Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime running lights

This may be off the beaten path, I thought that all US cars were supposed to come with Daytime running lights? I know Canadian cars are required but I thought all US cars were now required. My 2000 Silverado has DRL, I thought my TL-S would have them (not that I'm complaining that it doesn't, just curious)
Old 11-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think those are pointless. i dun see y you need lights in daylight. Just turn it on when it rains or something like that. They're just wasting the bulbs life IMO.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Banned

Not required yet in the US. GM decided to make them standard on all of their vehicles starting in 2002 (some earlier than that). It's cheaper that way, and it makes a marketable selling point as a side benefit.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Re: Daytime running lights

Originally posted by NobleMike
This may be off the beaten path, I thought that all US cars were supposed to come with Daytime running lights? I know Canadian cars are required but I thought all US cars were now required. My 2000 Silverado has DRL, I thought my TL-S would have them (not that I'm complaining that it doesn't, just curious)

Only Canadian cars are required. I'm glad that the U.S. don't have that because it's useless. I know U.S. cars has to have 5 mph bumpers, driver and passenger airbags, 3rd brake light and I think that's about it.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Instructor

It's really sad when you have to legislate stupidity.

I find the first generation DRLs used by GM to be extremely irritating. They ran the HIGH beams on reduced power. So it's safer to continuously blind oncoming drivers?

I"m surprised California doesn't require them since they were proponents of the equally useless third brake light. When I bought my TL, the dealer wanted to see me a blinking third light. Yet another brainless concept! It just looks like a turn signal.

rw
Old 11-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by sparky57

I find the first generation DRLs used by GM to be extremely irritating. They ran the HIGH beams on reduced power. So it's safer to continuously blind oncoming drivers?

I"m surprised California doesn't require them since they were proponents of the equally useless third brake light. When I bought my TL, the dealer wanted to see me a blinking third light. Yet another brainless concept! It just looks like a turn signal.

rw
Since you brought up GM I would like to add that as some of you guys may noticed, the Toyota cars that's made here in the U.S. are a joint venture with GM and their Corollas, Highlanders, Camrys, Avalon, just to name a few also use that stupid brainless low wattage highbeams as DRL.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:46 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
My car originally was bought in Canada so it comes with DRLs. I don't really mind them because I never notice them, but what sucks is, is if I want to go to stealth mode at night, I can't because they never go off even if e-brake is enabled. I wish I never had them for that matter.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Racer

Our TLs up here in canada DO run high beam with reduced power for the DRLs
dat's just sad, i so wanna get rid of the DRLs
Old 11-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I kinda like the DRLs. It makes the on coming traffic easier to see. Especially when you are making a left turn, facing the sunset, and a silver car is heading towards you. It's not a look thing, it's a safety thing. It makes your car more visible to others.

Tatewaki
Old 11-12-2002, 10:54 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Sure whatever you say, Tatewalo.

ABDomehs
Old 11-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Tatewaki
I kinda like the DRLs. It makes the on coming traffic easier to see. Especially when you are making a left turn, facing the sunset, and a silver car is heading towards you. It's not a look thing, it's a safety thing. It makes your car more visible to others.

Tatewalo

I totally agree with ya, I always run my lights all the time
Old 11-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Tatewaki

Tatewalo

DRL should be the foglights instead of the highbeams IMO. If someone really wants DRL, just drive with your headlights on 24/7, it shuts by itself anyway. Either way, it's a waste of energy.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just leave the low-beams on 24/7, never have to remember to turn my lights on. The xenons are "supposed" to last the life of the car.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:43 PM
Advanced

totally agree with that. i'd like to see more $$ dumped into driver education. make a performance driving course a requirement and teach people how to handle skids and other common driving situations. gawd ferbid accidents decline and we can start building light weight, fuel efficient cars with awesome power to weight ratios rather than make everything with industrial gauge sheet metal and homicidal exploding pillows

When I bought my TL, the dealer wanted to see me a blinking third light. Yet another brainless concept! It just looks like a turn signal.[/B]
a blinking third brake light crossed my mind before and i thought it might be a good idea in a focused application. in the snowy north, when your ABS kicks in, you might execute a controlled stop but the person behind you doesn't realize the road is less than ideal until **WHAM**. i think the third brake light should flash in sync with the ABS to warn other drivers around you that the road conditions are crappy. imagine that - a car that actually helps other drivers drive more safely
Old 11-13-2002, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
cant you just pull out your drl fuse?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Comptech Freak

actually most cars have DRL runs in highbeam with reduced power...
audi cars run with their fog lights
some minivans run with their signal lights

i found this is very useful even at day time becoz u realized a car is coming and more alert to urself...trust me...it's better~
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

By driving with your headlights on at all times even on bright sunny days, recent statistics show that you reduce the likelihood of being involved in a collision by as much as 32%. Turninng on your headlights lets the other driver see you first; because the human eye is light seeking, drivers,pedestrians & cyclists will see an oncomming car sooner & are less likely to pull into its path.
The effectiveness of daytime lights in reducing accidents has been proven by research in a number of countries, including Canada the USA , Finland & Sweden.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro

DRL are useless in my opinion.. for people who dont want it, just disable that thing and put a strobe in it...
Old 11-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by FTM-1
By driving with your headlights on at all times even on bright sunny days, recent statistics show that you reduce the likelihood of being involved in a collision by as much as 32%. Turninng on your headlights lets the other driver see you first; because the human eye is light seeking, drivers,pedestrians & cyclists will see an oncomming car sooner & are less likely to pull into its path.
The effectiveness of daytime lights in reducing accidents has been proven by research in a number of countries, including Canada the USA , Finland & Sweden.
I totally agree. If you've ever ridden a motorcycle, you probably appreciate how important it is to be seen. Having DRLs or running with your lights on simply make you easier to see. Maybe it could be considered a 'waste' of energy, but so is stompin' the freakin' accelerator (and I know that no one here does that...).
Old 11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally posted by FTM-1
Unfortunately, the daytime running lights (high beam), even at reduced power, are very irritating to other oncoming drivers and drivers driving in front, in low light situations, such as dawn and dusk and cloudy and rainy days. I don't know if this may cause more accidents in return.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
/etc/car

I think we need to work on getting drivers to turn on their headlights when it's DARK outside. Last week I saw TWO people without their headlights on when it was pitch black outside. Of course, given the look of their car and the look of the driver, it was probably just a double padiddle.

You guys remember the old commercials when they first introduced DRL? "Hey your headlights are on...your headlights are on....yo! headlights on!" and then the announcer says "who says noone notices?"
Old 11-14-2002, 10:24 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by Edward'TLS

Unfortunately, the daytime running lights (high beam), even at reduced power, are very irritating to other oncoming drivers and drivers driving in front, in low light situations, such as dawn and dusk and cloudy and rainy days. I don't know if this may cause more accidents in return.
i disagree...

in such situations i noticed teh cars are coming and where they are...the DRL are no where near the brightness of the low beam...so not to worrie...

once u get used to it...u will find it's very effective~