D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowman81
Sorry, I may have mislead you....I meant to say Electrical vice Electronic. Helm doesn't make the ETM on cd. I think its much easier to have the paper copy anyway. You'll see once you get it that you will be doing alot of flipping back and forth between pages to look at pics and diagrams of the harnesses. Sorry for the confusion.
you need to flip back and forth a lot.

Originally Posted by llangley
my last question to you guys is how long did it take you to perform the convert, start to finish? was it a few hours, or an all day project?
definely not a few hours. After I got everything including wires, tools, and Helm manuals. I took 4 hours to plan and draw my own diagram from ETM. Remember the shielded and unshielded wires you get will be the same color, so you have to divide into groups....Anyway, it took me 2 full days, 8 hrs each. Do it right the first time because you wouldn't want to fix it later.

I used this DIY by ben einstein, the first post of this thread (also the help from Bolamite) , and ETM helms. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:21 PM
LMLINNO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is a great pdf but here is my problem. i am not a very good diy person adn there is no way i could do this. if i got all of the parts, where do you guys think is the best place to have this installed for me? i know dealership is out of the question as they dont even use ky when they bend you over. anybody know someone in the new orleans, la area that is capable????

again, thanks for all the help
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by llangley
that is a great pdf but here is my problem. i am not a very good diy person adn there is no way i could do this. if i got all of the parts, where do you guys think is the best place to have this installed for me? i know dealership is out of the question as they dont even use ky when they bend you over. anybody know someone in the new orleans, la area that is capable????

again, thanks for all the help
No, I don't know anyone specifically but shop around at local places that install car stereos and car alarms. They might do it for you but it will cost. It took me 8 hrs with a friends help to get it done so it would probably take them about 4-6 hrs. See where you get the best price. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
started on this diy project today. on and off since this morning. I pre-wired and soldered everything before hand.(taking a chance with the length, but should be enough) Callin' it quits for tonight. Looking at all these wires are making me sick. everythings hooked up and hidden from the trunk up to the dash. All I have left is to put the screen in and connect all the final connects near the headunit. And of course there's a few more wires that you have to tap into. I'll let you guys know how my experience goes.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
started on this diy project today. on and off since this morning. I pre-wired and soldered everything before hand.(taking a chance with the length, but should be enough) Callin' it quits for tonight. Looking at all these wires are making me sick. everythings hooked up and hidden from the trunk up to the dash. All I have left is to put the screen in and connect all the final connects near the headunit. And of course there's a few more wires that you have to tap into. I'll let you guys know how my experience goes.
Nice...I'll be looking forward to hearing how it all went. You're right, looking at all those wires is crazy and figuring out where everything goes. I didn't pre-wire mine when I did it, but that probably would have saved me a little time on the install. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Instructor

how did you guys wire the 3-wire connector(clk2,aci,aco) on the back of the navi screen? i read the diagram, supposedly it connects to 'plug b' on the climate control harness. the 3 pin slots on the climate control plug is nonoccupied. will the wire pins from the 71-1721 harness fit into that b plug? thanks...

btw, i'm pretty much done. i started up everthing and it appears to be fine. will do a full evaluation when i get the three last wires that control thr climate from the touch screen.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Racer

how did you guys wire the 3-wire connector(clk2,aci,aco) on the back of the navi screen? i read the diagram, supposedly it connects to 'plug b' on the climate control harness. the 3 pin slots on the climate control plug is nonoccupied. will the wire pins from the 71-1721 harness fit into that b plug? thanks...

btw, i'm pretty much done. i started up everthing and it appears to be fine. will do a full evaluation when i get the three last wires that control thr climate from the touch screen.
you would do the samething for mute, gnd rg, L, R of audio unit. I don't know about 71-1721, you have to try it out. When I bought my climate control unit, it came with the cut harness. So, I just removed 3 pins from the cut harness using a needle and placed it onto nonoccupied spaces in the car. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

good lookin out khoifl. this wasn't mentioned in any of the writeups so I just wanted to see what everyone else did. thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Alrite, the update on this diy. I got everything hooked up and thanks to a few members on this board. i appreciate it!

Everything appears to be working, the signal is good with accurate location.

I have one problem though. I have to re-enter my security code to the navi everytime I start the car (I do not have to re-enter the security code for the radio). Does anyone have any ideas why this might be so? The first thing that came to mind was the security wires. Maybe I didn't run it right. Second ideas were B+, ILL, ACC, GND wires. Everything functions 100%, except having to re-enter the security code after starting up the car. It does not make me wait for it to receive a GPS signal. It resets the clock to pacific instead of my saved eastern setting. The time function stays the same.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Yeah sounds like it is the wire that is hot at all times isn't hooked up properly. If I were to disconnect my battery I would have to do the same thing, so for some reason you are not getting power there all the time like you should be. Just a quick guess for now, I'd have to look at the ETM later to see if I could figure that one out.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Ever since I read this thread I've been itchin to do this. I've been lookin around and the Brains and Screen are not easy to find. Your buddy Diezelboy28 on ebay has some stuff out there for the GPS unit and I contacted him about it, but he offered me the entire system for 1500. That sounds a little steep for me considering most of you guys did it for less than 1K so I declined his offer. Oh well. I'm getting the Garmin Nuvi and trying it out next weekend and I'll see if this whole GPS thing is worth it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Yeah, diezelboy28 usually has all the parts that are needed but I agree...he is way overpriced for what you can get the stuff for. I had an extra dvd drive that I sold him for $375 because no one from here was interested...but I would have sold to someone from the boards for $200. Sorry man, wish I knew earlier.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Another Successful install non-navi to Navi conversion for a 2002 TL-S...

