cost of header install at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost of header install at dealer

ok guys i got my headers for my car but suddenly this tranny haunting spirit is back to scare the crap out of me, i dont wanna take any chances of the dealer trying to void my warentee for the tranny if it does poop out, but like recently julia aka bling bling girl tranny died and it was ou of the blue, i was hoping i would get a warning so that i can take out the mods and put it back to stock and then take it back in, but i just dont see the point if my tranny dies like julia's did.....my question is now, how many hours does it take for the dealer to install headers, and whats a good price to expect to pay, and just because the dealer installs the mod, does that mean they will cover the warentee still, if the tranny craps out? im looking for any advice that people can give me, thanks

JON
Old 02-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off....most the dealers won't even install Aftermarket headers, unless it's Comptech.

When i tried to get my OBX headers installed a month ago, called into South Coast Acura/Honda, Westminter, Santa Ana, Norm Reves, Cerritos...NONE of them would install my OBX headers. Theh only dealer willing to was Pasadena Acura....I'm not gonna drive from Huntington Beach to Pasadena to get headers install..but anyways they where charging $350.

It usually takes local shops to do it ~ 2 hr. For dealers/auto shop they have this "estimate book" on how much to charge for what service ....well most places are charging for 4 hours of work. I got my headers installed for $150 from GT Motorsports in San Gabriel (was recommend by other TL drivers)

If you ever look on the back of an Acura invoce/reciept ofter u got warrenty work done or when you buy the car. There is serverel

A)Warrenty apply to accessory from Honda and purchased from Acura dealer

1) Accesories installed by dealer after retail sale
a. 12 month or 12,000 miles

2) Accessoreis not installed by acura dealer
a. 12 months from date purchased

3) What is not covered
a. Mod of car or install of accesories not authorized by acura

So if Acura installs ur headers, and tells you that they will warrenty it, make sure u get it in writing and read the fine print, becaue rule #3 kills it.

Since Acura knows that they have tranny problems, they probably will not blame it on the headers, if they do blame it on the headers, u can probably fight it.

If i was you, i would call acura up and ask them all the questions you just posted and see what they say.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:48 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
My dealer in Florida sells and installs Comptech. The headers were 5 hours but they charge a special rate for aftermarket install of $45 an hour...I could buy Comptech elsewhere and take it to the dealer for install as well...
They advised they warranty the car with any Comptech mod except the s/c that just came out...
Old 02-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Instructor

This goes for stock manifolds. Since were dealing with aftermarket parts tack on .5-1.0 hrs depending how smoothly the install goes. I charge 3.0 @ 55.00/hr =165 installed
Old 02-28-2003, 04:49 PM
mushroom mushroom

I installed my headers with some help from my buddy. It took us 2hrs. If I were you I would take it to a reputable speed shop.