Dealer Problem: Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004 | 02:58 PM
Advanced

Dealer Problem: Need Opinions

Warning: long text below...

As I stated in other threads, I recently purchased a certified, pre-owned TL from a dealership in TX and drove it home to Phx, AZ. I took my car into a Scottsdale dealership for some minor cosmetic (warrantied) issues, as well as some electrical problems. The cosmetic problems were covered and fixed, a recall item was addressed, and the electrical problem was the result of bad ground wires - due to an accident that apparently wasn't reported to carfax (the local dealership noticed that the bumber and hood, along w/ a few hoses and clamps, had been replaced - therefore not covered under the warranty). I was charged for the hour of labor and told to contact the TX dealership in order for them to reimburse me for the charge.

I started thinking that I got screwed. Not only did the TX dealership sell me a car that had been wrecked (although they claim they didn't know, according to the carfax report), they sold me a car that originally had some warrantied cosmetic issues wrong w/ it that they could have repaired from the beginning - also, they said that they performed their "150-point" inspection, yet didn't perform the latest transmission recall - knowing that I was about to drive over 1,000 miles to my home in AZ...

Today, I talked w/ the service mgr at the TX dealership, who said he would gladly send a check to my home address to cover what I paid for the "should-have-been-warrantied" work. He was extremely apologetic and nice on the phone, which I appreciated. I was still a little uneasy about driving around this "wrecked" vehicle, though... or to be frank - pissed that I paid what I did for a wrecked vehicle.

I then spoke to Acura Client Services (800 number), and although very understanding and pleasant, they said it was ultimately up to the dealership to right this wrong. She even mentioned that the TX dealership buying back the car would not be out of the question.

I called and spoke to the sales mgr in TX and he assured me that this had never happened b4, and they would cover anything that should be warrantied from now on. I brought up the fact that they should have known if they would have properly performed their "150-point" inspection (bringing up the fact that the carfax report listed the recall had not been done, and they let me drive to AZ w/o taking care of it). I also said that if I knew that it was wrecked, I would not have paid as much for the car as I did. He then said that they would not have sold it, had they known... I then even brought up the fact that I might trade it for something else or they could buy it back. He said that a trade would be no problem, but I would have to drive back to TX to take care of that, along w/ negotiating a new sales price for the other car. I told him that me driving back to TX was not an option. He replied that there was nothing else he could really do...

After talking to a lawyer friend - who will likely write the letters (and get more involved if needed) for me to not only all of those involved at the TX dealership (general mgr, all sales mgrs, service mgrs), but also to Acura's Client Services (corporate) - he said that if I want to keep the car, I should negotiate a new sales price (or a specific refund amount) for the value of the now-known "wrecked" car (as well as them still honoring all warranty work), or they can simply buy it back, w/ me losing zero money on this deal...

I know that the TX sales mgr is playing hardball, but I definitely have them by the balls on this. They were clearly in the wrong, and if they want to keep their "precision team award" status, they should cooperate. I like the car. It drives great. I would rather negotiate a new price (perhaps negotiate $6,000 off what I paid) and keep the warrantied car, but if I have to part w/ it and get my money back, so be it. I'll just buy new next time around, now that I realize you can't even trust these "certified" vehicles...

So, what do you guys think?
Old 10-15-2004 | 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

So what you're asking of the dealership is to give you $6k back, or buy back the car? Honestly, I'm sure they could do that, and you shouldn't have a problem. If you really feel like there is something wrong with the car and don't want to hassle with it, sell it back. However, getting 6k back and keeping the car that they say will be cared for just like any other car is a pretty good deal. The dealership in AZ should not have charged you for their work - if the car is certified, then all dealerships must perform warranty work at no cost to you. If they needed money from the TX dealership for whatever reason, then that's their issue to get that taken care of.

If I were you, I would drive back to TX and sell the car back to them for the full price of what you paid, and would ask that they knock off some $$$ on a new car for your troubles. I know you don't want to drive back to TX, but if you "kill them with kindness" then you have more leverage over the deal that will put you in a new car for less money. Make sure to find a car that you want, and keep your cool when it comes to talking about the bottom line. You're in the right so long as you don't get ugly with them. Just my two cents...
Old 10-15-2004 | 03:59 PM
Instructor

I will also suggest selling the car back to them and getting a new one at a discounted price because u never know what will happen with the wrecked that wasn't even repaired properly. A few months or years down the line and car could cost you a lot more than the discount you may get. I'd rather play it safe than to be sorry.
Old 10-15-2004 | 04:46 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

keep us informed please
Old 10-15-2004 | 05:41 PM
00' WDP BABY!!!

Old 10-15-2004 | 06:48 PM
Desi Pride

Originally Posted by deye
I will also suggest selling the car back to them and getting a new one at a discounted price because u never know what will happen with the wrecked that wasn't even repaired properly. A few months or years down the line and car could cost you a lot more than the discount you may get. I'd rather play it safe than to be sorry.
I personally think the dealer knew the car was wrecked before. How could they not know if the car was sold as certified and did not have Honda/Acura parts to begin with. Sell that car back to the Dealer find another TL-S if that is what you want or just buy a new one. Have them compensate you for your lost time and expenses and then some. Keep us posted. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2004 | 10:35 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I'd love to know if you win, my car has been in accidents as well and they didn't tell me when I bought it. I know because my front bumper was repainted along with some door repairs (poorly, it looked fine when I bought it but in just a year the color is changing and it looks like crap). I took it to a paint shop and he pointed out a seperate incident/repaint job that was however of much higher quality (looks perfect to my eye), but had 'fisheyes' so he didn't think it was factory paint. I am not aware of any law saying they have to tell you about it before you buy, especially with the huge gaping loophole of not knowing because they get it from 'auction'. Anyway, keep us posted .
Old 10-15-2004 | 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

After returning the car, write the dealer and Acura CS to state that there is something wrong with their "certified" used car program to have a sale like this, means that their program is flawed. Also mention that this incident was published on this webpage to alert unsuspecting buyer to this shady practice.