Finally got around to messing with this thing. Everythings working good, thanks bolamite, khoifl, snowman!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Racer

Another Successful install non-navi to Navi conversion for a 2002 TL-S...

Finally got around to messing with this thing. Everythings working good, thanks bolamite, khoifl, snowman!
No problem. I'm glad I could help.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

No problem, I don't think I could have done it without the forum either.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

ive been wanting to do this for a while, seems a bit complicated though...
what is kind of turning me off from doing this is, what are you guys going to do when you sell your cars?
i assume you cant sell it as is cause if anything goes wrong, its not under warranty, will it be easy to yank out?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by big mike 13
what is kind of turning me off from doing this is, what are you guys going to do when you sell your cars?
i assume you cant sell it as is cause if anything goes wrong, its not under warranty, will it be easy to yank out?
If I were to sell the car, I could

1) Un-install it and sell it without the navi. -This is very easy, if I had to estimate the time it will take. I would say about an hour or less to take out the navi and put everything back.

2) leave it in there so it will add value. As far as being under warranty, I'm sure they probably won't warranty the navi. But as far as non-warrantying stuff on the car, I doubt they will notice that we did the conversion. Unless they were looking in particular for wires in the first place

Just do it mang!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I have a question, WHY EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT? You sell the car, its their car. Its a as is sale. of course you can sell it.if something goes wrong while you own the car you fix it cause you installed it
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ i dont know, i guess i would feel guilty if soemthing went wrong with my install when it is passed along to the following owner and hes dicked out.. shrug.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ i dont know, i guess i would feel guilty if soemthing went wrong with my install when it is passed along to the following owner and hes dicked out.. shrug.
If somethings not going to work, most likely its going to happen shortly after you do it.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

And chances are you are not going to sell it before the factory warranty is up. So if the warranty is up and you sell it, it wouldn't have been covered by warranty anyway. I wouldn't worry about it either..as you can see I did it and didn't look back.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Leese!

So does this work in a Canadian car and is there software to include Canada?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Hi Folks

Will need your help - I purchased the system from Dieselboy28 - Paid the 1500 - for everything - he says he has included all the plugs, connectors, and switches, all I need are cables

he also included the acura wiring diagram - so will me having the connectors make life any easier from a cable perspective?

Even if you have all the connectors, do you have to do all this splicing?

Check out what I got and let me know how I should prep I have studied all the threads the PDF file from Ben stein and the DIY page with the pics.

Here is the link to what I got from Dieselboy28 -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I hope to install this weekend.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Yes, you will still have lots of wiring to do. The harnesses are there which makes it a little easier but you will have to splice all the wires in. I am not sure what wiring diargram he is giving you, but IMO haveing the ETM from helms would be much more helpful. You will also need a new hazard light switch to fit the new dash piece. And probably some random screws for attaching the gps antennea, the dvd rom unit and the screen. If you are planning to do the install, be sure to have an entire day set aside. It took my friend and I quite a while to do it. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Question Thanks

Thanks

Are you talking about the Helms Electronics Troubleshooting Manual?

I can order that.

Also any advise on the splicing? Are we talking put each wire together and electrical tape? or did you guys wirenut? or sodder?

Also should I meaure the distace and complete all the general wiring/splicing first then run it through the car?

I also got the new emergency flasher switch? where does that attach when you install the nav screen does it have an area it easily screws down to?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by Omarkamal
Thanks

Are you talking about the Helms Electronics Troubleshooting Manual?

I can order that.

Also any advise on the splicing? Are we talking put each wire together and electrical tape? or did you guys wirenut? or sodder?

Also should I meaure the distace and complete all the general wiring/splicing first then run it through the car?

I also got the new emergency flasher switch? where does that attach when you install the nav screen does it have an area it easily screws down to?
Yeah, the Helms Electronic Troubleshooting Manual will be very helpful. I would recommend ordering it if you plan on doing the install yourself.
Here is a great link to cover the basics of splicing but here is how I did my splicing. I used the heatshrink environmental splicing because I had access to those splices at work. Any way you feel comfortable with will work as long as you do it right. One tip is if you do the inline splice (where the wire it still in a straight line) I would stagger where you're splices are so that you don't have on huge bunch of splices when you try to tuck all the wires back in the dash.
When I did my install, I started from the DVD unit and wired everything from there to the front. So i cut lengths of wire (some wire also needs to be shielded, pay attention to that) and connected everything to the harnesses that plug into the dvd unit. Once that was all done and plugged in, I cut the lenght to what I needed one wire at a time. If you do it this way, make sure you label or make a schematic of what wire is what. It will save you a lot of time later on. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.

