Deer Whistlers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Deer Whistlers

I don't know how many of you drive in wooded areas, but out by me in parts of Jersey, I've been seeing lots of roadkill, and was wondering if anyone has tried mounting those ugly deer whistlers to their TL to avoid a collision with Bambi.

I've seen some at Pep Boys, but man, are they damn ugly! Big black ones that would look just awful on my front silver bumpers. Anyone seen some more discrete looking ones you can recommend?

DA
Old 03-08-2001, 03:33 PM
Pro

i've seen some electric ones but they are like $60 bucks...and i don't know if they work...and i don't think i'll try it...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk and Underdash Neons...
[URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/]AlbumIndex?u=1530721&a=11664800&f=0][url]
Old 03-08-2001, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Be sure to install them correctly. If they are installed backward , they can attract deer! haha
Old 03-08-2001, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I had some on my RX-7 convertible when I lived in Austin, TX (lots of deer), installed right under the front bumper.

They didn't seem to do much except relieve me of a few bucks (no pun intended).

Supposedly, they are supposed to get the deer's attention, as opposed to scaring them away. I did see some deer as I passed standing at attention, but I used to see that every day before the whistles anyways, 'cause they sometimes hear you coming and get curious.

As an aside, a deer once jumped over the hood of my RX while I was driving 35 MPH, but he cleared my car. The top was down, and I could have scratched his belly as I drove under it!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 03-09-2001, 09:17 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Gomez:
I had some on my RX-7 convertible when I lived in Austin, TX (lots of deer), installed right under the front bumper.

They didn't seem to do much except relieve me of a few bucks (no pun intended).

Supposedly, they are supposed to get the deer's attention, as opposed to scaring them away. I did see some deer as I passed standing at attention, but I used to see that every day before the whistles anyways, 'cause they sometimes hear you coming and get curious.

As an aside, a deer once jumped over the hood of my RX while I was driving 35 MPH, but he cleared my car. The top was down, and I could have scratched his belly as I drove under it!

you know it is very interesting that you mention that. although this has never happend to me. my friend has had 2 encounters with deer where in both cases the deer ran into his car. once while stopped on the highway. he stopped for the deer then the deer ran around the car and smacked into the passenger side and broke off the mirror. more recently while driving at 30 mph a deer ran into the side of the car and put a scratch along the fuel tank door. we went to the body shop to get it fixed and the owner told us of a story where acustomer of theirs had a small deer jump through an open rear window of an SUV and romped around the back seat then exited through the front passenger window. the deer was totally freaked out! the guy was lucky the deer chose the passenger window and not the driver side where the owner was sitting.

deer must be the most stupidest animals in the woods.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 03-09-2001, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

Check with a State Farm insurance agent in your area (if there is one). They sell (or give away to policy holders, if you ask nicely) a really low-profile ceramic one that can be more easily mounted in an inconspicuous location.
Old 03-09-2001, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I would mount them upside down on the lower grill opening of the front bumper, or on the black slats that are between the opening(the cutout on the bumper between the fake foglight cutouts), and you probably wouldn't see it..just make sure it's in direct contact with wind..

Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?