Dangers of Cleaning brake calipers/brake jobs -asbestos

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Dangers of Cleaning brake calipers/brake jobs -asbestos

With all this talk about 'asbestos' emitted from used brake pads. Does that mean theres probably asbestos on the calipers themselves also? Wouldn't that be dangerous to scrub the calipers? I wanted to change out my own pads and paint my calipers, but considering the long term side effects when exposed to asbestos I thought twice. I think this is something that not everyone takes seriously and should be very careful with. Not trying to scare anyone, just giving you guys a heads up. From what I have read. Exposure to 'asbestos' could have effects 10-40 yrs down the road. With this being said, I think being in the bay of any brake shops can be vital to your health.

BTW, you can not see, smell or taste 'asbestos' as they are very tiny particles when inhaled.

Any comments? I would love to hear them. Rather be SAFE then Sorry. Thanks guys!

*EDIT, SORRY Mods! This may need to be moved to 'Ramblings', uncertain ???
Old 01-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ive never heard that actually...I didnt think that stuff was even made anymore
Old 01-17-2005, 03:07 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
In handling asbestos type claims in the past, research has shown that 'repeated, long-term' exposure rather than a simple cleaning of your calipers. Common sense would also apply in that annecdotally, look at someone when they do the work for you: doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

PS--I painted my calipers over a year ago (after cleaning and scrubbing them) and replaced my pads over the weekend. Neither event has triggered growth of a third arm or anything remotely similar.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Instructor

well the only information I have found is even exposure of a month -> two months could cause long term effects that gradually start to effect you. Thats about 10 years down the road up to 40 years. So yea, if you only have been near it once or twice or a little more it may not affect you. But I have not found any solid information that states that.
BTW, I have seen brake jobs performed. They don't even wear masks or spray it down. I have seen this at atleast 4-5 shops. I just never thought about it. Yea, it doesn't "appear" to be that big of a deal. But would you want to risk and ignore the possible effects of constant exposure to this cancerous material?

I have done my brakes maybe 2-3 times in my life, and I never took any extra precautions. If changing out your brakes can be vital to my health, I'll shell out the money and have someone else do it. Its not worth it.
You comment about a third arm, again. Like I said, researchers have shown that it takes years for it to develop. Cat scans can show possible mesothemiolia in your lung linings. If you go to the doctors now, they are not able to tell you if you have been exposed to asbestos unless the cancer has started its stages in your lungs.

*I'm not trying to start an argument. Just a safety precaution among our members. This topic was enough to get my attention. I'm sure people would want to know if they were never told this information.

Originally Posted by r10apple
In handling asbestos type claims in the past, research has shown that 'repeated, long-term' exposure rather than a simple cleaning of your calipers. Common sense would also apply in that annecdotally, look at someone when they do the work for you: doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

PS--I painted my calipers over a year ago (after cleaning and scrubbing them) and replaced my pads over the weekend. Neither event has triggered growth of a third arm or anything remotely similar.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ou sig
Ive never heard that actually...I didnt think that stuff was even made anymore
I have been trying to find solid answers to that and have been unsuccessful. Thats what I thought until I did some searches on 'asbestos'. From what I hear, brakes pads made with 'asbestos' last longer and work well when joined with the metal rotors. Theres non-metallic pads that don't last as long, but I'm NOT sure if they contain asbestos or not.

All my searches had led up to the dangerous of changing brakes/clutches and the dangers of brake shops bays unless they have HEPA vacumn filters.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

BTW, many sites state that if you hammer your at your brake pads/rotors or spray it with an air compressor, that only makes matters worse. As it just blows in the air and could contaminate anywhere from a 10 ft diameter....
Old 01-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK heres all I know. All the modern brake pads today do not contain abestos, thats what they all say on the box. But they might have a little who knows. But to be safe the best way to clean ur brakes is a HEPA filter vacumn. the next best thing to clean is just soak ur calipers with soapy water that way all the particles are stick to thje liquid and it cant be airborne. hope that helps thats what I learn
Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eyesnake02
OK heres all I know. All the modern brake pads today do not contain abestos, thats what they all say on the box. But they might have a little who knows. But to be safe the best way to clean ur brakes is a HEPA filter vacumn. the next best thing to clean is just soak ur calipers with soapy water that way all the particles are stick to thje liquid and it cant be airborne. hope that helps thats what I learn
Thanks for the info. Hopefully our cars don't have asbestos on the pads. I'm still trying to find solid answers.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:08 PM
lover and fighter

Like I said before, the meat of asbestos litigation isn't from techs changing brake pads, so exposure seems minimal at best. Again, if you change your brakes yourself once every year, where is the exposure? Is it any worse then the lead exposure from stripping an old piece of furniture?

