Dealer Concern !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Concern !!!!!

Hi guys,

I bought a new '03 TL S w/ Navi. The dealer promised that he is going to get the delivery of the car on this saturday direct from the assembly plant. Therefore, it will have very minimal mileage.
However, today he called and said that there is a delay in the production line and instead he got the car from another dealer and drove it back to chicago-area. This put on 50 miles on the car.

Should I be concerned ? or should I wait for the car that comes direct from the assembly line? I am not in a huge rush to get the car.

I guess what im asking is that is it worth creating the fuss and waiting for the car or will I be ok ?

Furethermore, i have obtained the VIN # of the car, where can I check it out make sure eveything is okay?

thanks guys..............
Old 07-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Advanced

You actually should be concerned a bit. If i was the mechanic that drove a new TLS from whereever 50 miles away i would red line it all the way..

Wait for the new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't worry about it but if you're willing to wait then maybe you can negotiate a little something extra from the dealer to compensate you for the 50 miles of lost warranty.

Personally, unless I got a suspicious feeling I don't think that a 50 mile drive is worth worrying about.

It's really your choice - do what your gut tells you to do.

If you take the car and have engine trouble later on you'll blame yourself even though the trouble may not have anything to do with the fact that it was driven 50 miles.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:35 PM
Instructor

You aren't in a rush. Wait for the one with 10 or less miles to come in. There are differing opinions on the damage that may or may not be done in the first 600 miles (break in period of the engine). Since I was paying $30k for a car, I wanted to be able to account for all the miles (I got mine with 6 on it last Thursday) on the car. I guess I was a little paranoid, but I just didn't want to take any chances. Anyone could've been redlining that puppy before you even got to sit in it. Just a thought ....
Old 07-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Racer

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 50 miles .... miles accumulated due to dealer trades is normal. I'd be more concerened if the car was flatbedded ..... more scope for damage there. At any rate I would inspect every inch of the car .... make sure its 100% perfect. Take it for a test drive, check for rattles or squeaks. Its luck of the draw as far as rattles and squeaks go. You may get one that's tighter than a flea's arse .... or you may get one that starts rattling when you drive it off the lot.

My advice ....take it for a test drive and if it checks out OK then sign the papers.

However if you want the peace of mind you'll get from taking possession of a virgin TLS ....then maybe you should wait.

Yor money, your call
Old 07-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Moo
Pro

Don't take it. It could be a demo car. Mine only had 7 miles on it. The plastic still covered the entire interior. Brand spanking new. I wouldn't accept anything over 10 miles. At first the dealer tried to sell me a car they had on the lot with 70 miles on it...I laughed and walked away.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Pro

50 miles may not sound like a lot, but for a "new" car, it is.

I've never picked up a new car with more than 10 miles on it, typically they have less than 7.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

My tls was a dealer transfer also ...i had 48 miles on it at pick up......no problems with the car so far . 02 tls
Old 07-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Instructor

The other members have a great point - if you are paying for a new car you should get a new car (say less than 10 miles on it). I bought a '02 TL-S with 92 miles on it for $1000 over invoice about 3 months after they came out. The dealer explained it had been used for test drives a few times and the general manager had driven it home a couple of times. Unlike most Acura dealerships, the one here locally has an outstanding reputation and i have known the sales people for several years, therefore i had no reson to doubt them.

If they will discount the car significantly, you may want to consider the one with 50 miles on it.

Enjoy.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:01 AM
Pro

Luck of the draw...

As somebody else mentioned, the Quality control of these cars can vary considerably between individual cars. I would definitely drive the one with 50 miles on it and let them know that you want to really test drive it thoroughly. Not just "the once around the block" gag. It may turn out that the car is REALLY sweet. If you find one that is SWEET, buy it!

