D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdavisii
Yeah I will go ahead and do this later on today. Do u know specifically what function this alt. charging wire has on this unit?
If you don't connect that wire, your navigation will turn off after 5 mins, because it "thinks" that you don't have your alternator running. So, it's very important to connect that wire.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dprofeta
Hi I'm new here. Just got a TL and wanted to know if this is possible on an '05. If not what options do I have to add navigation (ie Pioneer AVIC-D2 or something like that) I would like to keep it looking as stock as possible (no external gps like magellan) Thanks. BTW great write up.
I think I saw one 3rd gen TL & one TSX conversion DIY some where, you can do a search.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I did try a search but only came up with this thread and a few similar. I will dig deeper though. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 AM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Omarkamal
i am not sure the etm is not clear on labels for the wires - - wire one runs to fuse 13- 7.5 A passanger and two runs to fuse 9- 7.5A driver side?
Well looking between the Service Manual and the ETM, Wire 1 on the clock harness is an IG1 Clock Supply SOurce, and Wire 2 is Constant Power Source. Can this be interpreted as follows???:

Wire 1: IG1 Clock Supply Source = ACC (? Fuse 9 - 7.5A passenger)
Wire 2: Constant Power = +B (Clock Fuse 13 - 7.5A passenger)

I currently have my configuration wired as such (changed the clock fuse to a 10A per Bolamite's instructions) and am wondering if this would be valid. With the exception of my display contents being slanted and blurred, everything else seems to function fine.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Advanced

where did you get your display? were you sure it was tested an guarenteed - sometimes the junk yard parts dont work properly - hope your display is not bad.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by Omarkamal
where did you get your display? were you sure it was tested an guarenteed - sometimes the junk yard parts dont work properly - hope your display is not bad.

I purchased the same set of hardware as you from diezelboy28 (jorge). He has been great with working with me. I just overnighted the unit back to him to test it. If it is bad he will turn right back around and send me another. So by tomorrow this time I will know if it is the display or a setup issue. In the meantime I will drive around with a hole in my dash
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, jorge is also who I ordered some stuff through. I really want to know where he gets all this stuff from....well maybe I don't wanna know. He is really good at working with people though.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:57 PM
B93P TL Owner

Well looking between the Service Manual and the ETM, Wire 1 on the clock harness is an IG1 Clock Supply SOurce, and Wire 2 is Constant Power Source.
Well my display was sent off for testing, in the meantime I am verifying my setup here. The only difference I have with my wiring is the ACC and the B+ wires. Instead of going to the fuse box I used pins 1 and 2 on the clock harness (See message above). I used Pin 1 for my ACC, and Pin 2 as my B+. This may not be the best way of doing this, I am thinking about just running this straight to the fuse box. Stay tuned . . .
Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
B93P TL Owner

Another successful conversion!!

Well another successful conversion has taken place. My display was not an issue at all, but there was a small issue with my DVD unit as well as a one of my wires going to the display. Took it to an electronic shop, they charged me a couple pennies to correct everything. Thanks to everyone on this board who made this possible. No way in the world this could have been done without the assistance of Acurazine!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Congrats! i AM GLAD IT WAS A SUCCESS
Old 04-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Glad everything worked out OK. Congrats.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Racer

Congrats
Old 04-30-2006, 02:16 PM
B93P TL Owner

Well so far everything is working great with no problems at all. I did notice, however, that whenever my unit boots up (with the globe) the text reads Honda Navigation instead of Acura. It also shows me all the Honda dealerships (as opposed to Acura). Why do u think this happens? Does this have to do with the software DVD disc I have? I have 2.05b.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Racer

Well so far everything is working great with no problems at all. I did notice, however, that whenever my unit boots up (with the globe) the text reads Honda Navigation instead of Acura. It also shows me all the Honda dealerships (as opposed to Acura). Why do u think this happens? Does this have to do with the software DVD disc I have? I have 2.05b.
It means you have a Honda DVD navi unit. It's either Honda Pilot or Honda Odyssey. Mine is Acura navi and it still shows both Honda & Acura dealer. I don't think it has anything to do with the disc version
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
B93P TL Owner

Ahh I see. Well just ordered 2.30 DVD today, so soon I will be updated from the 2.05b version.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 PM
10th Gear

Question:

I am unable to select the A/C controls on the navigation unit. Any hints.

