Cracked out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 01:21 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cracked out...

Today I was driving down I-81 and this ****ing truck starts spewing rocks out of the back of the truck. To make a long story short, 3 huge ass rock chips on my hood. No dents just chips. Is there anyway to fix it (make it look cosmetically better)? Is there anywhere I can take it, like one of those places that fix stuff like that
Old 11-05-2001, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Try the touchup paint. There was a thread discussing the proper way to apply the touchup paint, try doing a search. Just remember, clean the surface thoroughly and heat it up with a hair dryer. Apply the touch paint with a tooth pick start from the center and work your way out. Do not over apply the paint. You may have to apply several coats performing the same procedure.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BakedWafer,

Sorry that happened, it's sooo frustrating. Were you, by chance, able to get the truck company name and license plate? If so, they have a department where you can call and get money for the repairs. With my previous car, my wife had the quickness to get all the information...and they paid us like $700 bucks towards repainting our entire hood. On this car, when a dumptruck caused 5 chips (down 2 the primer), my wife couldn't get the same info as the truck was driving in the opposite direction. If no, she would have gotten $ out of them and we would have had the 2 panels repainted (c'est la vie).

Best wishes on either getting the co. to pay for it or touching it up yourself (don't expect perfection). I'll try to find this print out from a site that listed the most detailed instructions I've seen. Also, Popular Science or Popular Mechanics (I'll look at home) has a great article w/ detailed instructions also.

Take care
Old 11-05-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro

Some advice for touch-up:

http://carcareonline.com/paint_chips.html

Hope it helps!
Old 11-05-2001, 11:01 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Information

If you could print out that information that would be great, it was a ORCA truck, truck #12 I believe. That's all I really know right now.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:02 AM
Pro

Baked Wafer,

That's all the info. you need PLUS the date & time (they'll also ask for that). Find the co. phone # and call them. You will need to explain to the receptionist what you are looking for and she should be able to direct you. Normally it's someone who takes care of property damage. BTW, what kinda company is ORCA? Before you call, go to at least 1 body shop & get an estimate on repainting the hood. When you speak to the mgr. explain the incident, give all the information, and the estimate for the damage caused. Where you alone or w/ a passenger? If w/ a passenger, provide the name of them too (they'll be a "witness"). The mgr. will probably ask for a second estimate and possibly even to see your vehicle. Comply w/ everything, be persistent and patient and they will cut you a check for the repainting. In this event, don't even THINK of PDR (paintless dent repair)! Have the repair done right (repainting the entire hood or spot painting..depending on the location).

Remember, be persistent...they're truck caused YOUR damage and don't let them weezle out of anything less than repainting your hood!

Dayam! Wish my wife had been able to get the info. on that dumptruck!!!!!