For what its worth, my Hawk pads are labled not to contain asbestos, either...

You are going to worry yourself into oblivion...You probably have a better chance of getting killed in your car on the way home as opposed to getting asbestos related cancer or problems relative to your brake-job.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
you guys are getting worried over nothing. if it were that dangerous all the brake places in the US would require all workers to use special suits in sealed rooms to change brake pads. if any chemical that is bad for you is in them, and you are that worried, wash the brakes down good, put rubber gloves on and wear a mask.

if it was that bad california would have told us by now
Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 PM
lover and fighter

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you guys are getting worried over nothing. if it were that dangerous all the brake places in the US would require all workers to use special suits in sealed rooms to change brake pads. if any chemical that is bad for you is in them, and you are that worried, wash the brakes down good, put rubber gloves on and wear a mask.

if it was that bad california would have told us by now
:gheyhug: ahh...California...That was pretty funny, fstty...
Old 01-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by r10apple
:gheyhug: ahh...California...That was pretty funny, fstty...
well you know its true! if it were bad they would have created a stink about it by now
Old 01-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Instructor

I admit, I am probably more paranoid than I should be. It doesn't hurt to be cautious about things that are health related. Ok, I am probably convinced brake jobs once a year will not cause much or any exposure.

As far as brake job places, You can not expect the government or any health agencies to detect if brake pads containing asbestos to cause cancer until symptoms may arise many years later. Under these conditions, make it much harder for anyone to pinpoint the possible causes to these cancerous carcinogens. I have already read a few articles where they did 'asbestos' testing in brake places and more than 60% had asbestos in the air. So I personally think any tech's working with brakes or clutches on a daily basis for more than a few months are very likely to contract this. Once again, everyone's immune system is different, everyone's exposure intake fluctuates and I hear if you smoke and are oftenly exposed have a higher chance of cancer contraction.

*Also to add about the comment where, if all this was dangerous wouldn't the health dept/California catch it. Well, I look at it as 'smoking cigarettes'. Smoking doesn't affect everyone the same way. Some people are more prone to contract cancer than others while smoking. There is soo much information about smoking causeing cancer. Many still smoke, as many will probably not contract cancer depending on their body system. Despite all researches and such, cigarettes are still on shelves.

Do what you please, but my intentions with this thread was to find out more info/input/experiences on this topic from others. We take everything for granted in this world. New illnesses and diseases are found everyday. If certain precautions are not taken, it may be too late. <- I'm not talking about infrequent DIY brake jobs. More concerned with brake/clutches places. Anyhow, everything I say is getting shot down. Hope everyone continues to stay safe!

*Can anyone CONFIRM that Honda brakes don't contain asbestos? Any Honda employee's??? I would love to know.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Read this link. It says almost all the cancer cases were involving workers who mined asbestos, or worked with it as an insulation. It says there were no increased risks among brake repair facilities. So even if it did contain asbestos I wouldn't worry about.

But I doubt the brakes contain asbestos. It says a lot of brake pad companies were in dire strait because of impending litigation. Just that fact alone would lead me to believe that todays brake pad manufacturers would avoid asbestos like the plague.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the information B.
I read this news article that appeared to be published in 2001 and they were talking about all the investigations that were going on. They said they interviewed a Dealer parts department and had found brakes that had asbestos in them. The odd thing was, the parts people in the department were telling them there's no asbestos in them, since it is no longer used. When they went back to physically check, it was indeed on the label that asbestos was still a form used.

Anyhow, I guess we should be fine then. I still wonder if asbestos is still being used. All sources I have found do not confirm this.
Thanks again for your help~ again...
Originally Posted by avs007
Read this link. It says almost all the cancer cases were involving workers who mined asbestos, or worked with it as an insulation. It says there were no increased risks among brake repair facilities. So even if it did contain asbestos I wouldn't worry about.

But I doubt the brakes contain asbestos. It says a lot of brake pad companies were in dire strait because of impending litigation. Just that fact alone would lead me to believe that todays brake pad manufacturers would avoid asbestos like the plague.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:56 AM
lover and fighter

I hope Erin Brokovitch(sp?) is reading this...