I am afraid I have not lined up the contacts right.

pin 2 Light Green/white - Clock 2 ----
pin 3 Light Green/black - AC1 -----
pin 4 Light Green/red - AC0 -----

any help would be greatly appreciated.

and one last wire, Engine on???

I think I got the PCM right I connected to the cruise control blue/white wire.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 AM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by Justin Olson
Question:

I am unable to select the A/C controls on the navigation unit. Any hints.

I am afraid I have not lined up the contacts right.

pin 2 Light Green/white - Clock 2 ----
pin 3 Light Green/black - AC1 -----
pin 4 Light Green/red - AC0 -----

any help would be greatly appreciated.

and one last wire, Engine on???

I think I got the PCM right I connected to the cruise control blue/white wire.
I do not have access to my ETM at the moment, but if memory serves me correctly these 3 A/C pins connect into slots 8,12,14 of your existing A/C harness (respectively). I'll have to take a look at this later on today and get back with you.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by khoifl
It means you have a Honda DVD navi unit. It's either Honda Pilot or Honda Odyssey. Mine is Acura navi and it still shows both Honda & Acura dealer. I don't think it has anything to do with the disc version
Actually I looked at my DVD unit in the trunk and it reads Acura DVD Navigation. So maybe it does have something to do with the disc afterall, who knows? Guess I'll find out once 2.30 arrives in the mail.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:23 PM
10th Gear

I do not have access to my ETM at the moment, but if memory serves me correctly these 3 A/C pins connect into slots 8,12,14 of your existing A/C harness (respectively). I'll have to take a look at this later on today and get back with you.

Thanks for the fast feed back. I still am unable to bring the A/C up on the navigation monitor. The monitor has a 5 pin plug and I am only suppose to use pin 2,3,4 right?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
how did you guys wire the 3-wire connector(clk2,aci,aco) on the back of the navi screen? i read the diagram, supposedly it connects to 'plug b' on the climate control harness. the 3 pin slots on the climate control plug is nonoccupied. will the wire pins from the 71-1721 harness fit into that b plug? thanks...

btw, i'm pretty much done. i started up everthing and it appears to be fine. will do a full evaluation when i get the three last wires that control thr climate from the touch screen.

How did this turn out for you. I am still unable to select the A/C function. Any hints?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
10th Gear

Finally, I was looking at the connector in the car backwards, reversed the two wires and there it is. Thanks everyone.

I am still having a hard time with the engine on signal and where exactly I am suppose to connect it.

PCM I connected to blue white wire on cruise control -- I think is working.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Racer

Finally, I was looking at the connector in the car backwards, reversed the two wires and there it is. Thanks everyone.

I am still having a hard time with the engine on signal and where exactly I am suppose to connect it.

PCM I connected to blue white wire on cruise control -- I think is working.
THis is my set up. I don't know if that's blue/wht on cruise control works or not.

For Navi Unit C3, I used the wire behind the gauge cluster. Took out 2 screws on top of the gauge cluster and unplug connector A of the guage, 30 pins far left if you face the guage. You can connect the alternator charging to A21 of guage assembly. You can verify this by taking a look at Circuit E03 in page 15-9.

For Navi Unit C6, I tapped it to A9 wire near the ECU in the center console. ETM photo 79, view 76 (for your verification).
Hope it helps.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

THis is my set up. I don't know if that's blue/wht on cruise control works or not.

For Navi Unit C3, I used the wire behind the gauge cluster. Took out 2 screws on top of the gauge cluster and unplug connector A of the guage, 30 pins far left if you face the guage. You can connect the alternator charging to A21 of guage assembly. You can verify this by taking a look at Circuit E03 in page 15-9.

For Navi Unit C6, I tapped it to A9 wire near the ECU in the center console. ETM photo 79, view 76 (for your verification).
Hope it helps.

The ECU is this the box mounted to the floor behind the center consol?

Thanks a ton. I will check connect this tonight.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Racer

The ECU is this the box mounted to the floor behind the center consol?

