Dash clock backlighting out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dash clock backlighting out...

... my 2000 TL just had the dashboard LCD clock lighting go out, and I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything on it. Too busy at work lately to get to dealer or store -- anyone had this happen and/or know how to correct?

I'm at 54k miles... cheers, Tim
Old 03-06-2003, 11:23 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I JUST had this happen today.... So funny, i was goin to post a thread about it

But i definatly plan to switch it with blue along with all the otehr lights. ill let you know how hard it is to rip that dash piece off.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a bulb in there thats probably burned out. It will take you like 15 min to replace it. first get one from the dealer, or at an autoparts store if you can find out in advance what size it is.

There are 2 screws up under the dash above the gauges that you have to unscrew. You also have to remove the bottom dash panel under the steering wheel. There is like one screw behind the fuse cover panel and then the rest of it is held in with clips. just give it a light pull and it will come off. The reason to remove the bottom cover is it makes it easier to do the next step - pushing out the three switches. Next push out the switches to the left of the steeting wheel (sunroof, trac. control, etc) and unplug them. Then carefully pry the dash out starting up at the top where you removed the two screws. You should be able to grab it with your fingers and pull forward. Dont use a screw driver if you can help it so you dont leave marks. (be sure to put the steering wheel all the way down for clearance). Once you get the dash to start coming out, you have to unplug a few plugs in the center area. One is for the clock, etc. (not sure if you have the Nav or not). Then you will be able to remove the entire dash piece, and unscrew the light bulb socket for the clock and replace the bulb.

All in all, it sounds more complicated than it is. if you really want to make it easy, unscrew the two bolts that hold the steering wheel up to the column. I think they are 13mm and you need a deep dish socket to get to them over the long bolts that stick down. That will give you maximum room to pull out the dash piece. I've had my dash off many times while working on my audio system, and thats how i do it. Dont worry, the air bag wont explode on you when you do this, but if you are really scared you can always pull out the fuses.