D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dieselboy just told me it is the computer and I should run the PCM cable to it

if so can I use my exhising computer and run this pcm cable to it

what is the pcm cable

is the cable run to the computer shown in the wiring diagram?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman81
I am pretty sure that mystery box is the amp. I was looking at the list of stuff that he sent you and that is the only thing that I can think it would be.
The amp for the radio is built into the HU, the EQ is monted directly behind it
Old 03-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure then. I didn't have anything like that for my install and I would have to look at the ETM again to see what he is talking about as far as the computer goes. Thanks for the info fsttyms. Is there also an amp mounted in the trunk on the opposite side of were the dvd unit goes. I've never actually looked at it but I think I remember seeing something there.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by snowman81
I'm not sure then. I didn't have anything like that for my install and I would have to look at the ETM again to see what he is talking about as far as the computer goes. Thanks for the info fsttyms. Is there also an amp mounted in the trunk on the opposite side of were the dvd unit goes. I've never actually looked at it but I think I remember seeing something there.
No the only other amp is the one for the sub, and thats behind the rear seat
Old 03-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced

From what research I have done this is the VSP/PCM for 99 model, so I do not need to use it for the upgrade in my 03 TL
Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes now that you say that i looked at it and its the ECU. The ecu is located on the floor ontop of the center tunnel (behind the center console on the floor)
Old 03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Advanced

when I look at the diagrams and harness it seemes that there are shielded wires with five wires inside

Nav Unit 12 P connector, so do I buy a 5 wire shielded cable, or did you just buy a two wire and a one wire shielded cable and ended u running with those.

I guess the ? is as long as you shield the cables that need to be shielded it does not matter whether you run them thru the 2 or 3 or 1 wire shield?
Old 03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Next Question is

On the diagrams and explanation of connectors, it says in the table
pin 6 wire Brwn/Blk is shield signal and shield for terminals 4, #5,# 10, #11, and #12 - can someone explain that

Does that mean the wires 4, #5,# 10, #11, and #12 are to be shielded and that I attach the wire part coming out of the shield to wire # 6

This refers to Navagation description of inputs and outputs Navagtion Connector A 12 Pin 00-01 Model Service Manual Page 22-264

So can someone explain what shield signal is and how does that work for me when I am wiring - I am wanting to understand the shield wire process better, I think I know what a shielded wire is but the signal part and how to actually splice correctly I need more guidance on -

Thanks as always, I would be lost without this forum
Old 03-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Omarkamal
when I look at the diagrams and harness it seemes that there are shielded wires with five wires inside

Nav Unit 12 P connector, so do I buy a 5 wire shielded cable, or did you just buy a two wire and a one wire shielded cable and ended u running with those.

I guess the ? is as long as you shield the cables that need to be shielded it does not matter whether you run them thru the 2 or 3 or 1 wire shield?
Well, when I did mine, I got the 4 shieled wires & 2 shielded wires from Home Depot. 22 or 20 awg is fine.

A 4 shielded wire has 5 wires. 4 "shielded" wires and a bare copper wire outside the aluminum foil. So, you will connect pin 6 to the a bare copper wire. If you use 4 shielded and 2 shielded for the video, then you have to connect pin 6 to both of the "bare" copper wire. I hope you understand.

By the way, it is a pain to slice the shielded wires. Good luck. Do it slowly and carefully. You wouldn't want to open back and fix it.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Did you use a soddering iron or did you connectors and crimp them down

Also everyone is talking about buying another harness to pull pins from, is this for the climate control run from the back of the NAV display to the back of the climate unit, or for the audio, it is refered to in Ben einstein's 20+pg pdf file as the hardest part to do

can you share your experiences and advice about patching into the climate control and audio head unit when you get all the wires run up front.?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced

This is the wire I got from home depot

DO I connect the silver ground wire seen to the shield terminal?
or do I use one of the exhisting four wires to connect to the shield signal wire?

Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Question Need Help can someone answer my last ?

