damn!! got pulled over today!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 08:27 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post damn!! got pulled over today!!! :(

I had my first oil change and alignment today, which came out good. Then on my way home, due to heavy traffic, I went ahead and switched lanes to the carpool one. I was cruising just fine and all of a sudden I saw a cop on the left lane so I tried to move back to the left lane. Damn super heavy traffice wouldn't let me shift quickly so I had to slow down big time to sqeeze myself into the gap. Some car behind me also had to slow down a lot and honked me. I guess all of this was caught by the cop who was 2 cars in front of me so he moved to the right lane and pulled me over.

Got one ticket; $71 for violation of carpool lane, and $71 for unsafe lane change.

WTF?!?! He said that if i didn't slow down and had kept going he wouldn't even have noticed me. I apologized and said that it was not very smart to do something like that, and was being cool about it and he was cool about it too. He said that my attitude was good so instead of giving me a bigger ticket he gave me this.

Should I go to the court and have them lower the ticket price? And what should I do to prevent my insurance from being noticed about this? Can the judge do that? PLEASE HELP ME!!! I don't want my insurance to go up!!! thanks....

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Bra - XPEL clear bra, that is.
Pikkachu on the back passenger window

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by UW TL on December 13, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-13-2000, 08:39 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks!!! I've been pretty lucky... I just get the letters mailed to me saying next time, it will be reported to WSP. Hee Hee
Old 12-13-2000, 09:54 PM
The Doctor

Thumbs down

yeah i know... it totally ruined the day.

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Old 12-13-2000, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Your insurance premium most likely won't go up till the next time you renew it. They usually don't check it unless they have a reason to. At least that's how my Insurance is.

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo 225/40/18
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-13-2000, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

man any ticket sucks! I feel for ya.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 12-13-2000, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

you should plead not guilty to the tickets and then you will have to talk to the prosecuting attorney assigned to traffic court. you can then negotiate points and price. IMO, pay whatever it takes in order to not get points.
Old 12-14-2000, 01:12 AM
The Doctor

what chances of winning do you guys think regarding this? the officer was in front of me so perhaps i can tell the judge that I was making a quick pass using the carpool lane and had to shift back to the left lane and the car behind me was tailgating me that's why he honked at me...

help me out please.. I want to go to the court but dunno which box to check: 1)I agree I have committed the infraction and I want a mitigation hearing to explain the circumstances, or 2)I want to contest this infraction..

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Old 12-14-2000, 01:14 AM
The Doctor

what chances of winning do you guys think regarding this? the officer was in front of me so perhaps i can tell the judge that I was making a quick pass using the carpool lane and had to shift back to the left lane and the car behind me was tailgating me that's why he honked at me...

help me out please.. I want to go to the court but dunno which box to check: 1)I agree I have committed the infraction and I want a mitigation hearing to explain the circumstances, or 2)I want to contest this infraction..

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Old 12-14-2000, 01:29 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UW TL:

IMO, you have 0 chance of winning. I've never, ever seen anyone get off on HOV (car pool lane) violations. I don't know if the judge can make you fine bigger than it is stated on your ticket, but consider this, the judge could get pissed off and say "you knew you were in violation, etc. so I'm going to fine you even more". Something to consider. As far as insurance, they normally don't check until renewal. I'm like 1 point away from being suspended (12 in VA you're gone) and my insurance thinks I have like 3 or 4. So, I think I'll be looking for a new insurance carrier in Feb 01'. Good Luck!

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 12-14-2000, 01:40 AM
The Doctor

yeah, true. I don't think the judge will make the fine bigger.. i have never heard anything like that.. A couple of my friends tell me to contest and even if i lose tge judge will still reduce the fine and perhaps not notice the insurance.... ever heard of that?

Originally posted by AC:
IMO, you have 0 chance of winning. I've never, ever seen anyone get off on HOV (car pool lane) violations. I don't know if the judge can make you fine bigger than it is stated on your ticket, but consider this, the judge could get pissed off and say "you knew you were in violation, etc. so I'm going to fine you even more". Something to consider. As far as insurance, they normally don't check until renewal. I'm like 1 point away from being suspended (12 in VA you're gone) and my insurance thinks I have like 3 or 4. So, I think I'll be looking for a new insurance carrier in Feb 01'. Good Luck!

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Old 12-14-2000, 03:53 AM
Burning Brakes

u r damn lucky. in LA, it's a min of $271 carpool fine.

