Crack on windshield - Any suggestions ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 08:33 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crack on windshield - Any suggestions ??!!

Today morning when I took my car out of the garage, I found a 4 inch long horizontal crack on the windshield, on the passenger's side. I called up the dealer for a quote on the price to replace the windshield and he says it would cost $750 for an Acura TL windshield while an aftermarket one would cost about $495. Of course, I would prefer the Acura one. Do you think the cost is excessive ? Are there any other options ? Do you think I should contact my insurance company for it (State Farm deductible 500) ?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 01-30-2001, 03:10 PM
Acuras Only in

I have had a crack on my windshield for several months now & I am getting use to it

I will get a Acura one when the crack gets bigger. So far so good though ..
Old 01-30-2001, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Angry

I was headed from Columbus GA to Atlanta GA when a rock hit my windshield. I have a big crack in the center bottom of my windshield. I called the Acura Dealer and they quoted me $565.90 Installed for a Acura windshield.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro

Thanks guys for the replies. I got a quote from another dealer for $579 installed (for an Acura windshield), which was a considerable saving over the rate quoted by my regular dealer (Acura of Bridgewater). I am also getting a loaner car during the replacement.

The fellow at Acura of Bridgewater, not only quoted the $750 figure for the Acura windshield, but also refused to provide a loaner during the windshield replacement. Never again will I step in there to get my car serviced.

------------------
Old 01-30-2001, 11:52 PM
Pro

I got a rock chip in the first week i had my car. Called Novus to come out to my work to fix it the next day. When the repairman place the machine to fill up the chip, A 6 inch crack formed. Needed a new windshield. Lucky my deductable was $100. But I asked for a Acura windshield!
Old 01-31-2001, 07:54 PM
Racer

i would check to see if your insurance covers any of it, in new jersey you just have to pay the $100 deductible. I would give them a call
Old 01-31-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by pv22clif:
i would check to see if your insurance covers any of it, in new jersey you just have to pay the $100 deductible. I would give them a call
Thanks for the suggestion. But my deductible is $500 not $100. Since the replacement cost is less than $100 over my deductible, I guess I will just foot the bill myself.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 08:28 PM

Question

I noticed a new crack on my wife's TL tonight. There doens't appear to be any impact mark. The crack starts on the passanger side about 4 inches above the wiper blade and extends outward to the A-pillar. Has anyone else heard or seen a problem like this? Could there not be enough tolerance in the design? For example, when going over uneven pavement, the car's metal cage puts too much stress on the glass. I'm baffled. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

I don't know if you guys have looked into it, but some states require insurance companies to cover glass replacement at no cost. I had a windshield on my old 4-Runner hit by a rock and all it cost me was about 1/2 day of waiting. Some glass people don't tell you this and will charge you regardless, so be safe and check out the rules for your state. Just call your insurance company...

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl
Acura DVD-Based Navigational system
Burlwood Shifter
Alpine 620 Changer
Heavy Right Foot
Old 03-13-2001, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

I had a crack in my Honda's windshield and I only had to pay the $100 deductible (for my comprehensive coverage, I have $500 on Collision) for a $450 windshield.

Your insurance should help you, I don't think you have to pay the entire $750. Look into it
Old 03-13-2001, 08:45 PM
Pro

Originally posted by nctl3.2:
I noticed a new crack on my wife's TL tonight. There doens't appear to be any impact mark. The crack starts on the passanger side about 4 inches above the wiper blade and extends outward to the A-pillar. Has anyone else heard or seen a problem like this? Could there not be enough tolerance in the design? For example, when going over uneven pavement, the car's metal cage puts too much stress on the glass. I'm baffled. Thanks in advance for your help.
I too could not see any impact marks at all. The crack was also on the passenger side about 4-5 inches above the bottom of the windshield.

I got my windshield replaced.

------------------
Old 03-13-2001, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work for safelite auto glass. Honestly their is no difference in an aftermarket windshield and the oem windshield. The only thing is it says acura on it. I wouldnt waste the money on the glass. And also the dealership doesnt even install the glass. They just call a glass shop like safelite or speedy auto glass to put it in. I dont reccomend safelite... They fired me!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow yalls aftermarket windshields cost a lot. I know the Acura windshield runs high but the aftermarket for me only runs $200. I pay a $100 deductible and the insurance covers the rest, plus my insurance doesnt go up.
Old 03-14-2001, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by nctl3.2:
I had a Nissan Altima several years back. It developed a crack on the windshield that spread to cover 2 a foot length. But the impact mark was 2mm from the origin of the crack. Because there was no impact mark DIRECTLY ON the crack, the Service manager (with my persuasion) concluded that it was a manufacturer error, thus covered the repair under warranty. Hope this info helps.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:07 AM

If there is no impact mark and you are in the mood to argue I am sure that you can get it fixed for free. As far as aftermarket goes I do agree with the fact that people say they are the same as the original but many of us like that little insignia that says it was a OEM part. Make sure whoever does the job provides a lifetime warranty against leaks as I did have that problem when I got it repaired in my jeep. I had it done at an autobody place since I had an accident right after the crack and the windshield wound up leaking and ruined part of the electric system which luckily was all covered for free. 700plus is way too much.. definitely check around and about 500ish is a good price. does anyone know is manchester honda in manchester, mass carries acura parts? I know they sell honda parts for like dirt cheap (OEM wiper refills - $2/pair) etc....
Old 03-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Racer

My insurance company doesn't charge me a thing for fixing windshield chips or cracks less than 6 inches in length. If it's longer than 6 inches they replace the windshield, which means I would have to pay my deductible.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:30 AM

Thank you all very much for your advice. My driveway is quite steep. I'm wondering if when she pulls into the driveway, the 4 wheels are not level, and it twists the glass to a point of cracking. I'm going to give my dealer a shot. Thank you again.