I need help can somone please answer my questions Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Hello

got an answer I connect the Ground Wire (the one not insulated) to the Sheild terminal

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Hello

got an answer I connect the Ground Wire (the one not insulated) to the Sheild terminal

Thanks!
Sorry man....haven't even checked this thread in a couple days. Glad to see you got your anwer though. Hope the install goes well.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Nav Unit Connector C wires 7, and 8 say they run for Diagnosis signal positive and negative, I do not see it on the wiring diagram, do I just leave those wires alone or do they run somewhere? This is for the service check signal and ground wire for it.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Nav Unit Connector C wires 7, and 8 say they run for Diagnosis signal positive and negative, I do not see it on the wiring diagram, do I just leave those wires alone or do they run somewhere? This is for the service check signal and ground wire for it.
Thanks
Just leave them alone, since it will just be hanging near the navi unit untouched.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks!

How did you al handle the ground wire #4 from nav unit connector c

Did you use the break lamp ground as stated in the pdf?
or under the driver seat, if so how?

any tips on the ground?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if any model DVD unit can be used with the 2nd Gen Navi? I found a DVD unit from a 2004 TL and the part # is different. Since all it does is read DVDs and provide data to the Navi I thought as long as the connectors matched it may work.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flydog
Does anyone know if any model DVD unit can be used with the 2nd Gen Navi? I found a DVD unit from a 2004 TL and the part # is different. Since all it does is read DVDs and provide data to the Navi I thought as long as the connectors matched it may work.
THe screen side is different (6in vs. 8in). 04TL & up has voice recg. Different hardware, so I don't think it works.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Racer

Thanks!

How did you al handle the ground wire #4 from nav unit connector c

Did you use the break lamp ground as stated in the pdf?
or under the driver seat, if so how?

any tips on the ground?
I connected C4 (GND), B8 (ILL+), and C5 (BACK LT) of navi unit to the left brake connector. For the navi display unit, B11 (ILL+), B12(ILL-), and B10 (GND) I cut the clock connector and used 3 wires from there. (Be careful, I think it's gray/white not green. I cut the trip meter connector which also has 5 wires (I think it's green from my memory, just double check this). For power(+B), B1 of display and C1 of navi unit, put them together and run to Fuse 10 Passenger's side (used the technique as stated in the pdf). I did the same thing w/ B2 (ACC) of display and C2(ACC) of navi unit, connect them together, and run one wire to Fuse 8 of Driver's fuse box.
Hope it helps.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced

On the wiring diagram and ETM it refers to drivers and passenger multiplex

what is the multiplex -is it the connectors in the fuse box?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced

Another ?

This is is really confusing me - My cut wire harness that came with my system on the Nav Unit Connector B - 16 PIN - Pin 1 is suppose to be Right signal for Audio Guidance - RGR+
It has two differnt possible colors for 99 orn/blu and 00, and 01 blu / grn

My harness is complete with all pins, however Pin one is EMPTY - No wire - the harness is definetly factory because of the heat shring and look it is cut about eight inches down.

ShouldI worry? do I need to get a pin and run my own # 1 RGR+ signal as in the wiring diagram, my TL is 03 - Did they get rid of this in 03, I do not have my ETM yet and need help

Advice Please?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Racer

Another ?

This is is really confusing me - My cut wire harness that came with my system on the Nav Unit Connector B - 16 PIN - Pin 1 is suppose to be Right signal for Audio Guidance - RGR+
It has two differnt possible colors for 99 orn/blu and 00, and 01 blu / grn

My harness is complete with all pins, however Pin one is EMPTY - No wire - the harness is definetly factory because of the heat shring and look it is cut about eight inches down.

