Darker window tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darker window tint

I had 35% window tint installed on my TLS a few weeks after i bought it. Personally, i dont think that 35% is dark enough so i want to make them darker. Can i just have them install another sheet of 35% over the existing window tint, or will they have to remove it. I dont want to have it removed because
a) a darker tint is more expensive and
b) i have heard some stories about the defroster wires on the rear winshield coming off when the tint is removed

If anyone has either been in a similar situation or knows something about tint, your help would be greatly appreciated
thanx

p.s.
anyone know of a wax (besides Zaino) that will hide hairline scratches. (i dont dislike Zaino, but i would much rather buy it at a retail store than online)
Old 09-25-2001, 09:08 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never heard of tinting over a tint. If you do, you'll be the first one I know of. As for a darker tint being more expensive, whoever told you that either doesnt know any better, or just simply want to make a fast buck. My tint shop tinted each window the same price regardless of tint %.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:45 PM
Jax
Racer

will the new film stick to the old ones?
Old 09-25-2001, 09:53 PM
Racer

Yeah, don't let the tint shop cheat you like that. Set them straight or find a new shop.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:54 PM
Instructor

hmm, maybe they charged more for the different types of tint. Im not sure. My friend told me he had 3 layers of tint although i never actually looked at it in detail. Hes one of those guys who tends to exaggerate things so i wasnt sure.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:08 PM
Drifting

You can get multi layers of tint. So, you should be able to tint over your existing layer of tint. Tann808 from this board I believe has it done.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:08 PM
Racer

Yeah, definitely don't let them bs you. You should have them remove the existing tint and replace it. I've never even heard of placing film on top of film either. I'm sure it would compromise the quality and durability. But, if done correctly and professionally, it shoudn't affect your rear window defrosters. My friend owns a tint business so I've heard that question a bunch in his shop.

Regarding price, there shouldn't be such a variance. Tints of similar characteristics (metallic vs. non-metallic, etc.) should be priced around the same. The only other thing I can think that would impact would be supply. Maybe they don't use as much of the darker tint, so they buy less - costs more.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Bada Bing

The only way one tint will cost more than another is if one is a high performance tint and the other isn't. Trust me, my brother was in the business. Also do not tint over tint...you could lose your warrenty, it is more likely to peel and more defects in the windows &/or job will show. You will run a risk of scratching the defogger wires when removing the rear window but it is a risk you're going to have to take if you want it to look right and be done right.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:53 PM
Instructor

well crap, thanks for the info guys. Guess i should have saved myself some trouble and had the darker tint installed. Oh well,
s@$t happens i guess. If the tint shop messes up my rear window, will they pay to have it replaced/fixed? If so, then i guess i'll go with taking off my current tint
again, thanks for the info!
Old 09-26-2001, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

IMHO--I would definitely take off the old tint rather than place another tint on top of it; having two layers of tint may affect the optics, e.g., objects may appear skewed when looking through two layers of tint.

Another factor to consider when pricing tint jobs (more of a general consideration than specific to this board) is the type of car window being tinted. I can't imagine someone saying that the amount of difficulty in tinting let's say a Trans Am rear window (which is mucho curved) is no more than tinting the rear of a Civic hatchback.

Also, some shops may take shortcuts and use two pieces of tint to cover the entire rear glass--this is usually done for price (less labor involved in smoothing out the tint--thus, savings is passed on to the customer) and ease of installation (again, less effort in smoothing out tint over curved surfaces).

Shops that offer a "one price for any car" deal obviously are attempting to cater to customers looking more for the best deal rather than quality. Good tint shops build their customer base based on reputation of quality workmanship, not whether they can offer the cheapest deal.

Tony
Old 09-26-2001, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by tdoh
I can't imagine someone saying that the amount of difficulty in tinting let's say a Trans Am rear window (which is mucho curved) is no more than tinting the rear of a Civic hatchback.
Yeah....especially since you can just pop the back wide open in the civic. Tinting the front windshield of the new VW bug must be a pain in the ass too!
Old 09-27-2001, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang

Yeah....especially since you can just pop the back wide open in the civic. Tinting the front windshield of the new VW bug must be a pain in the ass too!
I saw one guy who wanted his IS300 tinted all the way around! Talk about asking for a guaranteed ticket...but hey, that's his choice.

Speaking of IS300, what is the difference between a regular Lexus and an "L-Tuned" Lexus? Is it worth the extra money to get an "L-Tuned" one?

Tony
Old 09-27-2001, 02:12 PM

That sounds like my coworker who owns a black IS300 and wants to go 20% all the way around. as for the L-Tuned version....isnt that equivalent to a TRD version of any toyota or the SVT version of a Ford? Worth the money.........you decide. As a matter a fact, I've gotten some criticsm from a select few of friends that said I should of bought a used 4-cylinder accord instead of the TLS and should of put that money on a down payment on the condo I keep on talking about. but hey....It was all worth it for me. Makes my commute MUCH MUCH easier. But back to the topic...............you dont want to tint the rears too dark unless your prepared to tint the fronts darker as well.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I plan on going 20% rear (already have 50% front driver and passenger doors) once my rear window is replaced. Should come out not too much of a contrast (front vs rear) so that I don't attract unwanted attention...

Tony
Old 09-27-2001, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

My brother had two layers of limo tint on his back window and it was fine for years. I think as long as it is a good quality tint and you go to a reputable shop it should be not problem. Have them guarantee it for you. Then if you ever have a bubbling problem or peeling have then take care of it.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:09 PM
Banned

A tint shop will not replace your lines if they are damaged during removal. What you can do is buy a defroster repair kit if they do damage it and have them apply it before they re-do the tint. It's no their fault that you want to change the tint on your car. As for price, yeah it's probably more the fact that they carry more of a certain tint and less of a really dark one. Few people really get limo tint as it has an adverse affect on your view when driving at night...heck I have 15%...in unlit areas...it becomes a problem trying to see out the rear.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:25 AM
Advanced

cool..i got my 20% tint
Old 09-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by moomaster_99
A tint shop will not replace your lines if they are damaged during removal. What you can do is buy a defroster repair kit if they do damage it and have them apply it before they re-do the tint. It's no their fault that you want to change the tint on your car.
Huh?? The shop doesn't have to pay for defroster line damage if done so during tint removal? Well, for starters--if you're paying the shop to remove and replace old tint with some other tint, they have a business obligation to take responsibility for any problems that may arise directly from removing the old tint. And the logic that it's not their fault that you want to change the tint? Well, by that same reasoning it's not their fault that you want to get your windows tinted in the first place-- so if by chance they scratch your window or cause some other damage to your vehicle during the tint job, the shop is not responsible for fixing the damage, right? Or they'll fix it, but you have to provide the parts...

If a tint shop is being paid to remove tint, they better darn take responsibility for anything bad that happens to the vehicle that happens as a direct result of the tint removal; it would be like adding insult to injury...

Tony
Old 09-28-2001, 12:58 AM
Instructor

IMO, tdoh is absolutely right. The only way i can forsee them not being responsible is if they tell me straight out that damage might occur, and they wont be responsible. If thats the case, ill just stick with my current tint. But if they tell me its no problem, and then screw up my defroster, they will have to pay for it.

Just my reasoning, it may not be right.

(I'll be sure to make it clear to them that the defroster better work after the new tint is installed, otherwise they'll be stuck with the repair bill)