Thanks a ton. I will check connect this tonight.
Yup. if I remember right, all 3 connectors of the ECU face passenger side, you can see it easily by pulling the floor cover a little bit.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:49 AM
10th Gear

Yup. if I remember right, all 3 connectors of the ECU face passenger side, you can see it easily by pulling the floor cover a little bit.

Perfect!

Thanks for the help.

Another successful navigation install!!!!

Next will be to add DVD and 3 screens in the car.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
3-piece FTW

Just compiling some notes here, I might plan on doing the navi conversion. Have read it over thoroughly. So the Navi Unit C6 taps into A9 on the ECU?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by htown
Just compiling some notes here, I might plan on doing the navi conversion. Have read it over thoroughly. So the Navi Unit C6 taps into A9 on the ECU?
This wire is pretty smart. In a case where you loose satelite signal based on speed of the car the computer knows where you are on the map and can continue to track your location, and the tuning bar built into the Navi system is just like a compass and senses the car when it turns. Good luck on your install.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Racer

This wire is pretty smart. In a case where you loose satelite signal based on speed of the car the computer knows where you are on the map and can continue to track your location, and the tuning bar built into the Navi system is just like a compass and senses the car when it turns. Good luck on your install.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
what is Helm ETM
Old 05-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Helm Electrical Troubleshooting Manual...very important if you are doing the install.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Nav coversion friends and experts a question?

when I rev the engine while driving, over 2K RPM the display seems to get some light horizontal bands on it, very light you can only see them if you look close. Also when I place the car in reverse and switch gears on the gear shift, I will notice these bands, I was thinking they are some kind of interferance due to the power signals?

Since I am placing the primary power wires directly into the fuse, could this be causing my interferance, because I perhaps do not have clean power connection? It seems to be a power related issue to me? I hope it is not the signal shield or something major -

The problem is not a big one, just annoying. I would like to try to troubleshoot it and resolve it. Any Tips? or items to check?

All the colors are good and picture is good - just this interferance, and there were NO CELL PHONES in the car when this occurs, I did check that one out - I searched and saw that cell phones can be an issue, so I removed my phone when I tested this issue.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

If I remember correctly, there is a wire that goes into the Transmission switch. I would check that wire, but I will look at my ETM and let you know what I see.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Wow, last time I checked this thread there were only two pages! Nice to see the DIY was useful. Omar, I would check your grounds and make sure they are tight and if they share a ground with other components make sure you placed them exactly where I did in the DIY(I can barely remember it now, you cats are the experts). If you used shielded wire I think your best bet is to check where your power and grounds are coming from, what they share with, and if they are secure. The ground cable in the shielded wire has to be connected to a good clean ground. Sorry I cant be more helpful.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Advanced

no this all helps I will troubleshoot this weekend and let you all know.
Thanks!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by Bolamite
Wow, last time I checked this thread there were only two pages! Nice to see the DIY was useful. Omar, I would check your grounds and make sure they are tight and if they share a ground with other components make sure you placed them exactly where I did in the DIY(I can barely remember it now, you cats are the experts). If you used shielded wire I think your best bet is to check where your power and grounds are coming from, what they share with, and if they are secure. The ground cable in the shielded wire has to be connected to a good clean ground. Sorry I cant be more helpful.
Yeah, this thread has definitely been helpful. I think I was one of the first to use your install and whenever people PM me about questions on the Nav conversion, I send them this link. Thanks for doing the DIY...it's been a huge help.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Burning Brakes

This definently needs to be my next mod but i am not much of a DIY person.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Does screen look ok:

ebay Item number: 8069153126
Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Does this screen look ok:

ebay Item number: 8069153126
Old 05-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Yeah it looks fine but I would try to find one with the wire harness. It will be the harness with the wires cut off and you will have to splice wires into it but if you get that one, it may be hard to find just the harness.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Advanced

I would try and get a screen with the harness. I was a pain to solder a harness together (I should have had done a DIY on the harness too) but it would be a lot worse if you had to find a connector and pins to make the entire harness. You cant buy the Nav harness by itself so you would need to buy all the little pieces or find one in a junkyard.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi