CR rating on our tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:14 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
well no shit - but those dont fall out of the sky you know. It would be impossible to design a perfect tranny and replace every car sold with the recalled one...trust me, this car isnt the only car with tranny problems - not even close.
Your right, but niether does 30K, the finance charges or the unknow thousands of dollars people have spent to buy these vehicles for transportation. And no it's not impossible, its just more financially feasible to rebuild and replace them with the same parts until the warranty expires.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Az User

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,721 Posts
well no shit - but those dont fall out of the sky you know.
no they fall out of these cars It would be impossible to design a perfect tranny um what ? and replace every car sold with the recalled onei would have taken a 6-spd man, they already replaced mine once on thier dime. ...trust me, this car isnt the only car with tranny problems - not even close.this does not excuse these problems, people buy ACURA because its suppost to be quality, thats why it cost so much, and these problems should not be there
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
you people cry way too much, if it bothers you that bad - sell the car or just get over it and be happy that they will replace the tranny (too bad its with another crappy new tranny), but they will take care of you. all this bitching on a forum wont do us any good.

I know many people with Jags and BMWs in the shop all the time with electical problems and other things - you cant tell me people didnt buy those because they thought they were quality. Its sad but the old saying "they just dont make them like they used to" is very true. we give up very good reliability for luxury, safety, and other comfort items. so trade in for a 1950 Chevy - there isnt much on that ride that could break
Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Az User

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,721 Posts
so trade in for a 1950 Chevy - there isnt much on that ride that could break
na im going back to a 5spd man civic, give me heat, ac, and a cd player, 1950 chevy to much gas money

but really what pisses me off is, to sell the car means i lose money, its trade in value is dropping like a rock, to the point were it going to be tough to break even, thats losing 10 grand in 1.5 years, i bought this car thinking it would go 150,000 miles with little to no problems, now i have a 39,000 mile car with tranny issues, and company that just waiting for the warrentys to run out, thats why they keep slapping the same crap back in there. im scared to leave town in the car because i don't want it to break in the middle of nowhere. this is what pisses me, and whining here really does nothing, but make me feel a little better by letting it out.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
na im going back to a 5spd man civic, give me heat, ac, and a cd player, 1950 chevy to much gas money

but really what pisses me off is, to sell the car means i lose money, its trade in value is dropping like a rock, to the point were it going to be tough to break even, thats losing 10 grand in 1.5 years, i bought this car thinking it would go 150,000 miles with little to no problems, now i have a 39,000 mile car with tranny issues, and company that just waiting for the warrentys to run out, thats why they keep slapping the same crap back in there. im scared to leave town in the car because i don't want it to break in the middle of nowhere. this is what pisses me, and whining here really does nothing, but make me feel a little better by letting it out.
ya I feel you - and everyone else that has had problems. and it is hard to understand why this is happening, especially if you came into this car not knowing anything about the possible tranny issues. All I know is I have 96k miles on the original tranny in my '99 TL, so maybe I dont have the required understanding for those who have had problems. good luck though (and I would probably cut my loses ASAP if I were in your shoes - saddly)
Old 11-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are you talking about? they extended the tranny warranty - I think that is just about all they could do, other than give everyone a different car.

what the hell do you want?
Not enough time to go and quote the person that said it, but in a nutshell, this is what I want:

Everytime the tranny is replaced, the warranty period on the tranny (and PCM if it was also replaced) is reset. WHY???? because what is happening is that they are replacing the transmission with a rebuilt (read: defective design just like the original one that failed) one. So what happens at 99, 999 miles and your tranny fails again? they'll put in a new one that will only be covered for 12 months or 12K miles (whichever comes first). Or worse, let's say you have 81K miles and your tranny fails, oh, no... If it happens like it happened to me that the second tranny lasted roughly 20K miles, figure it out...

As long as it is a rebuilt tranny that is being put in, I would like to have a 100K/7 additional years added to the package.

You are correct in what you said later about us crying so much... I guess those that bought the car to last at least 10 years or 200K miles (as I distinctly told the man as I was signing the papers), that have the car paid off (such as my case), that have owned honda many products (an Acura, an Oddy, three Civics, 2 VFR's, 2 Lawn mowers, a Generator, like I have) and have replaced the transmission more than once (raise my hand), will cry harder than others...

I hope that in your case, it has not happened, but we know that since you don't cry, if it does happen, there will be yet another used TL on the market...

Peace, yo...
Old 11-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Just dog it until you reach 100K and trade it in. I am on my 4th transmission and I am always on the highway driving out of town. I think that if you pay attention to the way your transmission is shifting then you will have a little warning before it goes out. I will NEVER buy another Honda/Acura.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by hiliters1975
I will NEVER buy another Honda/Acura.
Now that's the attutude that will make Honda worry. I wish there were more like you. But people out there are too far duped with the impression that Honda = quality and reliable products.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Those who haven't had transmission problems telling those who have had (myself included) to stop bitching is a bit unfair, IMO. When you spend this much money purchasing and maintaining these cars and all of your efforts are in vain, it tends to piss you off. The transmission isn't broken by bat-out-of-hell driving owners - it's defective by design. We should not fork over $30,000 and worry about using the horsepower and torque of the engine we paid for destroying the transmission repeatedly. Not that our driving styles matter at all, these cars have proven again and again that no matter what kind of care you give the transmission can still fail.