ShouldI worry? do I need to get a pin and run my own # 1 RGR+ signal as in the wiring diagram, my TL is 03 - Did they get rid of this in 03, I do not have my ETM yet and need help

Advice Please?
Ok, after I looked at the service manual for the audio and the navi in 03. You can use A11 wht/grn for navi unit COM, A12 LT/Grn for navi unit (R+), A13, Blk/wht for navi unit (L+), and A14 wht/blk for (navi unit mute). It is interesting to look at the 03 navi system, it connects the Aud L+, gnd aud, sh aud to the onstar system interface unit. But since, you don't have the OnStar system, just connect them to the audio unit, like I said above. Yes, it would be better if you get pin #1, I really don't know why your connector is missing that. Good luck
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Racer

On the wiring diagram and ETM it refers to drivers and passenger multiplex

what is the multiplex -is it the connectors in the fuse box?
no, it is not. multiplex is different unit. It mostly controls door locks, alarm system, driving position memory system.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Thanks Khoifl

Where do I find the multiplex units? what so they look like?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Racer

Thanks Khoifl

Where do I find the multiplex units? what so they look like?
Why do you need to find the multiplex units? If for the navi conversion, you don't need to access the multiplex units, but for your info, the passenger's multiplex control unit is at the right end of dash (you have to remove the glove box).

I think it's #8, and #9. For passenger's multi control unit, it has 2 connectors, connector B is green, 22 pins. Driver's multi control unit is the same, except it is on an opposite side. (On driver's under-dash fuse/relay box, connector B is also green and has 22 pins)
Old 03-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Well I got the ETM it says

in the wiring diagram it shows B6 Blue connects to B21 Security Input (Radio SW) Passenger Multiplex Control Unit, so I thought it runs to multiplex connector B pin 21?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Racer

Well I got the ETM it says

in the wiring diagram it shows B6 Blue connects to B21 Security Input (Radio SW) Passenger Multiplex Control Unit, so I thought it runs to multiplex connector B pin 21?
No, you don't have to. Check out the stereo sound system diagram. Pin A4 of audio unit is connected to B21. So, all you have to do is cut A4 wire somewhere. Connect the Audio unit end to B16 of navi display unit and B6 of navi display unit to the other end.

A4 (audio unit) -------------------------- B21 (passenger's multiplex) (w/o navi)

(w/ navi set-up)
A4 (audio unit) --------------- B16 (navi display unit)
B6 (navi display unit) ------------ B21 (passenger's muliplex)

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Question A few more ? for Khoifl

Thanks Khoifl

Here are a few questions and need some clarification

Confirm if the following is correct?

I take the clock connector and splice accordingly

Clock Connector 3 - Red/Blk = B11 ILL+
Clock Connector 4 - Red = B12 ILL -
Clock Connector 5 - Black = B10 Ground

I take the left tail light assembly View 22 ETM and splice as follows:

Left Tail light Wire 5 Red/Blk = B8 Red/Blk ILL+
Left Tail light Wire 3 Black = C4 Black Ground
Left Tail light Wire 6 Grn/Blk = C5 Grn/Blk Backlight

Last ?
Where did you run Nav Unit C3?

Where did you Run Nav Unit C6 Blu/White it says to go to VSS / PCM connector A9?

and finally you had mentioned cutting the trip connector what was that for?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Racer

Thanks Khoifl

Here are a few questions and need some clarification

Confirm if the following is correct?

I take the clock connector and splice accordingly

Clock Connector 3 - Red/Blk = B11 ILL+
Clock Connector 4 - Red = B12 ILL -
Clock Connector 5 - Black = B10 Ground

I take the left tail light assembly View 22 ETM and splice as follows:

Left Tail light Wire 5 Red/Blk = B8 Red/Blk ILL+
Left Tail light Wire 3 Black = C4 Black Ground
Left Tail light Wire 6 Grn/Blk = C5 Grn/Blk Backlight

Last ?
Where did you run Nav Unit C3?

Where did you Run Nav Unit C6 Blu/White it says to go to VSS / PCM connector A9?

and finally you had mentioned cutting the trip connector what was that for?
Yes, all is correct.

For Navi Unit C3, I used the wire behind the gauge cluster. Took out 2 screws on top of the gauge cluster and unplug connector A of the guage, 30 pins far left if you face the guage. You can connect the alternator charging to A21 of guage assembly. You can verify this by taking a look at Circuit E03 in page 15-9.

For Navi Unit C6, I tapped it to A9 wire near the ECU in the center console. ETM photo 79, view 76 (for your verification).

