Custom Cold Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 05:48 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Custom Cold Short Ram

This is kind of crazy, but is working so far....

My old short ram:

My custom:

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So basically you used that black rubber tube to extend the short ram into the hole? Didn't you have to take off your bumber to attach the actual air filter to the short ram tube? Where did you get that black tube from? Is it from the stock oem intake?
Old 06-15-2001, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Can you tell much difference between the intake as it was originally and how you have it now?

Which seems better?

Old 06-15-2001, 06:16 PM
Retired MOD

Yeah, the black is stock. The silver is short ram. No I didn't have to take the bumper off. just took some plastic screws from the bottom fender liner. Then I put the filter on the short ram un pushed it up through the hole, then attached to the stock intake. It only took 20 minutes.

Originally posted by 3.2 TL:
So basically you used that black rubber tube to extend the short ram into the hole? Didn't you have to take off your bumber to attach the actual air filter to the short ram tube? Where did you get that black tube from? Is it from the stock oem intake?

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 06:20 PM
Retired MOD

Well it sounds a lot better, a little quiter and deeper. Now I don't know is the sound is all cause by the putting it under the bumper ot the stock upper part has something to do with it. You could feel an slight difference at high speed since is taking cooler air. I know one thing that the sound that comes from the short and CAI is from the tubing and not from the filter, because I took the filter off when I had it install as short ram and it was making the same noise. Hope that helps
Originally posted by jumpman:
Can you tell much difference between the intake as it was originally and how you have it now?

Which seems better?

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 06:44 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't think this setup is a very stable one. your costum intake has no brackets securing to the car so it will move around whne the car travels..

i could be wrong tho.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:49 PM
Retired MOD

I thought the same thing. but it has proven stable for now. I have gone full throttle and nothing, so is cool for now. The stock holds a lot better than short ram, and the short ram is now in a vertical possiton, the heaviest part of all this is the filter an it doesn't seem to be pulling the intake down.

Originally posted by UW TL:
i don't think this setup is a very stable one. your costum intake has no brackets securing to the car so it will move around whne the car travels..

i could be wrong tho.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

seems ok. doesnt look that great

keep in mind that the resonator on the bottom of the black stock tubing is limiting the total power gained...though its probably making it a bit more quiter than a real cai

make sure you pluged all those holes on the bottom of the aem pipe
Old 06-15-2001, 07:22 PM
Retired MOD

yeah it doesn't look as good as a full regular CAI, but it does the job. So that's the resornator, someone told me it was the box under the bumper. Who knows....Oh yeah the holes are plugged.

Originally posted by mr tl:
seems ok. doesnt look that great

keep in mind that the resonator on the bottom of the black stock tubing is limiting the total power gained...though its probably making it a bit more quiter than a real cai

make sure you pluged all those holes on the bottom of the aem pipe

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

The box under the bumper IS the resonator box but there is also an S-shaped mini-resonator under the stock pipe as well.

Looks kind of Ghetto considering I sweated like a mule for 2 hours putting my CAI in today.

CHEATER!!!

------------------

Under Body Kit/Rear Wing Spoiler/26 Piece Wood Grain Console/BurlWood Shift Knob/30% Smoke Tint/Comptech Sways & Springs/02 Tails/Altstadt I's (TBI)/Clear AEM CAI (TBI)

More Pics
Moderator Acura-TL.com Tires/Wheels Forum
Old 06-15-2001, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by adamyankee:
Looks kind of Ghetto considering I sweated like a mule for 2 hours putting my CAI in today.

CHEATER!!!

cool, so it was worth the $$ I spent to have mine installed
Old 06-16-2001, 01:27 AM
RWD convert

Just get a real small dry shot of NOS. With nitrous' intercooling effect, there's no need for all this CAI bull-shiznit!

------------------
Y2K SaTiN SiLvEr BoTTleFeD 3.2TL
-AEM Short Ram intake
-AEM Tru-power pulleys
-NOS 70 shot wet Nitrous System
-Magnaflow exhaust
-Ground Control coil overs
-BLITZ 1.3 kg radiator cap
-Factory underbody kit and Wing
-Mesh grill
-Body color door handles
-20%/35% Llumar Platinum tint
-Räzo Shifter
-2 Rockford 10" XLC subs/Boss Audio CLR60 amp
Old 06-16-2001, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 3.2 TL:
That setup seems alright, but i was wondering about two things. First, arent there O2 sensors that you have to attach to the holes of the silver short ram tube? If so where did you attach the sensors? Secondly, does the black stock rubber tubing bend at all? If it collapses than you really would be restricting air flow, right? It seems cool though!
Since he used the stock pipe from the throttle body out to the AEM pipe, his hoses are still attached normally.

Old 06-16-2001, 11:26 PM
Racer

That setup seems alright, but i was wondering about two things. First, arent there O2 sensors that you have to attach to the holes of the silver short ram tube? If so where did you attach the sensors? Secondly, does the black stock rubber tubing bend at all? If it collapses than you really would be restricting air flow, right? It seems cool though!