Oh yeah, the new hazard light switch will just clip into the new dash piece. There is no mounting or screws that go along with it, it just snaps into place.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks snowman81

I am sure I will have more questions, once I get all the parts today
Where can I buy your tyco items you posted at autozone? or do I have to special order

Would a car audio install place have butt/barrel crimp connectors, any idea on where to purchase?

Can you also explain the shielded cable concept, I buy what kinds of cable when I go to the store? and do I buy shielded cable or do I have to do something to shield it?

sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new to all this.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by Omarkamal
Thanks snowman81

I am sure I will have more questions, once I get all the parts today
Where can I buy your tyco items you posted at autozone? or do I have to special order

Would a car audio install place have butt/barrel crimp connectors, any idea on where to purchase?

Can you also explain the shielded cable concept, I buy what kinds of cable when I go to the store? and do I buy shielded cable or do I have to do something to shield it?

sorry for the dumb questions, but I am new to all this.
Those aren't dumb questions at all. I can't give you a place to buy the splices or the wire only because I was fortunate enough to have access to all that from work. You can probably find everything at homedepot or some hardware store.
Shielded wire is basically a wire with that has the normal casing around the outside, then around that is a shield and another casing. This basically stops interference. Here is a pic so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

You will only need shielded wire with 2 wires inside of it. And the rest of the wire can be regular non-shielded wire. You will be able to tell from the ETM what needs to be shielded and what doesn't. Hope that clears it up a little for you.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks again
here is the new point of confusion

What is the silver box for - I got a silver box that 6 inches by 6 inches about two and a half inches thick - it has a slot for the naviation harness on one side, and four connector slots on the other?

Where does this piece fit in all of this, I did not know about this part. is it the computer?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced

"the new brackets will have nuts on the back to hold the bolts which mount the Nav screen. Thats the only difference in the brackets but it is very important so make sure you have the nav brackets." THIS IS A QUOTE FROM BOALAMITE's earlier post

DO I have to get new brackets? my screen came with little brackets already attached, do I need to also replace the orignal brackets in the center console for the screen to fit?

Did you buy new brackets or use the old ones to mount the screen?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced

From what I have read
could this silver box be a VSP sensor from a 99 - and It was included in my kit if I need it?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Hmmm...any close up picks of the silver box. The other thing I was thinking is it might be the external amp for the stereo. I don't think it's the VSP because if the car did not have it in there, I don't thing the speedo would work properly. I didn't replace my stereo when I did my install so I didn't mess with that at all. The brackets this is really up to you. I didn't replace my brackets and I got everything to fit in there fine although mounting the screen was little bit of a pain because I had to reach around the back of the brackets to hold the nut while I threaded the screw. It may be easier and less stressful just to replace them. If you did get the new brackets, then you probably just need to make sure you get the right screws to fit the brackets.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Advanced

well There is no mention of this box in any wiring diagram or install info, I will post a picture soon, and you all can tell me what you think.

Getting back to the brackets, is it possible to mount the screen to the old brackets, you did it and it worked, so it did not feel loose? The four screw holes on the screen in each corner, do they fit the non nav brackets? when you had to reach around the back was that the only screw you were able to place? instead of the four front ones?

I did not get the brackets, and don't know where to easily find them, I will ask dieselboy28 who sold me the system to see if he can get them for me.

Thanks pics soon of the mystery box.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

I am pretty sure that mystery box is the amp. I was looking at the list of stuff that he sent you and that is the only thing that I can think it would be.
As for the brackets. I see them pictured here but there is no item number to order them.

I am sure if you e-mail www.acuraautomotiveparts.org they can help you. They have always been able to help me with everything that I have ever needed to order for my car. I was able to put a screw and nut in all 4 corners to hold the nav screen on. It's not loose or crooked so I am happy with it.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Advanced

thanks snowman i am taking pics of the box
if it is the amp, I can keep my existing amp right, so I don't need to mess with it
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced

where did you get all your screws and nuts, home depot
or did you order them from the automotive parts link listed above, if you did buy them can you send me a list of the screws nuts I need, I think I only have the ones to mount the dvd unit in the trunk
Old 03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Yeah, I see no reason why you would need to replace your stereo or your amp. You're existing stuff will work fine, but you will have to tap into the stereo harness so that the ladies voice will come out the speakers. You'll see that in the wiring diagram though. You may also want to check into getting that extra harness to pull the wire from it. It's referenced in this thread somewhere, probably in the first post.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Omar\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture 017.jpg[/IMG]

So is this the amp?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Advanced

how do you post pictures?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Advanced

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...72_55634308110

Check this out its the kodak easy share I posted the pics there let me know if this is the amp or not? THANKS

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Non-Navi to Navi