Custom "ROOF" mount spoiler we're working on...PICS inside! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a sarona kit but i had to cuztom mine on and what

Originally posted by miltcharlie
What I am saying. Is at even 60-75mph you will more then likely experience a fishtail effect. It may not be extreme but, chances are you will notice the lack of feeling in the ass of the car. And God forbid that you are in a high wind area, ie.Oklahoma.
So why spend money on something that does not enhance you ride.
Look in dic under (modify).

is right if you put the wrong wing on you will fishtail it happened to me a while back. but i'm not sure but the roof spoiler if it does affect the car that much.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's safe to say that for most of us, designing a spoiler that does actual productive work is beyond our means and knowledge. Some of us here may be able to make something that looks great, but may not be productive in the workings of our car. The results of changing the airflow over any car is unpredictable--ranging from lowering the top speed (as is the case with the Ford Mustang and factory spoiler) to increasing stability greatly (as is the case with the Audi TT, when they added the small lip guy on the rear after 2001 due to cars spinning out and losing control on the Autobahns of Germany.) So, as they say, Caveat Emptor!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Instructor

one more thing--as devious as this may sound, has anyone thought of buying the Sarona one and making a mold from that one?
Old 05-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Lord Ubber

Now that the argument hase been commuted by both sides of the table.

Daimler650 has a point
Maybe suggestions are now in order.

Maybe if directional vents could be installed, then the down force could be sent down and over instead of up and away.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey asiankidd? Get a life.
U dumb sun ov a bat.
If you want to spend your money and look like a a$$hole on your own.
Fine!
But a bad idea is a bad idea. And If you don't understand the concept of a forum. Then U r as dumb as they come

And for your infomation (u sun of a bat). Wind and ran does effect your cars handling and to have no down force on your trunk does make a diff.
hahah sun of a bat? alright then a$$hole? hahah even better, anyways your childish attitude fit hand in hand with the information you provide, first of all a majority of us spend time driving in city traffic with speeds under 60mph, mind you a DAMN PLANE WITH WING DESIGNED FOR DOWNFORCE cant even take off at that speed!!! and you think a roof spoiler is gonna effect a 3800lb car? your a joke if you think that, and say even at 100+ mph, you might as well consider dirty and bird dung a factor of turbulance and force and lift, mind this the wing is gonna be attacched by double sided tape, any forced exerter by the wing that is even revelant, would simply rip the wing off, but time after time you notice that roof wings that are manifactured for cars these days stay ON. now im not saying that wings are totally worthless and serve no purpose. given a big enough wing(clearly not a roof spoiler) a cars downforce can be effected. i dunno how can you flame people for these mods you know for yourself in the first place that they all been for 1 reason and 1 reason only, (DECORATION). knowing that, have a nice day now

JON
Old 05-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Lord Ubber

Final point. rear roof spoilers are usually on hatchbacks. They need the extra FORCE on there roofs.
Now I am done. No more to say. That's all. finished. done!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

haha... ya nikkahs are funny!!! HHmm, can a 5 lb roof wing cause our heavy ass car to fishtail?? I better tell my friends with roof wings to hurry and rip their **** off before they wreck their cars!!

I DONT THINK SO TIM!!!!! heh
Hey Ron, how much are you charging?? Can you make one the exact shape of the ones i've seen on S classes?? Thanks
Old 06-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Race Director

Anyone have a pic of the S Class ones everyone is talking about..
Old 06-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Banned

Final point. rear roof spoilers are usually on hatchbacks. They need the extra FORCE on there roofs.
Now I am done. No more to say. That's all. finished. done!
Wow, an argument and I missed it.....oh well gotta get my licks in. Final point???? You never made any real points in all the post I read of you. Rear roof spoilers are usually on hatchbacks cuz they don't have a trunk to put a spoiler on, not because it belongs on a hatchback. And no hatchbacks DON'T need that extra FORCE on their roofs (how the hell is a rear roof spoiler providing that extra FORCE on a hatchback's roof?, the added weight?). Using such vague examples and then contraditcing yourself all within the same post makes you look like an idiot.

Oh well........all I wanted to say to those people who wanted a roof spoiler on their TL is that to try a M3/M5 spoiler lip. I know some1 had it as a roof spoiler. I have no idea if he had to modify it but it looked nice.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Instructor

I guess people misunderstand what is a difference between a wing and a spoiler... I don't want to get too nik picky about the terminology: but I believed Wing generally considered as an apperance enhancement instead of a functional piece.

I believe one Magazine (C&D? MotorTrend? Road&Track?) did some very extensive testing (and a little history) about wings and spoilers couple years ago.

Another point is people do interprete the Aerodynamic as "Down Force" That's wrong. The function of the spoilers and even the whole car (body) design had an effect on both the Drag and Down force... Most of the Hatchback's wing doesn't used as a downforce device but to decrease drag for the boxy body style.....

now for some who put a 'roof spoiler' that is actually sit higher than the roof line really do harm for the whole car's aerodynamic, but instead someone here said "it will create too much down force and make the car fish tail", which is totally wrong, the spoiler probably slow the car's top speed down dramatically... and if it really "creates downforce" the car's front end will be lighten up and thus have worse feeling (less grip= unstable) on the front wheels. Not to mention Understeer and unfavorable change of Handling characteristics at hi speed corners... that had nothing to do with fish-tailing..( fish tailing means an uncontrollable manner due to loss of grip at the rear end, ...mainly driver's lack of ability to control/ recover from oversteer... do you agree??)

Last but not least, roof spoilers on cars with trunks is merely a show piece. ( I saw one comment on the BMW AC Schnizer roof spoiler says ".. it will have a better visibility on Hiway since rain won't drop on it.." I doubt that, if wind don't go thru there, then the water accumulated on the windows before the car's running at highway speed will stay on the windows forever, the rear visibility will be impair with those water drops staying there, right??)
Old 06-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

awesome!!! i love those things - i wish GT Styling made one of the dark lexan ones... like u can get for stangs
Old 06-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Ok i guess
Old 09-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

what ever happened to this roof spoiler?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TL BIGDOG
what ever happened to this roof spoiler?
the mold they were working on cracked so they stopped prodcution on it for a lil while.... i really hope they make 1...
Old 11-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THIS ROOF SPOILER?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Rock Star

they are more available now ive been quoted 300 w paint............for one def gonna get one peace
Old 11-21-2003, 12:08 AM
l33t

lets see some pics!!!

come on ron!!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Burning Brakes

yea lets bring it on Ron.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by shimbo519
o baby!! im assuming for a TL right???? Keep us updated!
hmmm.... acura-tl.com forums..... Its for the new Greyhound buses....
Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Here is my take.

It may look good but here is something to think about.

I used to drive a supra and the factory spoiler is pretty big. I would take the car out and do a bunch of high speed run with group of people. When we pull over, I noticed a lot of condensation under the spoiler. What does this mean? Well there is a lot of downward force on that spoiler. What does that mean when the downward force is pushed against your rear windshield versus the trunK? How much force does it take to break the glass?

I agree with the other poster regarding how the aerodynmic of the car may change but I would be more concern about having the glass to re-inforce the spoiler.