I bought a NEW 02TLS back in March. It only had 2 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. HOWEVER, IT WAS A LEMON!!!! It had an awful engine noise that sounded like marbles being thrown around inside the valve covers during warm up. It also had a rattle from somewhere in the trunk area. The engine noise would only happen for a few minutes after start up until the temp gauge got up to normal. It wouldn't be there stone cold, or at full operating temp. Only as it went through a certain temp range? The noise also only happened at an RPM of around 1,500-2K. I drove it for a few days to see if the noise would go away. It didn't! I took it back to the dealer with less than 100 miles on it, and they had it for two weeks trying to figure it out. They ended up on a complete fishing expedition... they had no clue!

They tore apart all of the engine shrouds.
They took the intake manifold apart.
They took the exhaust manifold apart.
They took the valve covers off.
They replaced the oxygen sensor.
They replaced the fuel mixture control.
They drained and refueled the gas tank.
They replaced the ECM computer.
They took all the drive belts off.
They called several times to the Acura tech support line to no avail. AND THAT'S JUST THE THINGS THEY ADMITTED TO DOING ON IT!

They never could find out what was going on... meanwhile my "2MILE" car had been completely dismantled and screws and parts were laying EVERYWHERE IN THE SHOP! IT WOULD NEVER BE THE SAME, EVEN IF THEY DID LOCATE THE PROBLEM!

I was PISSED at this point, and went through the proper channels up to the dealership owner. He was VERY sympathetic and said that he would work to replace my car with another NEW one. He checked his inventory, and they had another one exactly like it on the lot with 39 miles on it. I could see small gravel and rocks in the tires, so I knew it had been used for some test drives. Other than that it was SOLID! I took it for a THOROUGH test drive and couldn't find anything wrong. NO RATTLES, NO SQUEAKS, NO MARBLES IN THE ENGINE! The steering wheel was straight and tracked straight down the road. The tranny shifted smooth and I drove it home the same day. The owner said that they would ship the "lemon" back to the factory for further troubleshooting. He said they use cars like this to train mechanics on. A great car to take things apart on and put them back together again in a factory training situation.

POINT BEING... Getting a car with 2 miles on it did not prove to be a GOOD THING for me. The car with 39 miles on it, has been rattle free and trouble free for 5,000 miles now. SO, if the 50 mile car is SWEET, let them know that you are disappointed so that they might throw in some goodies, but inside yourself... I'd be saying "*****in"! If it's SWEET and under 100 miles... I wouldn't worry about the odometer. Your luck on the next draw could be a BUST!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Advanced

all dealers dealer trade cars it is not a big deal................everybody is saying only to buy one with less than 10 miles on it.........thats absurd..............if that were the case what would a dealer say to anybody who wanted a test drive....."i cant put more than 10 miles on it or it wont sell"....................and 2 miles on it is a dealer error........when cars are PDI'ed the mechanic has to drve the car for about 5 miles.........and the cars have about 2 on them rolling off the truck
Old 07-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

I would not worry about it. As usual, check the car out. If there is no problem, then take it. I purchased a 2002 tls/nav new last august. I live in Washington DC, and there are about seven Acura dealers in the area to choose from. The dealer I went to (tischer) did not have the color I wanted(dark emerald pearl). They found it at a dealer outside of Baltimore. The distance between the dealers was about 50 miles. When I picked the car up, it had 75 miles on it. My salesman picked up the car, and took them a silver one to trade. It is almost one year later and I have almost 12,000 miles with no problems. I know everyone wants a new car with as few miles as possible, but one year later I could care less about those 50 miles.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all ur input guys.
I did check out the '03 TL S with 50 miles on it. It was excellent and I found nothing wrong with it except a minor minor scratch on the cover for the front cup holders. Other than that, I love it. I bought it $31,000 which is exactly invoice (inlcuding navigation).

I jus picked it up this morning. Had to work all day, so ill be takin it tommrow for a longggg sunday drive.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:24 AM
Pro

Congrats!

That's one good deal for a NEW 03 WITH NAVI!

ENJOY!
Old 07-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Racer

Enjoy your ride