time...October 2000. The place...Apple Acura in York. The person...girlfriend at the time.

Walk into the little covered area to step into my brand spanking new 2001. I'm so proud that I was able to replace my beloved '88 Acura Legend with it's big cousin. If I were made of metal, I would have made love to the car on the spot.

What were my girlfriend's exact words? "Um...THAT'S your new car?? It's like an old people car."

While we broke up almost 4 years now, I still haven't forgiven her for dissing my baby.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:11 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Is your car gold?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:03 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been seeing a bunch of old faces recently at my job, in coversation the topic of cars usually comes up, espically when I talked to my buddy Chris. He was responcible for modding my former bosses Audi A6 2.8T (dickhead owner was bought out by great owner) this Audi had over 100grand in modifications in it!!! It was puching over 800Hp and from the words of Chris.. "There wasn't an audi part left inside that car when I was done".

So I told Chris (and two other guys in differenet situations) that I drove an Acura TL..
"Oh, that's a nice car" they said...
I then said "Starting off at 265(hp) and I've got headers and a bunch of goodies on her"..
"265!!!!?? isn't the TL the little civic-like Acura?" (we have that little EL here)..
"Hell no!!, It's not like a civic!!. More in the area of BMW 300ci, G35 area.."
"Oh, the V6 sedan, like the Accord?"
"Yeah, I guess so, if you need me to dumb it down that much for you.. If you think a Passat and an A6 are the same car, then you could respectively say the TL-S is an Accord"

I know I was reaching with that last comment, but come on, our car is much nicer than the accord, no disrespect intended, they are in a diferent class... luxury.... that makes a world of difference.

But I know exactly how you feel...

Funny thing, you shold have told your V6 camero buddy to stick around while your car warms up. You could have lined up and showed him what a TL's tail lights look like through a camero's windshield.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Leviathan
Yeah I was riding with a friend of mine who was taking me to my car. This guy is a complete moron, and drives an 01 Camaro V6, not even Z28 or SS. The 210hp V6.

Anyway, he says "where you parked" and I said "down there". So we drive down there, and I wait to see if he noticed my car. He slows down at a Maxima, (gen before the new bodystyle), I look and say "WTF thats not my car dumbass." "My bad I dont know much about cars etc etc". He then proceeds to drive RIGHT by my car, and I have to say you drove right past my car you fucking moron. "My bad I dont know about cars etc etc". Pissed me off.

I then proceed to think to myself "that's why you drive a Camaro "

Notes about his car:

-01 Black V-fucking-6 Camaro
-Ten-dollar "cool blue" bulbs from ebay. He got these after seeing my car with HIDs.
Like our cars are the first cars to EVER have HIDs
-18 inch Corvetee wheels. Only decent thing about his car.
-Exhaust that sounds like a really loud beater truck. Sounds like ass. Best part is, dude with a Bullitt Mustang w/exhuast that I know peels out next to us with our windows down. It was frightening.
-He thinks is car is hot shit. I just think its shit.
-Oh, he thinks it is fast too. Ha.

You are totally disrespecting his car, yet you want him to recognize yours?? Respect isn't a one way street.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Wallace, LA

Rob with his superior wit once again... There's that Spartan education going to work.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Hahah you guys crack me up. Yea, our car doesnt get the respect it deserves. But i mean, its really not THAT much of an upgrade over an Accord V6. Well, at least not the new ones. I dont really mind too much. It seems to me that the people I want to know what it is all know. I'll be at the gas station and see some guy in a new TL and we always have nice little conversations about our cars. And all my girl cares about is that its "some kind of Acura, so it must be better than a Honda". Ignorance is bliss, i suppose. Just remember. Its not how you stand by your car, its how you drive your car. HA!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:25 PM
アキュラ 力

I thought I might chime in with an incident that happened to me a few months back while I was gassing up at a local gas station. As I pulled up to the gas pump, I noticed there were to gentlemen gassing up across the way, one drove a Ford F150 and the other a Nissan Frontier. I proceeded to start pumping gas when the guy driving the F150 says "Very nice car, how do you keep it so clean in the winter" I replied by saying "I'll tell you this, it's not an easy job". He then goes on to say "What is that, a BMW?" My jaw almost dropped. I replied "It's an Acura". All of a sudden, as I was hanging up the gas pump, I hear the guy driving the Frontier say "It's a Toyota". I just shook my head and drove off.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

I was at a drive-thru window of a fast food restaurant in my '01 3.2TL when the employee asked me how much I payed for my Infiniti. I told her it was an Acura and she asked why it had the exact same logo as Infiniti (I guess she was looking at the steering wheel). I don't know what the Infiniti logo looks like but there are worse cars to be confused for.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ranman
I was at a drive-thru window of a fast food restaurant in my '01 3.2TL when the employee asked me how much I payed for my Infiniti. I told her it was an Acura and she asked why it had the exact same logo as Infiniti (I guess she was looking at the steering wheel). I don't know what the Infiniti logo looks like but there are worse cars to be confused for.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:00 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

coincidence? lol.

No I'm driving an Acura not the USS enterprise....
Old 01-30-2006, 07:02 AM
極品インスパイア32V

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
my friends girlfriend said the same thing when she got in my car...i wanted to tell her to get out!

this is because accord is more popular i guess
I had the same thing happening on me last year.

My classmate (a girl) said that the interior looks like her 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe especially the climate control and stereo parts when she got in my car.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Holdin it down for MS

Originally Posted by InspireUA5
I had the same thing happening on me last year.

My classmate (a girl) said that the interior looks like her 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe especially the climate control and stereo parts when she got in my car.
I actually had an 01 EX V6 before my 03 Type S, and they DO look the same. I have Navi, so I can't vouch for climate controls, but it is blatantly obvious that the audio controls are the same unit. The only thing different is the eject and load buttons are on the same side of the disc spot; in the Accord they are on different sides.

That, and the stereo is lower in the TL, in the Accord it's in the middle of the dash.

I'm not complaining because the dash looks great. I get compliments on it all the time, especially the black marble/wood look.

Honda's controls are SO INTIUITIVELY placed, that I have no problem with the placement of the controls. Everything is logical.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:46 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

The climate controls in non-navi TLs are exactly like those in Gen6 Accord EX-V6s.

Lots of parts, including vents, most switchgear, and lots of mechanical equipment is the same. But the Accord's a great car.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leviathan
I actually had an 01 EX V6 before my 03 Type S, and they DO look the same. I have Navi, so I can't vouch for climate controls, but it is blatantly obvious that the audio controls are the same unit. The only thing different is the eject and load buttons are on the same side of the disc spot; in the Accord they are on different sides.

That, and the stereo is lower in the TL, in the Accord it's in the middle of the dash.

I'm not complaining because the dash looks great. I get compliments on it all the time, especially the black marble/wood look.

Honda's controls are SO INTIUITIVELY placed, that I have no problem with the placement of the controls. Everything is logical.
Yeah, they do look exactly the same. A neighbor has an Accord and I noticed it in her car. I know we all know this but honda is acura...so of course the are gonne be a lot of similarities. Just like the new wheels available on the Accord Coupe. I know I've seen those wheels somewhere before...oh yeah, I have them on my 02 TL-S.