Couple of transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:26 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of transmission question

I purchased my 2002 TL several months ago. Although I didn't notice it when I first got it, there is about a 1 1/2 second delay when shifting from neutral into drive. I also get a whine while driving. These issuse were more than likely there when I got the car but I just didn't notice them for the first couple of weeks. I just had the car in for the recall and asked them to check these issues. I was suprised when I picked up the car and the issues were not corrected. I just got off the phone with the service advisor at Rahal Acura, and he told me that both of these problems are normal. He even went a step further and said that all the TL's take a 1 1/2 to 2 seconds for the tranmission to go into drive.
So I would like to know from others if they have this delay and it is normal, or mine is abnormal. Based on what I hear will determine what the next step I take.
The reason I believe the whine is from the tranmission is that it goes away if I lift my foot of the gas pedal. Step back on the gas and the whine comes right back. If it were just tire whine it would be there wether or not my foot was on the gas pedal.

TIA

Mike

edit: spelling errors
Old 08-06-2004, 12:06 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Yes, I would say it is fairly normal to have a 1.5 second delay when shifting from neutral to drive. My '03 TL has done this since new. I just expect it and make sure I am fully stopped and give the tranny a second to engage before I go.

Sounds like the whine could be in your engine (belts, pwr steering, Alt, AC, etc..) all of these items would change with engine rpm as you take your foot off of the gas.

Best of luck tracing your whine problem.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
5th Gear

Thanks!

To clarify the whine, it is not dependent on the rpms but rather the speed of the car. The rpm's do not drop if the lock converter is engaged. I would think it is related to the output of the transmission. It is steady and does not increase/decrease while the rpms change during gear shifts.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:38 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Originally Posted by mandm1200
Thanks!

To clarify the whine, it is not dependent on the rpms but rather the speed of the car. The rpm's do not drop if the lock converter is engaged. I would think it is related to the output of the transmission. It is steady and does not increase/decrease while the rpms change during gear shifts.
Oh, in that case it is probably the CV joints or trans....
Old 08-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Racer

I know exactly what he is talking about.
It does take about a second for it to thunk into gear, but then again, any car I have driven is like that - even a 3 series I test drove a few months back.

The whine I have not determined where it is from, but I know the sound. Its a constant "weeeeeeee" that comes on, even when you barely have your foot on the gas, say coasting to a light, or are trying to maintain a speed and you check the gas. It also sounds like it is coming from the front right. My guess is two things: The Airbox, it could be the design of the airbox/resonator.
But my strong suggestion is that it is from the transmission. Reason being this is not a light transmission like that you would find in a Civic dealing with 100 or so HP. But one with big gears with lots of tight teeth. I dont think the transmission is quiet for this brand of car. The reason why I suspect it is the tranny is because during spirited launches, you can almost hear it sound like it is winding up when in first gear, before the engine growl drowns it out. Also I notice it when you add some gas to pull the car, say on the valley (bottom) of a hill on the highway and you step on it as you ascend the hill again, you hear the "weeeeee" come back on when the is a load is back on the drive train.
I think it is normal, but then again, my tranny was replaced about 15k miles ago and it kinda hikkuped on me today. (Another story). However, that sound has always been there.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I *hate* that delay, but it's characteristic. My Expedition shifts instantly...any loaner TSX or RSAX I've had shifts instantly...I don't understand the problem with my '00TL.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Mine new tranny whines. The original tranny never did at all and that was the 1st thing i noticed when i was given the car back after the replacement. New Tranny is smooth for now.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take it BACK! My dealer called after they replaced my tranny. Good news was that it went in smoothly. Bad news was it whined during the tech's first test drive. So, before they even let me have it, they ordered another transmission and now, no whine. Only symptom is that my Sportshift at times ignores perfectly reasonable requests for shifts. Odd.

I can even provide my paperwork if you need it to convince them, however the fact that your original one didn't whine should be enough to convince the dealer.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
every one of mine hafe had a slight whine not very loud but noticable. the delay is part of the desigh of the tranny
Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced

My tranny made a slight whine from new as well. It never really concerned me, but when my wife rode with me, she was always like "what's that noise?" Pretty strange she'd notice it because she doesn't seem to notice other things like that in vehicles, she just turns the key and drives.