------------------
Some Say "TL Type S," Navi, Spoiler, Side Skirts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1000x Fogs, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&a=10077686
Old 12-14-2000, 05:28 AM
Instructor

Hate to rain on the parade. But this thread is indicative of today's society. You did something wrong, got caught, and now looking to weasle out. Our soon to be ex-President did a lot of this, and as our nation's leader, provided a poor example. Hey, the cop said he appreciated your attitude and cut you a break. Take it. Be happy and pay the fine and be done with it. Move on. The $142 is not worth the extra stress. You admitted being wrong, be a man, admit it, pay the penalty, and possibly learn a valuable lesson.
Old 12-14-2000, 05:38 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just open up the newspaper and looking for a ticket fighter... The ticket fighter will take care of everything for you.. Will go to the court, and will make sure that you get no points, or your money back...

At least that's how it works here in Canada...

Must be the same in the states... Good luck body...
Old 12-14-2000, 05:51 AM
Instructor

i agree with bobamitez...in cali...its 271. and i really don't think you can mitigate the fine much less get it overturned. its really not that big of a fine. just the time you spend investigating, worrying, contesting, going to court, is not going to be worth the 140 bucks or whatever.

my 2c

------------------
Dark Emerald Pearl 2000 3.2 TL with Nav, Sebring Mufflers, Sebring Quad Sport Exhaust System, Factory Spoiler, HP Quantum Mirror Tint, 6 Disc Alpine CD changer, 16" 139C Pacer wheels, yokohama 215/55/16s, PIAA 1700x
------------

http://www.stanford.edu/~sevan9
Old 12-14-2000, 06:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Florida, you can opt to go to driving school to avoid points (will cost you more and can do this only one time) you may look into this.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. Soon to have 17" or 18" wheels. Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 12-14-2000, 07:36 AM

Try this; pay the fine and send a check for $.01 more than the actual fine. As such, the state will be forced to send you a refund check (overpayment), which you can rip-up and throw away when you get it. There's a chance the actual infraction may not even post if their accounting system doesn't show the check was cashed. Worth a shot...

Old 12-14-2000, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I got a speeding ticket back in March of this year (before I had my TL). I didn't go to court, fight the ticket, or go to FL driver's school. I simply paid the fine. I was expecting an insurance increase, but after two renewals I'm still waiting. Someone told me that some companies (mine is State Farm) will let a first infraction go but raise your rates if there are repeats. Maybe your company is one of those.
Old 12-14-2000, 01:09 PM
Racer

ATL74:

http://www.snopes2.com/autos/law/ticket.htm

My advice: go to court, plead guilty. With my last ticket (maybe 8 or 9 years ago) they cut the fine in half just for showing up, and cut it even more for talking to a judge.

They may offer you some other options too.. who knows? Be a stand-up guy and they'll be willing to let you in on them.

Drive safely.

------------------

2000 Navi TL White Diamond Pearl
(they're magically delicious)
Old 12-14-2000, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Yep, just for taking the time to show up they might reduce it. No way they'll make it higher. So even if they don't reduce it ou tried.

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler, factory body kit, Inspire tails, Polarg M-12 front signals.
------------------
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000106.html" TARGET=_blank> Nate's ride!</A>
Old 12-14-2000, 02:58 PM
The Doctor

thanks for your support and help guys.. i really appreciate it. I know that I didn't something that i shouldn't have, and I know that it was wrong, as I apologized to the officer. I have decided to go to the court and talk to the judge (not to contest it) and to see if they will reduce the fine. My main concern is regarding to the insurance company - Prudential. So I hope that my doesn't get higher..

Originally posted by Oswald Vater:
I got a speeding ticket back in March of this year (before I had my TL). I didn't go to court, fight the ticket, or go to FL driver's school. I simply paid the fine. I was expecting an insurance increase, but after two renewals I'm still waiting. Someone told me that some companies (mine is State Farm) will let a first infraction go but raise your rates if there are repeats. Maybe your company is one of those.

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Old 12-14-2000, 08:44 PM

Talking

Do Deferred Judification (probation)

Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

Speeding Ticket Club

I just knew that it was a question of time. Got my first one the other day. Was going 21 over the speed limit. 5mph more and I would had a date with Judge Judy and my car impounded. 170 clams later...
Old 12-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater

I got state farm too, man state farm is the shit, i've been in two accidents and a minor traffic infraction when I had my accord, and my rates still aint go up, both accidents noone could decide who was a fault, and I guess they gave me a break on the infraction. everyone should get state farm, if u can that is oh, and even though I was lucky, these experiences made me a much better driver overall, so at the end of the day if doesn't matter what you and your car were invilved in "unless you were killed" lol, but as long as you learn from it
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 AM
slobalt defender

Received 349 Likes on 186 Posts
this thread is 6 years old...