If they plainly claim the car to be "certified", then they should buy it back. $6,000 is not enough when you end up with headaches with this car down the road.
Old 10-15-2004 | 11:14 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by Vicman17
After returning the car, write the dealer and Acura CS to state that there is something wrong with their "certified" used car program to have a sale like this, means that their program is flawed. Also mention that this incident was published on this webpage to alert unsuspecting buyer to this shady practice.

If they plainly claim the car to be "certified", then they should buy it back. $6,000 is not enough when you end up with headaches with this car down the road.
with everyone above... sell the car back to them for the same price they sold it to you and get your money back for the labor and parts the AZ dealer did... TX dealer should give every cent back to you and then some, meaning a discount (couple thousand) on a new TL or another car you might like... You can threaten them by saying you are warning other potential buyers/owners about this but I recomend you not to state this site to them. They might come back and penalize this site for posting something that may sound like "DON'T BUY HERE" lol... yeah i know... freedom of speech, but still, its better off not mentioning this site... and good luck with your situation... Again, re-sell the car back... and get your cash back ...
Old 10-16-2004 | 02:01 PM
Advanced

i'm waiting until monday to talk to the dealership again.

according to a lawyer friend, even if they didn't know that it was wrecked before, they still "misrepresented" the facts about the car to me. therefore, there was a breach of contract... he said i'll have no problem getting my money back, no matter how difficult they might be w/ me telling them that. also, he said if they willingly sold the car - knowing it was wrecked, it's a "fraud" issue, and they're in deep sh*t... i'll let you guys know...
Old 10-17-2004 | 01:16 PM
Racer

I had a similar problem like this as well, although my car didnt appear to have been wrecked like yours. I've told the story on this board before, but anyway, mine had paintwork done on the front and rear bumpers (which is common due to scarring from bugs and stones, etc.); however, they painted the 2 front fenders as well and had removed the hood and got overspray all onto the engine and side of the car. My uncle who is a dealer told me the car had been wrecked, so my father and I were pissed and he called the dealer in FL (I live in AL about 100 miles away) and told them they'd sold me a wrecked vehicle and I just called to stop payment on the check and am on my way to return the car to resolve this matter. They were dumbfounded that we'd do this and got up there to compare my car with another TL and noticed the VIN#s on all the parts matched the car and all the other seemingly abnormalities appeared on the other car as well. The car had not been wrecked but the person who did the paintwork did a piss-poor job and I was still not happy. I ended up keeping the car and re-instated the check but told them I was pissed the hell off that it had this much paintwork b/c in the sun you can slightly see the difference since you cannot match the pearl white. Even though the car is all-original, I believe like you that their certified program is a bunch of shit. I even bought the car "without" the certification (which is just a 7/100 powertrain warranty). The car had already been through the 150 pt inspection and had a $1600 shop bill for tires and brakes all the way around and a 30k service, so I screwed them over on that. Basically you can buy those cars "un-certified" as they say. Its just a way to make more $ out of you. You cant "undo" the 150 pt inspection and maintenance thats already done, you just don't buy their warranty and save $500. Mine has the tranny recall warranty anyway so hell, it would have been stupid to pay the $500 more. They wanted like 19k for the car but I paid $16,500 plus tax for the car w/ 36k on it, 2000 model. I like the car but the paintwork bothers me. From my experience Acura dealers are stuck up and too good to be of service to you and frankly don't care. I will keep this one for awhile then trade up to a 2005 RL in a few years when I can afford one.
Old 10-20-2004 | 03:03 AM
Advanced

UPDATE: Goodson Acura (Irving, TX): Thumbs way down!!!

Well, fellow Acura owners, I would advise you to stay away from Goodson Acura in Irving, Texas.
I spoke w/ the general manager of the dealership about my issue, and he offered no help at all. He stated that we couldn't really "prove" that the car had been wrecked. In fact, he actually said that since it hails every now and then in Dallas, the hood and fender could have been replaced b/c of that (apparently, the previous owner only parked half of the car inside the garage, since the roof and trunk were still original parts...).

He then sent me a faxed letter of response (to my own faxed complaint letter) detailing the fact that he and Acura Client Services agreed that there was nothing that the dealership was required to do... The letter even detailed the fact that an "Acura Certified Pre-owned Vehicle" can be sold - even if it's been in a wreck... A totally different story than what I was told by numerous dealership staff and by Acura Client Services.

Unfortunately, there is a major flaw in the Certified Pre-owned program. If you ever choose to buy another "certified" vehicle from Acura, have it checked out by a body shop first for replaced parts, and make sure that Acura is willing to warranty any parts that are found to have been replaced. And especially choose a body shop that is not related to an Acura dealership (since the Goodson dealership bragged about having one of the few Acura body shops on site - while still seeming to "overlook" the replaced parts on my car).

I could pursue this with legal action, but I just want to enjoy my "new" - and possibly was in an accident, but still looks good - car. Thank God I bought the extra warranty up to 100,000 miles. Now if only an Acura dealership will honor it if something else goes wrong...

If only these cool TL's had a Lexus logo - and therefore that company's reputation and follow through for customer service. I learned my lesson...
Old 10-20-2004 | 07:19 AM
Desi Pride

I would take Legal action if I were you, I think you have good case and since the dealers program about Acura's program on certified cars differs, plus you have this in writing. It does not get any better than that. Enjoy your new fixed ride.

Thatz why if I buy a new-used car, I would prefer to buy it from a private owner. I hate dealerships that lie and cheat the customer.