Your logic of the TL not being the only car on the market with transmission problems is fuzzy at best. So what? If a Toyota Camry has a transmission failure here or there, that's one thing - perhaps it was a bad transmission. There will be defects in workmanship on anything man made. But for you to have a car that is defective not by how it was built, but how it is designed is another. There is no hope for a good one because they all have the potential to be bad. There is NO excuse. And if people stopped creating excuses for Honda and stopped buying them, perhaps they'd do more to resolve this problem. Each transmission should be warranted 7 years or 100,000 miles without any ties to how many miles the engine or body of the car has. If Honda pays for a transmission replacement at 99,000 and it fails at 114,000 and you have to pay, is that fair? Sure, the engine has 114k on it, but the transmission lasted 15,000 - is that TRULY acceptable for you people?

Honda extended the warranty to keep themselves out of legal trouble, not because they care about their customers. Anyone who has ever had to deal with Acura Client Services knows this. I have an 02 TL and an 05 Accord V6 and when these cars leave my garage they will be replaced by Toyota or Lexus cars which keep up the image of Japanese reliability.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I will never cease to be amazed by people who bring in a 7 year old car wondering why they actually have to spend some money on a vehicle with 120k+ miles on it. They haven't had car payments in years (and have saved thousands of dollars because of it), but they're irate about the $2000 for a new tranny - while a new vehicle of that class is going for aroung $30k - I just don't get it.
My corolla have already done 120k without major repair, and my integra have already done 160k without major repair. Why can't a $30k TL do the same?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by PandaBear
My corolla have already done 120k without major repair, and my integra have already done 160k without major repair. Why can't a $30k TL do the same?
Do you really think that the cost of the car has anything to do with the quality of the design of the transmission? If so, I'd never see half of the BMW 7 series or Mercedes S classes that I do in my shop. (Hmmm - they paid 60k+...)

If you really love other makes/models - go buy one and stop whining. The later replacements tranny are better, not the "same old crap" as many would say.

Help help - they sky is falling!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:07 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Are you making more excuses for Honda?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Those who haven't had transmission problems telling those who have had (myself included) to stop bitching is a bit unfair,
The main reason we say this is because its such a old problem now and every one of us have had our chance to air our opinion, but every time some one with a failed tranny comes on airing there opinion there is a large discussion again with alot of the same people saying the same things over and over. We all know how every one feels.They are mad. Some of them feel the same way and say the same thing over a rattle. Most of us are sick of hearing about another failure and 2 pages of rants. If you (not directed at you 03CoupeV6) are that sick of it SELL the damn car. If you cant (like myself with 4 failures) live with it. Yes i hate it but there isnt much i can do about it. so ranting every time another thread comes about a failed tranny is something you dont need to do.

03CoupeV6... No one is making excuses for honda. They HAVE a problem with their design. Period. Every one has problems. Every one else compares to lexus which has very few (and is the only one that way)( and i also know 2 owners that dont beat on their lexus's and have had 1 tranny, 3 starters, numerous sets of brakes, numerous sensors go bad) Honda stepping up to extend the warranty to what they did goes way beyond what they had to. Toyota had a similar problem with a engine of theirs that was sludging up the oil. The didnt extend a warranty or offer a new engine, they simply told the customers to change their oil every 3k and have proof or it wouldnt be covered when it blew.

On my last failure it did sound like honda did infact change/redesign some internal parts, so only time will tell if the new (05 redesign parts) will last. To my knowledge No one with the new ones have failed yet.
To sum things up, unless someone can get the NHTSA to do another investigation on the TL and its tranny and deem it not safe and mandate a recall Honda is NOT going to do extend the warranty longer for us or completly redesign the tranny.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:12 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Actually, at least for the 5S-FE four-cylinder from the 97-01 Camrys, there was a sludge warranty enhancement as long as you had one oil change receipt per year.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Actually, at least for the 5S-FE four-cylinder from the 97-01 Camrys, there was a sludge warranty enhancement as long as you had one oil change receipt per year.
They had the issue on the V6 also. My aunt had that issue and went 3500 miles on a few of her oilchanges and they didnt want to cover her engine when it finally went tits up
Old 11-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Advanced

ive only had one tranny replacement. got it at 98000 miles. warranty was up at 100000. anyways, when i sell my house shortly, im going to save some of the money and hopefully buy a used cadillac cts-v. after trade in plus 10000 maybe i can score one for around 25000
Old 11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cadillac has a poor reliability record; for quite some time now. Id stick with a Toyota, TSX, or an RL
Old 11-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

exactly what years are affected?

Exactly what year TLs are affected by this transmission problem? I have a 1999 and it has been great so far, and I'm a little over 100K right now.

Anyone want to throw out a percentage of how many TLs have bad trannies?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by optomos
Cadillac has a poor reliability record; for quite some time now. Id stick with a Toyota, TSX, or an RL
The CTS has been fairly good. No major problems like the TL. No to toyota, they dont make a car that appeals to me, TSX overpriced underpowered and too small, RL over priced underpowered.

Originally Posted by rocket6871
Exactly what year TLs are affected by this transmission problem? I have a 1999 and it has been great so far, and I'm a little over 100K right now.

Anyone want to throw out a percentage of how many TLs have bad trannies?
All 2nd gens
Old 11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
All 2nd gens
oh come on.....thats not fair!..
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
oh come on.....thats not fair!..