Oh, I just said I accidentally cut the trip meter connector instead of the clock because both of them have 5 pins.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Advanced

the wires that run to the fuse boxes passenger and driver

how did you snake them around the back of the guage cluster and glove box

any tips?

Did you take the glove box out and run behind it to get to passenger fuse box?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
the wires that run to the fuse boxes passenger and driver

how did you snake them around the back of the guage cluster and glove box

any tips?

Did you take the glove box out and run behind it to get to passenger fuse box?
when I did mine, I had the glove box out and the gauge out also. So I just snaked it behind there to be nice, clean and out the way. goodluck.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
when I did mine, I had the glove box out and the gauge out also. So I just snaked it behind there to be nice, clean and out the way. goodluck.
Yep, I went the same route...less of a pain in the long run and I figure you're taking apart just about the whole dash anyway, why not finish it off.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Advanced

when you ran the cables to each fuse, the pdf states to not worry about splicing into the appropriate wire for the fuse

so I just pop the fuse and put the wire in the slot and push the fuse in ontop of it, won't this cause a short, or problem down the road? how do I know I got a good connection?

Also which fuse is the clock on, I red I have to swap out the 7.5A fuse for a 10A fuse on the passenger side for the clock connector any ideas on what fuse # this is?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Racer

when you ran the cables to each fuse, the pdf states to not worry about splicing into the appropriate wire for the fuse

so I just pop the fuse and put the wire in the slot and push the fuse in ontop of it, won't this cause a short, or problem down the road? how do I know I got a good connection?

Also which fuse is the clock on, I red I have to swap out the 7.5A fuse for a 10A fuse on the passenger side for the clock connector any ideas on what fuse # this is?

Thanks!
I used exactly the same fuses as the factory one. Fuse 8 (7.5A) Driver's side for ACC for both display and navi unit. Fuse 10 (10A) Passenger's side for +B for both unit. REMEMBER, a fuse has 2 sides, make sure you put the wire in the correct side which means the current has to go through the fuses. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by khoifl
I used exactly the same fuses as the factory one. Fuse 8 (7.5A) Driver's side for ACC for both display and navi unit. Fuse 10 (10A) Passenger's side for +B for both unit. REMEMBER, a fuse has 2 sides, make sure you put the wire in the correct side which means the current has to go through the fuses. Good luck.

What do you mean by correct side? What is the correct side of the fuse?

so to recap using the clock connector for ILL+ and ILL - does not affect the fuse, and I do not have to swap

Great Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Racer

What do you mean by correct side? What is the correct side of the fuse?

so to recap using the clock connector for ILL+ and ILL - does not affect the fuse, and I do not have to swap

Great Thanks!
Nope, ILL+ & ILL- do not draw that much current, but make sure you connect ACC & B+ like mentioned above.

The correct side means:

A-----fuse-----B

Now, take out the fuse and test with a voltmeter. If A side has voltage, then B side shouldn't have voltage. Then you connect the wire to B side, because B side is protected by the fuse. (For the ACC, make sure you have your key turn to ACC before testing, or else either side wouldn't have voltage. That's the purpose of ACC, isn't it?)

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
B93P TL Owner

On my factory harness (Connector A) that came with my NAVI unit, I have an orange wire located in slot A8. According to Helms, I should only have a total of six wires A4-A6, A10-12. Any idea what this orange wire is for? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced

According to the ETM it is AMP SW+B runs to your audio head unit connector A slot 1

so nav unit A8 runs to audio connector A1

for more info see 156-3 of the etm, try to get the wiring schmatic from Ben Einstein read earlier in this thread.

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
B93P TL Owner

According to the ETM it is AMP SW+B runs to your audio head unit connector A slot 1

so nav unit A8 runs to audio connector A1

for more info see 156-3 of the etm, try to get the wiring schmatic from Ben Einstein read earlier in this thread.

Good Luck
That's interesting. My ETM only has pages 156, and 156-1. Maybe this is something that does not apply to the 1999 TL model. I took a look at the radio diagram on 150, 150-1. Doesn't even have an A1 connector slot listed.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi